Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where to get a good oud in Dubai?
Tommy
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 03:51 PM
Where to get a good oud in Dubai?

Hi all,

I'll be going to Dubai next week and am hoping to get a mid-level quality oud while I'm there. Does anyone know of any shops that don't rip off western tourists? I'll be staying in the Al Ras area of Deira, but am willing to go to a good shop somewhere else in the city if it is worth it. I would prefer to pay somewhere between 500 and 700 USD. Is bargaining also customary for purchasing musical instruments there? Any tips on how not to get ripped off would be appreciated, thanks!

-Tommy
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 11:45 PM

Dear Tommy,
i am sorry but you will rib you off .............................:D
Any way, here is the all shops which sales ouds:
1. AL-Sadek music shop - Mina Al-salaam Hotel (inside it) & main Branch is next "Fish" round-about -cool name, isn't it?. Prices: 700 to 1100 Dhs (Dirhams) local current ( 1 $ = 3.67 Dhs) approxmitly-little expensive compare to the oud quality.
2. Aalam Al-fan "Art World" - Sharjah City, Al-wehda roud (Recommanded)
Princes: 400 to 5000 Dhs - He got good and cheap oud ,The 450 Dhs one.
3. Next to "Art Wold" is Salmeen Music shop-it is actually AL-sadek shop, he bought it recently
4. Holiday in Palaza Hotel - Sheikh Zayid round- inside the hotel, second floor-very good looking shop (Biggest Bull <b>shoot</b>ter i ever seen) - princes: 500 to >>>>>>>>>>>>>......................:D
5. There are some shops in Abu-Dhabi- no idea about them

How to get Contact numbers?- very easy : When you arrive Dubai-use any phone and Call 181 (Public Operator) and get the numbers from them. They Speak English , dont worry!!

500 to 700 USD (1840 to 2570 Dhs), you will get good oud from "Art World" shop. Ask for Rose or Ebony woods. I dont recommand "Gooz" wood (Walunt wood, i guess the name in english). They are bahraini ouds.

I hope that this information with be helpfull for you and if you have any question, just send me back........:cool:
Thanks
Tommy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 03:48 PM

thank you for replying dubai.

So would you recommend that I don't purchase an oud in dubai at all if I will get ripped off everywhere? Is it ok to haggle with prices? I don't think I'll be able to make it to sharjah city unfortunately because I'll be confined to dubai city.

Is the Al-Sadek shop the best in dubai then? I worry about shops that are actually IN a very touristy hotel heh. Have you heard of a shop called salloon jihad? I've heard they were decent. How bout a place called the music chamber? I'd rather buy one from a smaller luthier/shop that isn't touristy if I can. I'll be staying in the Al Ras area of Deira, are there any shops near there? Thanks again!
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 08:27 PM

hi,
Even if they rib you off, it will still be cheaper than order it from the internet or buy it from the shop in europe or US...
i recommad "Art World" which is in sharjah...... it is really worth to visit it!
AL- sadek is good as second choice....

Any way, i was in London years ago (Ajwar roud street)and i saw oud in music shop there, and the oud is cost 1200 bounds = 6600 Dhs !!!!! and it looks normal egyption oud for me. i guess they are bank ribber, not customer ribber.

Thanks

Go To Top