Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Am I sick?
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 03:41 PM
Am I sick?

What is wrong with me? Actually, not all of these ouds are mine. One was syrianouds that he just sold, and two of them have since been sold. But aren't these a great set of pictures? Grandpa Hifnawi is shining bright in the middle, and directly below is my Usta Farouk oud.

amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 04:30 PM

Well, there are certain sicknesses that, if acquired, one wouldn't even wish for a cure.

Great selection. It's a wonderful company you have there.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 05:23 PM

That's just gorgeous, enjoy them Mike. :)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 07:38 PM

Mike,

I'm afraid you have all the symptoms and signs of OF (Oud Fever), this disease is incurable , I hope u have insurance, oud insurance that is!!!

excellent collection enjoy

Aldokhi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 10:05 PM

Iam also afraid that its a highly contagious desease. But its for the best lets hope.

Mike: Do you still own the oud made with sadaf and the beutifull drawing in the back? its not in the picture.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 11:30 PM
Am I triple sick

I think this is a contagious disease, Im addicted to ouds!

Cheers,

JT

ps. believe it or not I actually have three ouds absent from this photo, as I have leant them to others.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 11:32 PM

another one
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 11:33 PM

last one:
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 12:51 AM

i could post a similar photo.

i think we all should try to get out of the house more often ...

- bill

Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 01:00 AM

WoW guys!
What collections!!
i think that Jt's house looks much similar to a Music shop than Mike's one.... having also violins here and there and a piano and maybe some other instrument not in the camera!;)...hope your selling prices are not so big!
Salamat:wavey:
elias
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 03:40 AM

:bowdown:
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 04:03 AM

Mike,

Though I consider my self as one of the many causes of that disease, having not sent to you one of my most effectual "microbes" so far, I feel guilty. Please give me your mail address and let me send one of mines, if you still insist on not dropping your fewer and want to boost it up with a Turkish oriented one.

Regards,
Faruk

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 05:50 AM
I feel much better then

Mike /JT,
I owe you guys a BIG thank you!!!!!
I thought I was sick owning 4 ouds and 3 nay sets.
I am giving away one of my ouds to a friend as a gift just to keep my wife's complaints down a little!
Thanks for sharing these wonderful pieces of art. Each one of them is a true pleasure to watch. I am sure that all of them would be a pleasure to hear.
Enjoy!
Bill,
Believe it or not, I do get out of the house too. I am a biker (just iver the weekened). However, it is best described by Mike and JT as an eddiction. Well, I am not willing to get out of it:D
Hatem
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 06:50 AM

My goodness. I feel a bit inadequate. I only have ONE oud. :(

JT,

That Shehata at the bottom left is beautiful. I'd love to see some closer pics of just that one.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 07:03 AM

jameel -

yeah ... but what an oud!

the child's oud you caused to be "born again" is a thing of beauty - so simple, so elegant.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:01 AM

Mike and Joseph should move in togheter. And then open a Oud disneyworld attraction park. Where for a small fee you get to indulge.
:))
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:11 AM

Samir,
Great idea!!!
Count me in first inline for tickets!
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 10:08 AM

great pictures Joey! yeah i must agree...this is one disease that does not need a cure...

Samir...i still have the inlaid oud...that oud has a surprisingly nice sound considering all the inlay...i think i have a video of it somewhere...i'll try to find it...

LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 10:29 AM

Wow !

You guys know I'm addicted as well but you have a big head start on me!

So many ouds... so little time (and money)... I'm going to have to set up some more savings accounts!

Lets see... Hankey... Turunz... Dimitris... Ghadban... Fawzy... maybe I could get a 2nd mortgage.:D

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
What is wrong with me?.......

While there may be treatmentt, there is no cure.
As we admire and envy these collections I want to encourage any and all owners of music instruments to write a will and designate an appropriate heir for your treasures. Too many fine instruments are lost when your survivors don't know what to do with these things and they are lost forever. Not to be morbid, but consider the consequences, please.
my pile o' ouds...

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 02:03 PM

Hey Guys, its is an addiction, but as Elias pointed out my house does look like a music store, -get in toruble with the family alot actually....instruuments have taken over the house.
I didnt picture my 8 viloins, cello, accordion, 3 nay sets, qanun, Viola, 7 reqs(James'), 3 Bendirs, Mizmar, Kawala, Argul, 2 Darrabukas, Piano, trumpet.

Anyway, life to short not to live with these beautiful creations.

Mike I willing to merge the collection and open the fun park!!!

Cheers,

JT
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 02:57 PM

when i have to change all this strings agains new ones
i will get sik and very pour in the same time;)

regards
mourad
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 03:02 PM

Well, guys, I've only got one oud, but I've definitely got some variant of whatever bug's ailing you, in terms of instruments generally....

My special weakness is bowed strings (15 in all) - in the rebec family, a particular favorite, I've got five instruments - a medieval European rebec/viele, a kemence, Cretan Lyra, Bulgarian gadulka, and Serbian gusle. Also in the bowed instrument category, I have a thai rebab, a Chinese Erhu, two Mongolian Morin Ghuur (both large and small sizes), an East Indian Sarangi, as well as a standard European violin, viola and cello. Also a kamenche (also bowed) still under construction, and a recently purchased sort of zither hybrid called a bowed psaltery that's still on its way from the seller....

Plucked instruments (10 of them) include the above-noted oud, a lavta, a cura saz, a Central Asian style dutar, Chinese pipa, classical guitar, steel string guitar, electric guitar and mandolin, as well as a Chinese long zither called a guzheng.

Finally, the keyboards (5): an acoustic piano (still my primary instrument, despite all the distractions my household now provides), a synthesizer, electronic organ, electronic piano, and keyboard accordion.

Fortunately, my wife's not only a musician (she's the cellist in the family, and, like me, plays both lyra and piano), but she's also something of a saint, and has been on the whole quite supportive of my world music projects. However, even saints have their limits - despite my earlier inclinations, I've had to limit the number of instruments on display in the living room to approximately a half dozen at any given time. Lucky we've got a big house, and that I've got an office that can accomodate some of the overflow....

All I can say is, as long as I'm still playing them all, or using them in shows, as opposed to merely collecting for its own sake, I can persuade myself that I'm somehow holding on to a shred of dignity and self control (?!?)..... Funny, I don't drink, do drugs or even have coffee regularly....a special sort of addiction it is, indeed.....

Seriously, though, it's probably cheaper to buy a Chinese instrument, and back that up with a few recordings and a couple of books about China, than to try to save the funds to visit the place. Music, and the instruments used to produce it on different parts of the planet, give me a window onto the broader world and a daily lesson in the plurality of human community. If all people in the national and faith communities represented by the different participants in this website got along as well as occurs on this forum, the world would be a much happier (and safer) place....

All the best, Mark
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 3-17-2006 at 04:34 AM

It would be interesting to know how many ouds and average oud owner has? Several professional oud owners I have met have several, like 5 to 10. I used play and hang out with classical guitar players and they didn't do that so much. Maybe two.
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 3-17-2006 at 01:05 PM

To all those who have the Oud Fever, I guess i am willing to be your doctor. My fees are very cheap, just donate the source of the fever to this poor student who has a deep interest in oud.

I would be more than willing to receive any of the ouds as a gift :))

Enjoy them!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top