Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: egyptian oud vs arabic
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 12-18-2003 at 09:31 PM
egyptian oud vs arabic

Hi, I'm a beginner, I just bought an egyptian oud to play arabic. Are arabic ouds and egyptian ouds pretty much the same thing in terms of sound/notes?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 08:56 AM

Welcome!

An Egyptian oud IS an Arab oud by definition. Tell us more about your oud and post a photo.

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 08:58 AM

The one I just bought is off of this site
http://www.mid-east.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=O...
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 09:06 AM

This is the oud i bought, it was $300 new, with soft cover. I'm a beginner, so don't need something too expensive yet. Do you think the sound quality will be good on something like this? This is the description the gave me for it: The OUD4 is approximately 32 inches long, 14.5 wide, and 9 deep. The soundboard is a light colored wood that is left un-finished for better sound quality. The Sound-holes are lace-like. Around each sound hole on the soundboard are faux nacre mosaics. There is a dark decorated plate under the strings that protects the soundboard while the instrument is being played. The body and neck are stave construction with straight line inlays between the staves. There are eleven strings. The first course, of two strings, is nylon. The next three courses of two strings each are nylon wound. The last course of two strings and the final low string are nylon wound with copper. Each OUD4 is shipped in its own soft sided carrying case.

Go To Top