Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scientific Research on the Mechanics of the Oud
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 03:05 PM
Scientific Research on the Mechanics of the Oud

Dear Friends,
Musical Instrument Physics is one of the most complex branches of the Physics. It is normal for all to have questions in the mind, relating to the wooden musical instruments and especially their construction techniques; whose complexity can barely be understood if examined with the four basic Physics disciplines like Mechanics, Mechanical Vibrations, Static and Acoustics in addition to Wood’s Physical Properties, Music and Conceptual Psychology.
Many of the prevailing information put forward so far attempting to describe how a wooden musical instrument gives sound are either false or none proved ones by scientific researches.
However, many comprehensive scientific researches have been made on the physical features of the Violin and the Guitar coming first, many of the other highly developed musical instruments in the western world. But what a pity that many ethnic musical instruments and the Oud despite the growing interest it gains widespread, have not been scientifically researched.

A SUGGESTION:
I humbly propose to constitute a group of voluntary researchers. The members of this group must be composed of people who have studied or have long experienced in at least one of the following disciplines – Mathematics, Physics, and Engineering, Computer Programming or musical instrument construction.
The members of the group must see the task of research as a mission and must consent to consider themselves as devoted volunteers.

With my deepest respect,
Faruk Türünz

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 11:46 PM

Faruk,

That sounds like an excellent idea. A goup of people, with the right skills, collaborating to improve oud design (and the understanding of the physics involved).

I only wish I had one of the skills required to participate.

I wish you well with this worthwhile endeavour.

Regards,

Greg
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 02:50 AM
I second your wishes Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Faruk,

Regards,

Greg

Me too Master Farouk, I wish I am skilled enough to help.

All the best wishes for your research.

I am sure there are lots of members here rich in knowledge and skills ... like Al Halabi, Jameel, Mavrothis, bill to name a few.

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 03:56 AM

Thank you my friends Greg and Emad, both of you have one very precious skill like incitement. I am also sure there are lots of knowledgeable and skilful members here.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 09:55 AM

I think this is a great idea too. There was a scientific analysis of the classical tanbur that I ran into: http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2000/isbn9512251965/article4.pdf
There is also an oud based on Kasha design theories that someone made and sent pictures to Dr. Oud. It's in his compeleted ouds sections.
AGAPANTHOS
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 03:53 AM

Dear Master Faruk,
I am very glad that you make this proposal.I think that we share the same ideas. I am willing to support it by all means because i believe that musical instruments with such a long history and multiple role in the music world worths to profit from the progress of science and technology of our times.
I 've been searching for several years,to find scientific references on this subject, in many directions,music societies, research centers,and universities, without any result.
I hope that you still remember me. We have met each other many times and we had long talks on the subject of oud making.I live in Crete and the last time that we met each other was in your workshop, in Kadikoy- Istanbul where i came to visit you with my oud Master and friend Necati Celik.
I would propose to modify the title of this very important proposal-innitiative by adding the word applied to the scientific research and the word acoustics to the mechanics. These modifications rephrase the title as follows: "Applied scientific research on oud acoustics and mechanics". I hope that this is an improved version of your idea, as far as it concerns the scientific terminology.

With my sencere respect,
George
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 04:48 AM

Quote:

I would propose to modify the title of this very important proposal-innitiative by adding the word applied to the scientific research and the word acoustics to the mechanics. These modifications rephrase the title as follows: "Applied scientific research on oud acoustics and mechanics". I hope that this is an improved version of your idea, as far as it concerns the scientific terminology.

With my sencere respect,
George

Dear George, thank you for your warning to modify the "name" of my proposal. OK my friend. Of course the main target of such a research is to putforward a concrete outcome which can be applied on different wooden musical instruments. You are completely right for seeking utility at the end. My real concern -while sharing your thoughts- at the moment is whether we can constitute a voluntary researcher's group to handle the issue or not. First let's inform people about the idea, as many as we can contact, whether a member of this forums or not. We can denominate this project with the most appropriate name then. I appreciate your warning. Thank you again.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Faruk,

That sounds like an excellent idea. A goup of people, with the right skills, collaborating to improve oud design (and the understanding of the physics involved).

Regards,

Greg

I sent a convocation message to the group pages of the turkmusikisi.com website to come together to constitute a scientific research group to actualize this proposal at the same date I made it in this group.
I have received many replies from mathematicians, computer programmers, physicians and musicians but no any instrument makers. Thus, in accordance with the prevailing specialty of the people who contacted me so far the attribution of the research seems to be more academic than the one of which main target is rather practical. Probably later on after the research successfully concludes and the report is published then some instrument makers may involve in the second stage of the project which will be carried on with the aim of practical utilities.
The scientific experiments will be done at an acoustic laboratory owned by a very young mechanical engineer who is well experienced on mechanical vibrations and acoustics.
I will inform this group about the progress of the research.

Warm regards,

Faruk Türünz

AGAPANTHOS
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 06:14 AM

Dear Master Faruk,
With my response to your proposal i wanted to confirm to you my willing to support it by all means and also my interest to participate in this team which will run one or several autonomous but well articulated applied scientific researches on the acoustics and the mechanics of the oud, with my expertise as an instrument maker.
We can undertake this effort in a totally voluntary basis or we can build a research project which could be financed and implemented in the context of the research activity of one research center/university, or of two research centers,located in two countries, in collaboration.
I have in mind to contact and inform several institutions and academics in Greece ( Polytechnic School of Thessaloniki- Mechanical Engineering, the Acoustical Society of Greece ,e.t.c.)on your proposal but I think that is better to have your opinion in advance.
I have in mind that there are a lot of alternative techniques and technologies available and capable to test scientifically the acoustic and mechanical proprieties and the behavior of a wooden instrument (ultrasonic, holography, speckled interferometry,F.E.A. e.t.c.) I rather believe that it is better to give more time to talk and exchange our thoughts between each other in the context of the forum, instead of giving a wide publicity of your proposal, at once.
My opinion is that as far as concern, in general, the planning and the implementation of this effort is much better to run a /or several research project(s) in the context of the typical academic society.

With my sencere respect,
George
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2006 at 05:43 AM

Dear Friends,
The idea has echoed through the academic environment and received serious interest from some prominent experienced researchers who have served in some scientific research projects dealing with several musical purviews so far. The attribute of this proposal seems more susceptible to be an academic one rather than one which could be handled by a voluntary group consisting of people who can deal with the issue in an amateurish approach.
This particularity has a basic importance as stated by one of the friends who is an academician: A proposal like this no doubt should come from a civil initiative movement. But it seems necessary to be executed under the academic umbrella of a university to reach an accredited outcome and to show that it is a totally academic-oriented one as well.
George, do you thing that it is easy to provide and establish a collaboration on this project between two countries’ universities? I wish we could help to realize this.

Warm regards,

Faruk Türünz

Go To Top