Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Abalam
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 03:09 PM
Abalam

Anybody know very much about Abalam? I have seen it offered, and I was wondering if anybody has used it for rosettes? The price on this stuff is ridiculously high, but I am just going to keep looking around, and see what I can find it for. Looks gorgeous, and think it would look great for the rosettes. Have any of you used it for this?
For those of you that have not seen it before, here is a guy selling some on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Luthier-1-4-sheet-Pink-Select-Abalam_W0QQitemZ7...
It comes in a lot of different colors and looks--the one above is a bit too pink for me, but you get the idea.

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 01:42 PM

Jonathan
Take a look on your oud around the middle rossette.
Dincer

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 05:24 PM

It's beautiful, of course. Do you think I could make an entire rosette out of it? Or is it difficult to work with?
Thanks

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 05:36 AM

Dear Jonathan
When we talk about rossettes there are few points. First the desing of it has to have some aesthetic and style. Second the material used. If you try to use a material such as abalam then your lines on rossette has to be wide enough to show the beauty of abalam. Also abalam is a hard material which reacts different then soft material like horn under the vibration and tends to break away from the material you laminate with such as wood unless a relatively soft glue such as contact cement. That bring us to the final point which is that one should be very highly skilled to be able to use abalam unless he goes for a laser cutting procedure.
After all these points I also have to say that I never try to make a rossette with abalam so practically I do not know how it will work.
I hope my good friend Faruk Bey reads these comments and give us his thoughts along with the thoughts of our mutual friend and most skillful artist that I know today on this subject Mr. Salih Balakbabalar.
Regards
Dincer

Go To Top