Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new tanbur
Stretch
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 04:11 AM
My new tanbur

I ordered it from Cankaya, and once the Visa had registered, it only took four days to ship to Scotland. The tanbur arrived in perfect condition. I don't have a digital camera, but it can be seen on the Cankaya website: http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/frameset.htm

I've never played one before, and have been confused over the number of frets. For instance, between C and D, Cargah and Neva, there are six frets (eight if you count cargah and neva). The diagrams I have from various books all present a more simplified version with just the fourth, fifth and eighth kommas between Cargah and Neva. Phaedon has given me some help with this.

Anyway, for those who would like to hear the instrument despite my poor playing, I've recorded the Hicaz Aranagme from the top of page 44, Tanbur Metodu by Sadun Aksut. The tune starts about ten seconds in. I would have liked to have played it in time, but I was too busy trying to find the right frets! Great fun, though! :airguitar:

Rob
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 04:13 AM

Oops...and here is the soundfile:
http://www.musicintime.co.uk/Tanbur.htm

Rob
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:18 PM

Congrats Rob!

Sounds like you're well on your way! The Tanbur is a very deep instrument spiritually as well as physically! I've been inspired with the renaisance lute and vihuella music on your site (geeze, I wish I could afford a vihuella...) I can't wait to see what you come up with on the Tanbur.

Rock on - :airguitar:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 12:05 AM

Hey Rob!

cool man you are going for it.

as luck would have it, in the time that you were waiting for your tanbur, i've been able to get my hands on one in Amsterdam. you could say it's on permanent loan. i don't know the maker, it looks pretty old and the only bummer is there's a crack in one of the strips on the back, and where my right arm meets the body, the face is somehow coming apart from the body. well, it's playing ok although those structural things have an effect. also the frets have come slightly loose over time so that's not ideal. i know how to tie frets but that is a 1 day project for me and i don't have the time.

I'll post some sound samples too when i get a chance.

about what you played in hicaz. sounds nice...you can play the 2nd degree (si bemol) kinda sharp by playing it on the next higher available fret. seems weird but you'll get used to it. and the 3rd degree, the fa diyez, you can experiment with playing slightly lower. you should have frets for it, based on what you say you have available between çargah and neva.

here's what i have between çargah and neva...what's the definition of a fret? the space or the actual tie? i'm not sure exactly but i think the actual tie. so, including the ties for cargah and neva i have 8 ties. i like it, it seems to give me enough for now for hicaz and saba and bestenigar intervals.

but you know...if i can offer some advice about this, don't worry about how many frets you have or don't have, don't compare it to the theory. the theory will tell you probably that you don't have enough frets. just go with what you have and listen non-stop to Necdet Yashar, listen to his intervals, his glissandos and try to imitate it. find those frets. if you don't have it, it's probably a matter of sliding a fret 1-2mm up or down.

are you keeping your frets basically where they are? hopefully they are placed well already and you can resist any urge to slide them around drastically. i did that on my cumbus tanbur. WHOOPS. not so good idea. and placement of the bridge is important obvioulsy, just put it to where neva is in tune with the octave harmonic.

do you have a nice mizrap?

man so exciting! let's keep in touch.

regards,
Adam
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 01:53 PM

Thanks to Lee and Adam. I literally have only had it for a week, so your support is much appreciated. I love exploring new (for me) instruments and sounds. Turkish music is one of the most subtle sounds I've ever tuned into, but my theoretical knowledge of it is as limited as my practical knowledge. So I have a lot to learn. And, yes, Adam, I listen a lot to Necdet Yashar.

I wish I could read Turkish, but Karl Signell's now out of print book has just arrived in the post in the form of a CD-Rom from Usul Editions in Florida. It is a thesis called 'Modal Practice in Turkish Art Music' and contains 217 pages, 114 music scores, 10 music tracks and 136 Turkish audio pronunciations - that should keep me busy for a while!

As long as no-one minds me gate-crashing this oud forum with tanbur comments, I'll keep you informed periodically of mu progress.

Cheers,

Rob
http://www.musicintime.co.uk
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
do you have a nice mizrap?

I don't know if it is good or not, not having anything to compare it with. Seems ok. To tell the truth, I'm developing a slight pain down my pinkie despite having a very light touch on the soundboard. It's an unusual technique compared to oud or guitar playing, and I'm probably not doing it absolutely properly. Will have to go to Istanbul and get a lesson...if only!

Rob
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 10:45 AM

Dear Rob,
I´m a total newbie player-wise in this music, but I have loved tanbur a long time. My first "CD contact" with this instrument was Talip Özkan´s "L´Art du Tanbur" over 10 years ago. I picked up the CD in a music store and asked to listen to it just to hear how so ridiculous-looking instrument (sorry...) would sound like, but was "caught" on the spot. Maybe one of the most intensive musical "enlightenments" in my life - like hearing shakuhachi for the first time on radio when I was 12 or so.

I liked your clip, and was astonished (and jealous) that somebody could get so good sound out of on instrument after a week. Then I looked at you website and noticed who you were, and was not so astonished any more... I like your Renaissance music a lot. I think it´s wonderful (and unfortunately pretty rare) that musicians playing classical European music are open and interested in other music cultures.

Thank you,
Arto

Go To Top