Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud picks made of horn or eagle feather
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

exclamation.gif posted on 12-21-2003 at 04:25 AM
Oud picks made of horn or eagle feather

Dear friends,
I am searching for oud picks made of horn or eagle feather.....I want them at least to be 13 cm long.....if you know anything about that please inform me.....otherwise I thing that I will have to make them alone,and I don't have the time......
Regards and Respect
spyros:wavey:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 02:18 PM

I believe the ones made of horn are far easier to find. When I asked for some picks from Egypt, I got ones made of horn. As for the eagle feather, I think that's been made illegal. If that info is wrong, please prove me right so I can get a feather for myself! :D

TP21

sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 03:59 PM
picks

Hello fine people,

this is very interesting to know that playing the oud using a pick made of a horn or else would make a difference. I have personally met Said Mekawy and he was using a simple plastic strip. I guess it is how we shape it to give a nice sound. a round front end would give a deep sound while a pointy front end would give a louder and sharper sound. I know for sure that it should not be rough where it touches the strings it also should be between 8 : 11 mm wide. the length can vary to fit in hand. I make my own picks and I do use them in professional recordings. I can send you a sound sample if you wish. Tho bottom line is that I do not really think it is a big deal, I would not get that fussy. Take No offence please.

Have a great Christmas and happy new year. God bless.

Emad from Sydney
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sydney
Hello fine people,

>this is very interesting to know that >playing the oud using a pick made of a >horn or else would make a difference

Off course it does! A plectrum of eagle quill is the most difficult plectrum to master and the Iraqi contra the Turkish tradition of making them are different. Horn plectra can be made in lot of shapes and of different horn qualities. I make horn plectra since 22 years and also quill plectra, I can assure you is an art that is more subtle than to cut plastic strip.

Best wishes

Ronny
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 08:05 AM

that is correct.
Adel
Dirzi
Oud Lover

Mood: tamam

[*] posted on 12-25-2003 at 04:34 PM
Picks

Hey Ronny, if you can sell any horn plectra i'd be happy to buy a few, also if you can make any eagle picks, i can't get my hands on any eagle quills, i live in the usa, and they are pretty much illegal here.
hameddavid@hotmail.com
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-26-2003 at 11:33 PM
picks

Hello fine people

:bowdown:

Please forgive my ignorance. I hope I did not offend any of you by what I said. but I still wish to send my simple point across - playing the oud needs good conditions that is for sure, but what I am trying to say is that the type of pick will never ever make a good oud player. I personally recorded oud using a soft plastic strip. Please check the sound sample attached.

Do you mean to tell me that all those old oud players of the past ever cared about what type of picks they are using? I strongly doubt that. But of couse it would be very nice to have a decent pick made of a proper media regardless what it is as long as the person feels comfortable to the size and sound of it.

I finally hope that it is fine by you to disagree.

all respect

Emad from Sydney

special thanks to sound engineer Mr. George Ramzy.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-4-2004 at 08:27 PM

I find this topic very interesting. I've tried two types of horn, one kind from Ronny, and another kind from an Egyptian import shop. I find that the horn pick is very "warm" sounding in comparison to plastic. You don't hear any "clicky" sound. However, they are a pain because they chip, and lose their shape very easily. Not recomended for every day practice, unless you have large stock of horn at your disposal.

Ustaz Adel, any idea what kind of risha Farid Al Attrash used? He is my favorite when it comes to the right hand technique.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 01:10 AM

an oud player in portugal sent me a horn plectrum and i noticed the difference immediately. i had to change the way i held the pick but the sound it produced was very much louder than with a plastic pick and much cleaner (sharper) in tone. pablo advised me that cow horn is not recommended for plectrum. any opinions on that? i've heard of deer bone being used and i'm scouring the area looking for a goat's horn. any other critters fair game? ciao - "plucky" bill
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 02:47 AM

Bill, horn plectra made of buffalo-cow horn can be made of different horn qualities and also thickness-flexibility. I have tried some poor made horn plectra from Egypt made of massive horns and they are much inferior my own plectra. All my test showes that the flexibility is best obtained with plectra made of cow horns.

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 04:14 AM

dear ronny - fabulous! i'd like to try making my own. i don't have a horn in my hand (so to speak) - any chance of talking me through the process? cordiale salute - bill
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
dear ronny - fabulous! i'd like to try making my own. i don't have a horn in my hand (so to speak) - any chance of talking me through the process? cordiale salute - bill

Caro Bill, Certo...the horn you need is the pretty large horn from larger cow breeds.
You are lucky when you have good sources in Italy, to get them from. The famous water buffalo in Napoli (a friend is a breeder) is one source but I prefer larger horns from other cow species. Also some shops for hobby workers have horns and I assume that is the place where makers of medieval natural horns get them from. Forgett massive horns, when the texture is completely different and the required flexibility is impossible to obtain. Try to get a large horn and I show you how to make high quality plectra.

A presto,

Ronny

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 02:36 PM

well...i checked with two of the butchers here in the village and it seems that regulations introduced to combat the spread of mad cow's disease dictate that no part of the spine or head can be transported anywhere near the meat of the slaughtered animal. this means that if i want a cow's horn i'm going to have to go to where they slaughter them (emiglia romana) and hope for the best. i found someone on ebay who will sell me a texas long horn skull, complete with horns for around $5.00. what do you think? ciao - bill
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 02:43 PM

Ok Bill, then I can send you one of pure West African cow. Is a very large horn and you can make lot of plectra and other funny things of it... I send you a mail with price.

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 02:36 AM
horn plectrum

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 06:36 AM

Horn

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:33 AM
horn plectrum

troppo gentile! that'll keep anyone in picks for a lifetime. it's too much ronnie, i can't accept it! i'm sure i'll find something locally, even if i have to wait for spring. for your information, try the ebay site and search for "long horn." you'll be amazed at what you get. the texas long horn i thought i could buy for a fiver yesterday is now going for $100-something dollars. live and learn...
thanks again ronnie. all the best - bill
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 12:38 PM

Caro Bill, You know, this type of horns are nothing for me...I get them free from relatives so is yours. Just give me you adress and I send it. You can pay with a good old goat cheez (troppo buona) and a bottle of olive oil. :D

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 05:52 AM

ronnie - i sent you my address on your iraqi oud site. hope you got it. ciao - bill

Go To Top