Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Bilezikjian oud method
Mascun
Oud Maniac

Mood: Top of the world !

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 01:50 AM
The Bilezikjian oud method

A litte note re. the John Bilezikjian oud method, published by Hal Leonard, should any of you consider buying it.

Forget it !

His oud is tuned E-A-B-e-a-d, and all the pieces in the book are written for this tuning. And are recorded on the CD likewise. So no help there.

Not a word about plectrum technique except to inform us of how to hold the risha.

Nor is anything said about different maqam scales, or three-quarter tones, which I would have thought are of major interest to people beginning to learn the oud.

The scales he proposes are the same as you would play on a guitare, viz. chromatic, E Major, F Major, G Major, etc., and their minor equivalents, What's the point ? Any guitar tutor worthy of the name would give you the same !

The music is boring, and indeed at the beginning downright simplistic.

The only slightly relevant information I found was in the chapter "rhythms from Armenia and the Middle East", which includes one in 2/4, two in 4/4, two in 3/4, a couple in 7/8, two in 10/8, one in 9/8 and one in 9/4 meter. On the CD the musical examples are so brief as to be unuseable.

Lessons on chords (?) and arpeggios (?) follow this chapter, and the method ends with a rather dull and repetitive oud duet, which could be just as well played by a guitar duet.

Seldom have I spent my money so badly :(

Alan

Go To Top