Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nahat Oud real one
sam81dc
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 05:02 AM
Nahat Oud real one

Hi guys,

I came accorss some Nahat ouds they are a little pricey though.

They are two of them avaiable now, very good condition.

One is for $1700, and the other is $2800.

Do you guys think they worth that much ? I know these ouds are very expensive but didnot know they were that expensive.

the seller said Most nahat ouds in the market have had some work on them but the one he has are in their original.

Im thinking to invset in one what do you guys think ?

Take care,
arsalana
Oud Lover

Mood: Lost

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:32 AM

Do you have any pictures or sound files? Considering that although it's a Nahat made oud, but not all of Nahat ouds are as good. So if you don't have pictures or sound files, just play with them, and if you like the sound of one of them over another, just get that one. In my opinion if you find a fairly old instrument it is worth the money. And by old I mean GOOD OLD instrument like the Nahat.

Have fun!

Arsalan A.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 09:30 AM

I hate using the word "invest" when it comes to ouds. It's a losing investment.
As a rule, I don't think old ouds are going up in price. Sure, there are exceptions, but they are not the rule.

If you like the oud, buy it. Don't think about re-selling it. It is not easy to re-sell an oud. If you happen to find the right buyer, you are in luck. If you don't, you're stuck with it. And with a classic oud, you run into all of that nonsense about what is original and what is not. And in the end, it is often hard to prove one way or another. You buy it thinking it is all original, and when you sell it the potential buyer tells you it is not.

Let's face it, there aren't that many oud players out there, and it does not seem as though the numbers are increasing. In fact, with keyboards taking over, and Middle Eastern music sounding more and more western, to me it sometimes seems as though we are a dying breed. I hope I am wrong.
I guess the only good thing about this is that you can pick up ouds by the masters for an amount that is not ridiculously high. Is a Nahat worth $1700 or $2800? Could be. Could be worth several times that. Or perhaps less.

Just ask yourself what it is worth to you. If you don't like the instrument, don't buy the name. You have to love the instrument. The instrument belongs with somebody who loves it.

Just my 2 cents.

That being said, try putting up some pictures if you can and we might be able to give you a better idea of what similar instruments sell for.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 11:31 AM

Hey,

I agree with what Jonathan says about buying it if you really want it for yourself, but I don't see the future of oud as being that dark. In fact, I think more and more people are picking up the oud and related instruments. The keyboard phenomenon only reaches so far, and it is usually not in higher quality music.

Also, the value of these instruments is going up, just as a matter of everyday economics and also b/c more people are appreciating their value.

But all that aside, you should still take Jonathan's advice and get an oud if you really love the actual instrument, not just the idea of it. Also be careful of possible fakes. :)

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 12:04 PM

Definetly post the pictures up before you spend the money. You will get your opinions of if its a fake or not and if its worth buying for you in the end.

Samir
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 12:55 PM

To add to the comments about the oud, I believe that the oud is a very popular instrument not only in our Near and Mid East culture but in other countries remote to our cultures. Buying an oud made by a master is like buying any other magnificent piece of art. Just a few days ago an oud was purchased on ebay for over $1125 with a hefty shipping charge. That is about $1125+ for an oud made in the USA by an unheard of maker of Armenian decent. So in comparison I would think that $1700 and $2800 for a real Nahat (may depend on which Nahat and condition) appears to be a good price. To me this would be an investment.
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 07:17 PM

Thanks for all of you for your great advice guys, Im new to this to be honset and Im dealer more than a player, I have sold nearly 30 ouds on Ebay in the last 60 days.

I know its real one I have no doubt, I know the seller well and M.R Ibrahim Sukkar also agreed its real and its worth that much.

this oud is more like an antique piece of art rather than a oud to play.

Since im in Syria now ( live in VA by the way ) As you know Nahat is Syrian and maybe its the best place to buy his ouds.

One oud made by Nahat was sold in front of me for $3400 in Syria. the guy came from Jordan to buy it.

I will post the pictures tomorrow Please give me an advice.

Take care,
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:01 PM

That's bull <b>shoot</b> ........ sorry guys
i am playing oud since i was 11 years old. and i have been to syria so many times, i haven't hear about this prices before. i just heard them over the internet.
Even though the oud is made by the devil or Nahat or who is ever, the oud doesn't worth 1700 $, even if it is made from 1000 years ago.
My experience, when i was in syria, one tried to sell oud made by Mohamad Khalifa (he is making cheap ouds) for 16000 Lira (Syrian Current) (About 370 $ USD), and this price is just for me because i am from Dubai and the seller was dreaming alot by giving me this price !!!!. Next day i went to another shop and i saw exactly similar oud made by same maker with similar wood quality (Old-Dusty Walnut) and the prince 4500 Lira, and still expensive for Mohammad Khalifa ouds !!!!
I have got rose oud and i bought for 700 $ from syria and speacially made for me, i order it from maker (Moh. Ali Ajaj , Jober area, Damascus)
My advise ... this is Bull <b>shoot</b> .............. with respect to all of you guys.....:)
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:57 PM

It might BS... but on the other hand if anyone wanted to trade me all my ouds for one nahat in good condition I would do it. Or even if someone offers it for the price mentioned above and in good condition I would buy it.
Why? maybe cuz Iam a sucker. But Its definetly something to have like a peice of art you know there will never be another like it since there long gone.

Dubai 244 can you show us pictures of the oud specialy made for you? Must be nice for that price in Syria
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 07:28 PM

dubai244 This not a brand new oud, you cant compare it to Ali Kalifa ones or even sukkar or anyone. As Samir said this is more of an anitque peice of art, There are only about 300 ones that are made by Nahat family.

I will post the pictures as soon as I get them.

Take care,
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 01:38 AM

I see what do you mean guys........
With respect, i dont Believe this sellers who is selling antique oud with these prices. If have enough money, i would buy "MonaLeeza" because it has ART+History+Quality values or "Fareed Al-Atrash" oud because it has these values. And Most of antique oud i saw has history and it is made back in 1900's but these is no some thing speacial about the sound quality or the way it is made. They look (Antique) Old-normal Oud to me.........
Emagine you have Munir Bashir oud. i would pay 100000000 $ to get it, because of ART+History+Quality values
i hope guys you got my point ........
Thanks ....... :)
tchandler
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 12:14 PM

there's certainly been Nahats that sold for much more than the 1800 or even $3000 range, but I guess it depends on which nahat.
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:08 PM

Some nahat ouds pictures.
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:09 PM

Another picture of Nahat oud
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:10 PM
Another Nahat oud pic

sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:14 PM
Pic of Nahat oud

sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:28 PM
Nahat oud is it real ?

Okay guys I have attached several pictures that I took today.

its in a great shape, no damage at all, it looks old , its so light never seen a lighter oud before ( seen more than 50 ouds ) also the label from inside its dated 1824 ? but its not very clear since its okay. it said in Arabic made by nahat family in Damascus.

Please let me know what you guys think. its a lot of money you know.

Tak care,
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:32 PM

This doesn't look like a Nahat. If it is, it has definitely had work done on it, the face and fingerboard look recent.
I'm not an expert, but I've played a fair number of Nahats; none of them looked anything like this.
sam81dc
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 03:36 PM
One more pic of nahat oud

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 04:07 PM

Turn around and run. I am not a Nahat expert, but this time everything looks wrong.

DJdog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 07:19 PM

I have owned three Nahhat ouds. The oud you show is definitely NOT a Nahhat, and you should run even faster than Jonathan tells you to!! (P.S. DJdog is the former Djangodog, who is the former Stefan Andalus, who is really Steve Bayne)
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 07:36 PM

Yes... Just Run and dont look back or you might turn to a solid salt pillar ;)

But really this is not the type of oud that you should believe is a good quality nahat. If in deed it is one surely has had soo much done on it that you cant call it that anymore. It might be a good oud but not worth the kind of money he's asking for.

Look around and you will see what reall nahats look like
http://www.droud.com/nahats.htm

Look at the link above you have a good number of oud pictures made by the nahat family... They dont look anything like the oud your looking at.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 09:40 PM
Nahat ?

I have 2 Nahats and studied many many more. I don't see anything on that oud that remotely resembles Nahat workmanship or style.

Furthermore, to be a Nahat, it would have to be at least 50 years old by now. This looks recent.

Be careful.

Spyros C.
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 09:42 PM

i am sorry Sam for this. That's what i meant. They are alot of "BS" liers, who want steel money from you.
personally, i met one guy 2 years ago and this guy told me that he is oud maker. So i saw his ouds and turned on that they were made by "Faleh Mohmmad Fadel", i guess he grand-son of mohammad fadel. But the striker inside it said different thing, "BS" stuff " such as: made by Mohammad Hamza, 1954, iraq, Bahgdad ..........Crap :(
I have seen alot of liers in oud business and i just find 1 or 2, who i can really trust and deal with......
As samir said .... run away man and dont look behind
Thanks
arsalana
Oud Lover

Mood: Lost

[*] posted on 4-1-2006 at 09:46 PM

Hmm... is it just me, or is this so called Nahat look a lot like this other oud posted on this forum?

http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=883

Arsalan A.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top