Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Off track
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 09:07 PM
Off track

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the people of Egypt and the tourists regarding the recent three bombings at the Dahab resort, especially to the ones that lost loved ones or got injured. Of special concern and deeply upsetting is that the bombing took place at the end of the Coptic holiday (even though I am not Coptic.) I didn't hear anyone on these forums raise a stink or condemn such criminal and barbaric actions! Instead, some are complaining because some decided to take off a week to devote to something spiritual between them and the maker which harmed no one! Common folks put things in prospective here!

Peace, Freedom and all that good stuff
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:26 AM

Dear Elie,

Thanks for this note. That was an aweful tragedy. Not surprising, but nevertheless extremely upsetting. There was also an attack during Good Friday. I think maybe they decided to do this because the forums were closed for Holy Week...therefore there was no peace in the world. I'm sure there is a correlation now that it was pointed out to me. I feel horrible, and once again I will keep this in mind as I close the forums down for Holy Week next year. By the way, Holy Week lasts for 7 days, thus the name, Holy Week.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Your friend,
Mike

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
I didn't hear anyone on these forums raise a stink or condemn such criminal and barbaric actions!

Probably because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the oud.

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:42 AM

Don't you think you took that a little out of context David? I'm assuming you continued reading on, right?

Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 04:05 PM

Hi All,

I want to express my deepest most sincere sympathies to the victim's families, and to the people of Egypt as a whole. We all share their loss and grief...we are all one in pain and joy...that is how I feel at least. How I wish there was an actual way for me to ease their pain. Allah yerham faqdana we yehfad sha3bi masr.

I also want to say something on the topic of closing the forums. Mike deserves better from us. We first owe him respect for who he is: a real cool person. Then we owe him a great deal of gratitude for all the good he does for us. Anyone who disputes Mike's right to enjoy his holidays in peace, is an ungrateful, selfish individual to say the least.

Peace to all,

-SidiM
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:21 PM

Thank you Mike my friend.

Dave,
This was not the direction that I wanted to go...

In the short run it has little to do with the oud, in the long run many of these violent groups would ban the oud and other forms of expression and violently eliminate anyone who might disobey their imposed way of life and belief (Friday evening entertainment watching an oud player or a poet getting beheaded or stoned to death in a soccer field.)

Fortunately Mike and myself live in a free country where the majority believe that exercising ones rights to peaceful expressions of beliefs, belonging, art, music, politics etc... should least likely lead to ones violent termination not only that but is also protected by law.

As a peaceful form of freedom of expression, association, respect for others beliefs, and an acknowledgement of existence, I hope that Mike continues with the tradition of closing the forums down for the Christian Orthodox Holy week. Like I said no one is getting harmed and this forum is not federally funded. Good for you Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Parfitt
Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
I didn't hear anyone on these forums raise a stink or condemn such criminal and barbaric actions!

Probably because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the oud.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 05:54 PM

Call me crazy but i'm at a bit of a loss here. what do the bombings in Egypt have to do with shutting down the forums? If i'm correct in my interpertation, it seems as though a comparison is being made between those who perpetrated the acts and those who complained about the forums being shut down. Thats a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by revaldo29
Call me crazy but i'm at a bit of a loss here. what do the bombings in Egypt have to do with shutting down the forums? If i'm correct in my interpertation, it seems as though a comparison is being made between those who perpetrated the acts and those who complained about the forums being shut down. Thats a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Pardon me, but you are not correct in your interpertation. I do not see where you deduced the comparison. It is unfortunate that we have to go through this every year. No one complains when businesses, restaurants and stores get shut down for Muslim holidays not for a week but for weeks. Why do Christian children have to go and take exams in Christian schools in the Middle-East on Easter? Why aren't these schools allowed to shut down for one day in some of these Muslim countries? We do not complain we do it. Aren't the Christian Middle-Easterners natives to the Middle-East? This is what I meant by peacefull expression of existance and association. No comparisons to complainers and bombers here.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:55 PM

Ok my friend, obviously you feel very strongly about the issue so I won't take it any further. Let me just say, about 2 weeks ago, three muslim men dressed as women went into a mosque in Iraq with bombs strapped on their bodies and killed over 70 people. It is very unfrotunate the way christian minorities are treated in some reagions in the middle east but you know what, such oppression and injustice targets everyone. Whether you are a Palestinian muslim, Egyptian Christian or Israeli Jew. All i'm saying is that for a few complaints about the forums shutting down to gather such a response is somewhat silly.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 07:04 PM

Correction, there has only been ONE complaint made so far about shutting the forums down, not a few.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 07:21 PM

Common guys. shuting down the forrums and terrorism have nothing to do with eachother. Its not fair to put the 2 togheter. Do you think these bombings would have stoped if the forrums stayed open?
Obviously I feel deeply for all the victims of ideological violence. especialy the latest incidents in egypt. And the ones ongoing in Iraq.
What we must realize is that what is going on right now isnt the wish of the ordinary citizen and as long as the middle east is used as a chesboard to play wargames on by other Nations. I dont just mean the US but Arab nations too. Then we cant expect peace especialy if one is to get involved with a side.

The Forrums werent closed to start a feud (like the purpose a bombing would have). They were stoped according to Mike's personal wish and other reasons. This has to be respected wether you like it or not Because this is the Best online comunity hands down. And ultimatly no body is forcing me or anyone to be a member here. We do it because we chose to.
But the important thing to notice here is that we have thousands of members from all confesions and many of us would probably disagree on many political and religious ideas (we can notice it just by tempers flaring up) BUT!! we all agree and all accept to put away our diferences to play and listen oud togheter as brothers united by the instrument of we love.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 07:35 PM

I think mike was just being sarcastic and making a joke.
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 08:05 PM

Hey fellas,

I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread and the other one too. Adnan, you're right bro...I was being a little sarcastic. My bad...I shouldn't have done that. It would be kind of arrogant to think that the bombings happened because the forums were closed. Anyway, let's get back to talking oud again.

Have you guys seen the two new videos on Magdy el-Ashmawy's website. He recently put up the video for George Michel. Now he's got a great one for Saleh Abdel Hay and another short kanun taqsim. Go gett'em.

Take care,
Mike

Go To Top