Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anouar Brahem's oud
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-28-2003 at 04:08 PM
Anouar Brahem's oud

I have been trying to find out what kind of oud(s) Anouar Brahem plays. I love his sound. Does anyone know?
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 02:09 AM
Anouar brahem

I have seen Anouar using 3 ouds for recording and concerts.
His Abdo Dagher, and he used it for his early recordings.
His beautiful Abdo Nahat, lovely oud indeed , he used it in Thimar with Dave Holland and John surman.
His old Jamil Gergis (the father), for his latest recording and concerts.

Adel
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 12:15 AM

I've heard Gamil Guirguis (the father) ouds are beautiful in sound. If I'm not mistaken, Sunbati and el-Qasabji had Guirguis ouds. I wonder if anyone on the forums has one of these ouds?

TP21

P.S. In regards to Anouar Brahem... I definitely appreciate his playing. He's great and very talented.

Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 04:27 AM

We had many great oud makers in the Arab world which I do beleive that they are of the same quality as Nahat.
Jamil gergis, Kahlil Al Johary, farouk Shehata,Abd Al Aziz Al Leathy, all of these makers were in Egypt.
Badrosyan in Syria, Mohammed Ali Abu Misbah in Iraq (Usta Ali) he made Jamil Bashir, Salman Shukur and Sherif Mohi El Din Heider(Targan)ouds.
For us oud players these makers ouds are a must, most Arab oud players, they do have at leat one or 2 Nahat+ jamil Gergis.
The problem here, all of us wants these makers ouds, that is the reason why they are rare to find and very expensive if you do find them.
Adel
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

Mood: in LOVE

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 05:50 AM

nice descussion. while u r mentioning the famous oud makers in the arab world, there is one of the most famous oud maker in the arab world called Salmeen. this oud maker is from kwait, and i think they have a branch in UAE also. most of the oud players and singers in the gulf countries have their oud from Salmeen. the quality of these ouds are great (well, as any oud maker, the quality is vary), but in general those ouds are great.

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 06:10 AM

Adel,

You mention that most Arab oud players (profressional I'm assuming) will use a Nahat or Gergis. Since these great makers are no longer with us, who do you think will take their place in the future as the great oud makers of our time?

Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 06:23 AM

Dear jameel,
That is right, professional oud players do use the above names.
Never the less, I do beleive that their are new comers like Mourad Al Turky , Mourice shehata, Sayed fathi Amin in Egypt.
The only thing with all of these young makers you do have to watch what are they doing with the ouds.
Happy new year to all of you.
Adel
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 06:33 AM

Dear Jaber,
I am sorry, I do not know anything about salmeen ouds, I would love to see one of his ouds.
Salamat,
Adel
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 09:58 PM
new/old oud makers

I'm new to the oud, but have been playing jazz guitar for a long time. It used to be that there were a very small number of arch top jazz guitar builders and a very small number of companies making them, at least making really good ones. If I go back even about two and a half or three decads ago you could almost count them on one hand. Now there are dozens of great builders making wonderful modern jazz guitars. They are largely paying respect to the tradition, but have actually advanced the craft in terms of playability and sound. Having said that, there are certain qualities that a builder like James D'quisto had which are unique even today. My guitar, made by Linda Manzer, definately has something of her spirit in it that is unique. All this has come about because of a fairly open exchange of information, and of course a demand for this type of instruments. My point is that it would be a great thing if a similar movement happened with oud building, and perhaps these names which are less familiar are the beginning.
Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:24 PM
Gamil Georges

I have a Gamil Georges that I bought in Claremont, CA. It's being worked on by Viken Najarian.

Quote:
Originally posted by TruePharaoh21
I've heard Gamil Guirguis (the father) ouds are beautiful in sound. If I'm not mistaken, Sunbati and el-Qasabji had Guirguis ouds. I wonder if anyone on the forums has one of these ouds?

TP21

P.S. In regards to Anouar Brahem... I definitely appreciate his playing. He's great and very talented.
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 08:02 AM

Hi Meursault,
are you talking about George the son or jamil Georgy the father?
Any oud made after the late 1950's it's more likely to be the son.
Salamat,
Adel
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 12:33 PM
hi guys

hi
i feel very upset from these oud makers in the arab countries, they are very commerial and there ouds are very expensive, and it is very diffcult to get any information about "oud making" from them. and you have to pay alot of money for them to get an average oud. for all these resons, i am planning to build my own oud and i started already collecting some information about oud making and some books of oud making. i hope i become a good oud maker in the future and i would like for every oud player have a good oud... !. I hope guys you support me!
By the way, there is oud workshop in bahrain and all the people who are working in that workshop are bahraini and they make a very good ouds, i tried some them... and price is suitable for every body ....:)
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adel
Dear Jaber,
I am sorry, I do not know anything about salmeen ouds, I would love to see one of his ouds.
Salamat,
Adel

Salmeen

Best wishes

Ronny
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 02:40 AM

Thank you Ronny
Salamat,
Adel
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 07:57 AM

My pleasure Adel. The workshops scenes made me somewhat skeptical to their quality because I know that an orbital sander is not an appropriate tool for the bowls. I have also a strong belief that a maker who works alone and earns his living from his work, make better ouds.

Best wishes

Ronny
ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 07:12 PM
salmeen ouds

hi adel
let me tell you about salmeen ouds,salmeen is a kuwaiti guy,he is the owner,he has a shop in kuwait and one in sharja /uae...
and this is how he works:he gets the bowls from cairo ,made by ???the bowls are too long and not practical ,also the nicks he get from there..the soundboard he gets from turkia (they use a 2 piece soundboard) ,and the maker or the one who gathers these parts is turkish,
anyway,at the end you get to find a piece out 50 ,that has a real value ,i was in u a e two years ago and they were planing to close down the uae store ...???

there is another salmeen in bahrain,but has nothin to do with this ????????????

ghassan bashir:buttrock:
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 12:25 AM

I was in Salmeen's shop in Kuwait last year, and I can't say that I was terribly impressed. The selection was quite limited and the majority of ouds they had were quite ropey looking things. The people working there were all Indians (nothing wrong with that, obviously), but they didn't seem to know much about their ouds apart from the prices. All in all, I didn't get a very positive impression.

Go To Top