Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egypt Today article on Simon Shaheen
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 09:10 AM
Egypt Today article on Simon Shaheen

Not sure if anyone had already posted this, it's good. Much more interesting than most of the other articles.

Egypt Today

Also, incase anyone's thinking of going to the Arabic Music Retreat in August, here's an article about it:

Saudi Aramco World
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for these Brian. The one paragraph that caught my attention mentioned him doing lots of recording. He mentioned to me (in 2003) the same thing. This article is a year old already, lets hope these recordings are closer to being released. It's been like a decade since he released something traditional. I can't wait.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 01:13 PM

I talked to him fairly recently about recording, and these are his plans:

a new taqasim record, solo oud (soon . . . )
a new Qantara record

remixing/remastering Turath and the Abdel Wahab record.

He's ironing out details with record companies in order to make the new albums happen.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 01:15 PM

Yes Jameel, if this is already published.....what are we waiting for??
A must to listen at for every living oudist in this world....

"Shaheen is currently planning recordings that consist solely of oud improvisations that express his love for this pivotal instrument in the context of Arabic music an instrument with potential that is yet to be unleashed, he says. “The oud is sometimes abused by being taken in the wrong direction, like playing the oud as an imitation of the guitar, or making the oud mimic other string instruments like the sitar or sarod. Technically, the oud has such great potential,” he adds. “I am going to do a great deal of recordings to illustrate this point. I am recording a lot of Arabic taqasim, and oud compositions as a solo instrument to show its many different facets and multi-dimensions.”
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 01:21 PM

If any lucky guy keeps a recording of this broadcast treasure and do not mind to share....there are people here dying to enjoy it as well..

"...Following that fateful day,(11th septembre) Shaheen, together with Qantara, were among the first groups in the United States to both perform and travel, while other artists, paralyzed by fear, entered into a state of self-imposed hibernation. That next Saturday, Shaheen performed at a memorial located at Riverside Church by New York’s Columbia University.

Silence filled the hall as he picked up his Nahat oud, a Stradivarius-quality oud crafted in 1920 by a Syrian family that descended from a fine heritage of oud craftsmanship, and with passionate bravura began to perform. The instrument’s soothing rhythms reverberated through the halls of the church and across the airwaves the memorial was repeatedly broadcast a dozen times on television during that week. “By performing there with dignity, I reaffirmed the credential of our music, our art and of us, as people.”
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 03:58 PM

Thanks for posting the url to the egypt article, Brian. Very nice.
I know that Simon is sincere in all that he says here. Few people posses such dedication to art. I am glad to hear about his remastering of Taqsim. For one thing it means it will be re-issued. It can be found already in many university music libraries as an exemplary instance of Arabic music.
Simon deserves all of the support we can give him.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 04:17 PM
Thanks for sharing Brian

It is said "His father Hikmat Shaheen, a professor of music and an established master of the oud"

Has anyone ever heard Master Hikmat Shaheen? Is there any recording for him?

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 04:34 PM

I heard a recording of Hikmat Shaheen, it was from a concert. Simon was six years old and played a taqsim and a piece with the group. He sounded very mature and musical even at such a young age. His improvisation was excellent, great intonation and modulations, perfect logic to his phrases.
I don't remember much about his father's playing, but it was certainly good. I don't have the recording, so don't even ask! ;)

By the way, I talked to Najib today, and the recording is almost finished, he just has to get it done and to the label.
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2006 at 04:55 PM
What a shame

His Father's records would be a great value. I am surprised Simon Shaheen did not think of reproducing them. Unless they were distroyed or got lost. This worked very well for Ahmed El Sonbati. Ryad's son. He reproduced all his father's work and made alive again. Something we all enjoy today.

Thanks again Brain.
I was not going to ask you to share them, I knew you would without asking. You are known to be kind. ;)

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Tablah23
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 10:22 PM

i have video from around 1995 with simone playing traditional tarab mawams, such as rast, biat, siga, siga baladi, biat shuri. its on vhs.what do u think mike? how can we do this?-Romeo
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
Not sure if anyone had already posted this, it's good. Much more interesting than most of the other articles.

Egypt Today

Also, incase anyone's thinking of going to the Arabic Music Retreat in August, here's an article about it:

Saudi Aramco World

Interesting reading about the virtuoso. His dedication to his art is total. I have often wondered though why he has as yet not paid tribute to the composer I regard as the greatest and most original in Arabic music, in fact, an immortal and legend: Riyadh Sumbati (except for the Longa Farahfaza in Shaheen's album Turath). Do any of you who personally know Mr. Shaheen know the answer? If not do me a favor and convey this to him. If I had that kind of money, I would certainly tempt him with such a project. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 03:24 PM

Hmm, he did an Abdel Wahab/Oum Kulthoum tribute, and a Farid/Asmahan tribute. Maybe the Sounbati tribute will be next? I'll ask him next time I see him.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 03:46 PM

Weren't some of the songs for the Kulthoum concert composed by Sunbati? I think I remember a couple/three, not including the Longa.

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 04:31 PM

Master Ryad El Sonbati wrote about 80% if not more of Oum Kolthom's songs.

Lots of comercial record companies have produced tapes of Oum Kolthom music on the oud - like the one uploaded in that other section. Maybe Simon Shaheen is working on something better !

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Weren't some of the songs for the Kulthoum concert composed by Sunbati? I think I remember a couple/three, not including the Longa.

Where is the concert available? I simply cannot afford to miss out on Shaheen's playing (if I can help it). Thanks.

Go To Top