Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mesut Cemil Semai played by Jamil Bashir
oistrach13
Oud Addict

Mood: es geht

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 02:44 AM
Mesut Cemil Semai played by Jamil Bashir

this is a file I got from the Zeryab forum, and I just thought I'd post it here (considering this is after all an oud forum), and see what everybody here thinks of this playing.

This is Jamil Bashir, one of the greatest iraqi musical personalities in the recent history of the country (and some say the greatest of all Serif Targan's students), considering this is a turkish piece, and a player is a student of a turkish musician, I wonder what the turkish oud lovers here think of this playing.
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 02:48 AM
Preceding Taksim

here's the preceding Taksim (didn't fit in the original file, and I wasn't going to butcher the bitrate, was I?)
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 02:52 AM

man it sounds fantastic! weird, somehow the way the oud was recorded it almost sounds like a tanbur at times, and his phrasing and ornamentation is almost tanbur like. really cool! thanks for sharing that with us.

what playing situation was this from? studio?

adam
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 03:13 AM

thanks for the reply, and for pointing out the "tanburish" element in the playing, I hadn't noticed that.

as for the recording situation, I have no idea, but I'll ask around.

the lack of any audiance sounds does suggest a studio recording, but the recording quality is rather suggestive of a normal tape recorder, any thought anyone?
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 12:01 PM

Great recording! Thank you very much!

TP21

oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 06:04 AM

you're welcome,

but I'm still waiting for some technical commentary from someone who knows more about this stuff than I can hope to. :shrug:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-25-2006 at 12:20 PM

oistrach,

Does the recording come cut off at the end like that, where it fades out, or did you truncate it to allow it to fit? If so, could you please provide the link for the zeryab topic. The khana he starts around where the recording stops is awesome, and I really wanted to hear him play the rest of it.

Thanks in advance,

TP21

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-25-2006 at 01:23 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much for sharing these recordings, they really are great.

I think Jamil Bashir definitely incorporated some nice elements of both Turkish and Arabic styles in his rendition, but mostly his own personal expression shines through in this recording.

It's great to hear his freedom with the rhythm and melody. He doesn't stray far from the original arrangement, but still his own style and imagination are definitely coming through in these recordings. His great technique is also very apparent here.

I also agree that his playing style combined with the recording quality (and his oud) do make it sound tanbur-like sometimes. But it is definitely his Iraqi oud we are hearing, and his unique way of expression coming through it.

:)

Thanks again!

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 06:59 AM

everybody is welcome, and it's my turn to thank you for the kind replies.

unfortunately, the recording came like this, all I did was seperate the taksim from the semai, and changing it into 48 kbps from 56.

I completely agree about this guys imagination, although I am not a fan of some western based compositions of his, he does have an amazing insight into traditional iraqi music, (the list of iraqi maqam singer he accompanied is pretty much a who's who of iraqi music), as well as his insight into turkish music, afforded by the interesting circumstances of his education.

by the way, name's Amr, and (to TP21), I just posted a long rant today in your request thread over at zamanalwasl.

oh and (to MK), I used to be a member over at the oudcafe, (with the idea of the semai and peshrev subforum if you recall). I kind of miss it back there. Any plans for the site?

Go To Top