Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: French Polish maintenance from playing etc.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 02:02 PM
French Polish maintenance from playing etc.

Hello everyone, I was looking for some advice about how to maintain french polish on ouds in specifically the neck where your thumb rests or slides when playing and where the oud bowl sits on your lap when playing. I have a new oud and the polish/shine has reduced quite a bit already in those areas. I always wash my hands before playing and wipe down the oud thoroughly before putting back in the case. I would like to maintain my oud as well as possible. Any advice is well appreciated. Thank you.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 05:30 AM

anyone with advice please?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercm525i
anyone with advice please?

You can clean the surface after you play with lemon or any vegetable oil - just a drop on a clean cloth. Otherwise, French Polish (shellac) is not a durable finish and it will not take much time to wear off under your fingers. You can drape a cloth or wear a long sleeve to protect the body where your arm is, but the neck cannot be protected. I would suggest applying some Tru-oil varnish over the shellac after cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. You can get Tru-oil at any gun store, it's used to finish gun stocks and used by many guitar and oud makers. (myself, Jameel,others). Search for Tru-oil in the forum for more info.

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-24-2006 at 09:26 AM

Thank you Dr. Oud. I will try this.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2006 at 08:53 PM

Can I put Tru-Oil over the french polish?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:31 AM

Yes

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 07:17 AM

Thank you Jameel.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 07:16 AM
Building coats

I know many in this forum have done much more work than this but I'm learning some things very slowly. After I applied the first coat of tru-oil I wiped it like it says at http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm , when I put the next couple of coats on, do I still wipe it or just apply with fingers/cloth leaving a thicker coat and let it dry. Also, how long do I have to let it dry for?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercm525i
I know many in this forum have done much more work than this but I'm learning some things very slowly. After I applied the first coat of tru-oil I wiped it like it says at http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm , when I put the next couple of coats on, do I still wipe it or just apply with fingers/cloth leaving a thicker coat and let it dry. Also, how long do I have to let it dry for?

Still wipe it on with a cloth in thin coats (not thick enough to drip or run, just enough of a layer to build a new layer of gloss--thin layers are better). With thin coats you can put 2 or three per day. If you are planning on rubbing out at the end, you may want to apply the last coat a tad heavier, to reduce the chance of rubbing through and getting witness lines.

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 10:47 AM
dry time

I plan on just putting 3 small coats and thats it, just to touch up some dullness on the french polish, then some lemon oil. Do I really need to wait a week or two for it to dry, it seems that it dries in a few hours. When could I play it again?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 11:26 AM

Letting the finish cure for a week or more will give better results if you are rubbing out. If you don't care about this, use your own judgement. I wouldn't handle the instrument for at least a day or so minumum. The finish may feel dry, but with friction and the oils from your hands you will loose any sheen quite rapidly from this uncured finish. If you want a decent finish, put enough tru-oil coats for a good build, cure 1 week, rub out lightly to your choice of sheen, apply lemon oil sparingly.

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 11:31 AM

Thank you Jameel. Any recommendations for how or what to use to rub-out, I'm a little confused on what rubbing out is. Is that using an abrasive to create the luster I want. I have car rubbing compound, 3 step car wax (1:cleaner,2:polish,3:wax). What do you recommend. I'm looking for a decent shine, something that will resemble french polish, because I don't want it to look like it was touched up. Also, why do you say apply lemon oil sparingly, does it harm the wood, how often should one use lemon oil to clean the oud?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 04:29 PM

Yes, rubbing out is exactly that. The finer abrasive, the smaller the scratches, the more reflection, hence, gloss. Rubbing out can be done with liquid compounds (not the greatest for open-pored wood since the compound could remain in the pores), fine sandpapers, steel wool, pumice, rottenstone, micromesh, etc. If you want something that looks like French Polish, you'll have to rub out to gloss. If your last coat is smooth enough and even in sheen enough for your tastes, you don't have to rub it at all. Just leave it. This is really a broad subject that you could find more comprehensive info about in your local Library. Also try the MIMF Forum Library. Tons of info there about tru oil and rubbing out. Lemon oil won't harm the wood, but no reason to slather it on. You just want a few drops on a clean cloth rubbed over the back. You don't even have to use it. It just helps prevent fingerprinting.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 06:03 PM

Can Tru Oil be removed?
Don't get me wrong--I love the stuff. But, I have an older oud I am contemplating putting it on. I am sure that at one point, the oud had shellac on it, but that is long gone. Now there are just a couple of coats of paste wax on there which I applied, which I guess I could remove.
But, if I put the Tru Oil on, and don't like it, can it be stripped off, or does it soak right through the wood.
Forgive the basic basic question--the answer is probably obvious.
Finally, do you guys have any thoughts on the Tru Oil Sealer? lmii says that the Tru Oil finish is not a sealer, and suggest getting the TruOil Sealer and putting that on first. I wonder if a sealer could have been put over the French polish.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 06:36 PM

Jonathan, get yourself a good book on wood finishing. Here is a great one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561585920/sr=8-1/qid=1149388076/r...

Not sure why you would want to remove the oil. You can shellac over it if that's why you are asking. Never used the sealer. What's it like? Can you tell me where lmi says to use the sealer? I must have missed that part.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 10:25 AM

Can't find it now, Jameel.
But,
on my bottle of the Gun Stock Sealer and Filler, it does say to apply the sealer, repeat if the grain is not completely filled, and then "use TruOil Gun Stock Finish to finish your stock".
So, I think it might be of benefit to put the sealer on.
On the other hand, the packaging for the Tru Oil Gun Stock Finish suggests that the finish itself is a sealer: "Excellent as a sealer for under buttt plates, recoil pads, and in inletted actions to prevent moisture damage."
Which leads me to two questions:
First (and most importantly), just what is a butt plate? Actually, I don't want to know.
Second, is the Finish itself a sealer and, if it is, why do I need the"Gun Stock Sealer and Filler".
I like lmii a lot, but they haven't been that helpful on this one.
Might just be a way to sell more product, sort of like "lather, rinse, repeat."

As far as my questions, I guess my concern is just that, if I am not happy with the results, can I remove the oil? Again, that "oil" term throws me off. It is not like it soaks into the wood (does it?). Like shellac, it stays on top of the surface, right?

mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:07 PM

Thank you guys for your help

Go To Top