Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: expensive a oud, is it always the best?
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-28-2006 at 03:36 AM
expensive a oud, is it always the best?

I want that one shares the opinions around the following question:
expensive a oud, is it always the best?
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 5-28-2006 at 03:27 PM
Not always ...

It depends on why the oud is expensive !

It can be because ...

- the craftsman ship or a well known name of the maker.

- the value of the wood used to make it.

- the age of the oud

- sound quality/design/features of the oud.

It also can be expensive because ...

- seller is greedy or has lots of people who are in favor with him allowing him to get away with marketing rubbish ouds.

- seller is taking advantage of the buyer or if there is a middle man.

- differance in currancy exchange.

I personally bought an oud for AU$50 and it sounds so great. This oud was bough from Egypt for around seventy five Egyptian pounds = of US$20

Not all expensive ouds are good - this is my opinion

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 09:50 AM

hello
I have two oud:
- yarub mohammed fadhel (2000) thant I paid 1500$, and the second from a Moroccan maker ''Abdallah Murid'' (2006)that I paid 700$.
frankly I find that the second is much better (I touch more with the yarub oud..)
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 11:49 AM

Hi,
I totally agree with sydney
personally, after long experience, i found "maker names" is the biggest lie in oud business. All my ouds are expensive and accurately made and from very good woods (Rose, Ebony and Walnut) but the makers are not very well-known.
I judge the maker work, i never judge maker name.
I have seen alot of Mohammad Fadel Ouds, they LOOK really great and nice but the sound quality is terrible. and that because he didnt made these ouds by himself. Actually his sons and grade sons made them. So the quality is really different and down-graded.

Thanks
;)
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 01:22 AM

Hello guys,

I do not think it is a good idea to mention makers names in this thread spcially if this will defame any of them.

I have learnt that if you had a bad experience with an oud maker that does not mean that everybody will have that same experience too.

Anyways, It is true some makers do not touch the oud yet they put their name on it. This is to make it dear.

If you have to touch more on the strings, this can be due to either the nut is setting too high or the strings action is higher than it should be. Please post a photo with the right view and I am sure all the oud experts will help you here.

Any more thoughts on the matter?
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 01:38 AM

dear sydney

if it is said that a oud is better than another, that does not want to say that we attacks the maker..
it is as it is said that one loves a musician and not another, or an album of a musician and not another
it how the makers accepts our criticisms because we like them and with our critic it improves.. it's them which manufactures our splendid ouds!
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 01:54 AM
Fair enough

Here is another way to look at it...

Even though oud makers may not get offended by an opinion or a remark, makers fans and admirers can get annoyed.

My dear,

Just to avoid fights ... It is better to select our words and to look after other member's feelings too.

That was my point I am afraid.

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 02:08 AM

this forum is to make friendships not conflicts..that I respect it ..
but one can share our experiments for the good of everyone!
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by riadh.3oud
this forum is to make friendships not conflicts..that I respect it ..
but one can share our experiments for the good of everyone!

You are not wrong there my friend.

Some people do not like to hear you say " What a nice dog you have" but "what a nice companion you have" sounds better to them. Even thought it is a DOG. Bottom line is .. say what you want to say but you do not have to sound like a brick. I have sounded like a brick once and lost a good man over it. Even though I did not mean to upset him.

Cheers

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 08:23 AM

Well all lets get back to the topic .... I have 2 ouds myself by non famous luthiers. I did mention the name here before but it seems that nobody took notice of it.

1) Hasan Celebi - turkish oud from Izmir made in 1996
2) Al Birinci - Syrian Oud from Damascus made in 1998

Though i did not spend a fortune on them, I think it is really a fortune to have them.I bought the Syrian oud and change it with Aquilla Strings. Really happy and satisfied! It is not the price but the sound that matters.
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 08:39 AM

I think that the problem which we know only the oud makers who have Web sites!!
it is that the criterion to be famous!
there are many makers interessants who made splendid oud's, which uses usually.. telephone!!
but theirs prices are correct.
Belhaiba (maroc) -Said chraibi-
Abdallah Murid (Maroc)
Thabet al Basri (koweit)
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 02:53 PM

Hi guys,
i am really sorry if i said something wrong. i didnt mean not respect "Oud Makers" but what was trying to say is that ones you found the right oud with quality and resonible price, that's it.

personally, i found oud in one of the music shop and this oud is really worth 2000 $ but no body knows who mad this oud. It is made from Old-walnut wood and sound is very clear and loud. but the problem the owner doesn't want to sell it.

Again it is the quality determine the value.
Thanks
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 02:59 PM

I know a guy who paid a hundred bucks for an incredible oud. He purchased it from an old man in Egypt in his home. The point I'm making is if we can get to Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Greece, etc. and we know where to go, there are great instruments and amazing deals to be found. Ideally, it would be best to play any instrument before purchasing it, but that is not always possible nor cost efficient, particularly with regards to ouds. Unfortunately, an airplane ticket to the Middle East and/or Europe is not cheap. In a way I guess it's a blessing for me as I am inflicted with the oud virus, and if I was able to buy great ouds for 20 bucks, I probably wouldn't be able to walk around in my house. This is a nice thread and lots of good points have been made. By the way, riadh.3oud...I think Thabet el Basri has a website, or at least a forum at http://www.thabetalbasry.net. Also, you are right, there are numerous makers without websites who make beautiful ouds. Fathi Amin, a true master, immediately comes to mind, among many others I am sure.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 03:13 PM

Dubai244, I believe you are right on when you said it is the quality that determines the value. But I tell you what, an oudmaker's name and reputation also determines value as well whether we like it or not. Why is everybody looking for a Manol or Nahat oud? I heard nothing about Mohamad el-Hifnawi before I purchased mine. I actually knew of this oud while in Egypt, and was lucky enough to get a chance to play it and examine it. I returned to the States and researched the maker with a good friend who knows about old ouds. When he told me he knew of this maker and told me he was well known as a reputable oudmaker in that era, I decided to buy the oud. If my uncle in Egypt knew what I paid for that oud in Egypt he probably would have fallen over and died of a heart attack. In all reality though it is probably worth triple what I paid for it. Actually, if I would have purchased this oud from an oud dealer say in Europe or America, I probably would have had to pay triple the price. Everything is relative. It was a great find, but I had to be in Egypt to make it happen.

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Dubai244, I believe you are right on when you said it is the quality that determines the value. But I tell you what, an oudmaker's name and reputation also determines value as well whether we like it or not. .

Hello Mike,

I do not disagree with you on this point but I'd like to add ... There are lots of other ouds in the market for sale with famous oud makers names on them but they are at no quality or value because they were mistreated over the years - Some people try to sell such ouds for a huge amount of money because some people go by the name. Also some others try to make a huge propaganda over it too.

I am like you in this Mike, If I can be in Cairo every week end, I won't have enough space left in my house.

Cheers,

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 11:24 PM

Dear friends

the friend riadh.3oud has mentioned the luthier Mr. Thabet Al Basreey, and I want to do a little biography of this big Luthier.
Thabet always started constructing Ouds 40 years ago, in Basra-Iraq, it has had a big teacher and master of Oud Luis Tomas who helped him to construct a type of very scientific oud, has had a big reputation rapidly, and after years it moved to Kuwait where I work during next to 20 years redeeming several important charges, he has constructed ouds to great artists, emirs, kings. ETC
it is the only one luthier of Iraq that there has had his oud exhibited in the national museum of Baghdad up to the Anglo-American invasion.
He has invented many improvements in the construction of the oud. his oud they ONLY do for order.
At present it keeps on living in Basra-Iraq and we are cheering him up to keep on creating his new ouds with the incredible innovations.
his web is http://www.thabetalbasry.net/
enjoy :applause:

Oud Player
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 11:50 PM
WOW

What a lovely looking ouds - lots of holes and cut out all over the place.

Vantastik
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 02:17 AM

Hi Faladel and all,

Mike using master Thabets web address you posted, I was browsing his pages for hours that was awesome man great ouds and information about their specs in details and beautifull pictures as well, what struck me as well as his craftmanship he is also knowledgeable and an exeptional oud player..

Also one of his ouds as he explained made with skin ( jild) inlays, I will try and post the pictures and sound files..

Sorry mates, how do I paste files onto the posting?
I'm trying to attach pictures and sound
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 03:27 AM

(Also one of his ouds as he explained made with skin ( jild) inlays)

this is one of his (Skin oud)
Enjoy
:bounce:

Oud Player

Go To Top