Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to glue an oud bridge?
pafrodites
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 07:02 AM
How to glue an oud bridge?

Hello, a friend asked me to repair his oud. The bridge has pulled off the face of the soundboard. I can tell it was glued in place. My question is, what do I need to know to re-attach it? What type of glue do you recommend? Is there a clever way to clamp it in place while the glue dries? Thanks for any advice you can offer. I am a craftsman but not a luthier. Thanks.
Barry
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 07:39 AM

There are 2 causes for the bridge coming off
1. poor fit
2. poor quality glue.
-First clean off all the old glue from the face and bridge by softening it with warm water, (applied sparingly with a damp cloth), then scraped carefully with a clean putty knife, single edge razor blade or utility knife blade - use the square side edge, not the sharp edge. Do not soak the face.
-Fit the bridge by lap sanding it on the face: hold a piece of 80-100 grit garnet sandpaper on the face with the cutting side up. Rub the bridge back and forth keeping the bridge flat until the bridge bottom fits the face exactly.
-Reglue the bridge with hide glue, aliphatic resin (yellow carpenter's glue) or epoxy. Don't clamp it or you could damage the bracing structure. You will have to hold the bridge in place with just enough pressure to force the excess glue out until the glue sets. (~5 minutes for hide and quick set epoxy, 10 minutes for yellow glue). Let the glue cure for 48 hours (2 days) before stringing it up.

Go To Top