Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cracked Peg Box
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 01:26 AM
Cracked Peg Box

Greetings All

I have a 1988 Syrian Oud which has a cracked Peg Box near the joint to the neck. I love this Oud dearly and would like to make some repairs. judging from reading around here I think I should change the Peg box as a whole.

Can somebody help me where can i get a peg box and glue for the peg box. If somebody can help me with a peg box, that would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 12:34 PM

i think you'll need to talk to someone who professes to know more about ouds than most of us. a professor, perhaps - it's a shame you want to kill them all ...

you could buy dr. oud's book - but he's a professor of sorts as well ... in fact, every where you turn there are people who profess to know more than you ...

i'd say you pretty much pissed in the well, regarding professional advice ...
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 12:46 PM

hi Bill! Thanks for your advise, I am an engineering student in germany who has been repeatedly been oppressed because of my belief hence the need to kill those profs who have a very narrow mentality. Never was that in any way directed to profs in general and definately not to any aorund here. I propagate peace but does not ignore and be oblivious towards oppression.

Nonetheless thanks for the tip of Dr Oud's book. I will try to upload some pictures of the crack and maybe somebody can give some tips.

Cheers
jwold
Oud Admirer

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 09:13 AM

Hello Hakeem,

I would suggest you find a luthier or violin shop near you as the pegbox on both ouds and violins are pretty similar.
If you really want to DIY, get some dry hide glue crystals from a luthier supply shop like "international violin supply." Hide glue is strong and if you screw it up, you can undo the glue all of the other stuff out there in the market and start over. Here's a great tutorial:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Glue/UseHideGlue/...

Dry crystal hide glue is not the same as the "hide glue" you find on the hardware store shelf in the bottle. Downside is if you buy it in the dry form, you have lots of glue left over so if you don't do this often, it's kind of a waste.
If it's just a small crack, you could go to the grocery store and buy some knox unflavored gelatine and mix it up...here's another tip from the same source as the previous one...tons of stuff on his website:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/TipsTricks/KitchenGlue/kitc...
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 09:43 AM

This repair needs some more detail before suggesting a fix. In nearly every case a new pegbox is not necessary and since each oud is built differently, getting one to fit would be very remote, and the installation is not so simple. Exactly what is cracked? -the wall of the pegbox where the pegs go through? -or the mating joint where the pegbox joins the neck? -or what exactly? If you can post some clear close-up pictures I could advise you better. The glue used really depends on the type of repair being done, so let's see what you got first.

hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 10:31 AM

Greetings Dr Oud!

Many thanks for your thoughts! I was quite close to dismantle the strings and go get the glue. Well I attach here the pics of my cracked peg box for your professional eye.

Once again thanks for your help!
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 10:34 AM

here is another view
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 12:01 PM

ok then. The oud appears to be rather crudely made and may not be worth the expense of a new peg box. I would repair the break as follows.
1. Remove the all the pegs to clear the broken area and reduce the weight of the peg box.
2. Cut a patch of heavy linen to fit inside the peg box and overlap the crack for reinforcement- do not block the peg hole.
3. Using high strength epoxy, (not 2 minute epoxy), mix well and saturate the linen patch, then apply it over the crack on the inside.
4. Push epoxy into the crack everywhere you can, including the crack along the fingerboard.
4. Push the peg box parts together , scrape off any excess epoxy and place the oud down on the fingerboard where it can be left undisturbed for 48 hours, (2 days)
5. Check that the peg box parts remain tightly together and there is no epoxy in the peg hole.
6. String it up and try it out.
7. If this doesn't work, consider a new oud, because a new pegbox fitted with good pegs will cost about $300. Then there's fitting it to your neck, requiring some luthier skills.
8. If it does work, keep the oud is a safer place so it doesn't fall and break the pegbox again.

hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 02:41 PM

Dr Oud!

Thanks for your tips ... I really would love to keep this oud coz though it looks crude, I love the sound of it. I changed it to aquill astrings already and i am having so much fun with it. Maybe I will try to record something on it and maybe you can hear it. but before i can do that I guess i need to brush up my skills first! ;)

Once again thanks a lot!!

Go To Top