Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Abdo Nahat Project
Hosam
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 09:19 PM
The Abdo Nahat Project

Inspired by Jameel’s fine work, encouraged by Jonathan, Carpenter and the other projects made by the members of this forum, I decided to start my first oud project. This project will be based on the1930 Abdo Nahat oud. I will be using Dr. Oud book as my primary source, but it will not be my only source as I have deviated from the measurement used in the book.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 09:29 PM

After six month of preparation, the time has come to generate some saw dust. I would like to thank Jameel for his help answering my questions during my planning for this project. Thank you Jonathan for very informative thread, Dincer, Dr. Oud, Haluk and the rest of the fine oud makers here for teaching the rest of us a lot about the instrument that we all came to love.

More information about this remarkable instrument is found here in this thread http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1092#pid716...

If anyone has more detailed photos for this oud or measurements for any of the Abdo Nahat ouds made around the same time period, please post it here or email me at hosam.alsaadi (at) gmail (dot) com.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 09:49 PM

The Scale length for this oud will be 620 mm. Body length 520 mm, neck 206 mm and widest part of the face will be 370 mm. I started by drawing the oud plan and marked the braces, shams and the bridge locations.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 10:05 PM

This is the material I used to build the oud bending machine. I used ¾ inch thick plywood and a silicone rubber heater with a thermostat. The silicone rubber heater measures 6 inches X 30 inches and will get to 400 F in less than two minutes.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 10:26 PM

I got the silicone rubber heater from http://www.hiheat.com/ . I made a box from the plywood and routed the profile of the oud to the two inner sides of the bending machine. The depth of the groove is a little over 1/3 inch and the width is 1/8 inch. I cut a thin sheet of metal and slide it into the groove. Placed the heater over the metal sheet and covered it with another metal sheet.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 10:30 PM

The back.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 10:32 PM

Here is the completed oud bending machine.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 11:02 PM

I am not sure if this will work. This oud will have 15 ribs or actually 5 super ribs. Each super rib will have 3 regular ribs that will be attached in a very small area (4 to 6 mm) at the maximum depth of the oud bowl. I will have to bend only five large ribs. The 6 inch width of the bending machine will allow me to do that. I am planning to route the top of each rib from one side and the bottom of the other side for about 1.2 mm depth and 10 mm width. This will all allow the ribs to overlap and increase the gluing area about 4 times and hopefully will make the back stronger. The central rib will be routed from the top in both sides to distribute the stress to the two side of the oud through the neighboring ribs.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 11:38 PM

I am hoping that this method will also increase the coupling between the ribs making the back resonate more. It will also be more forgiving if the ribs sides does not perfectly match and pass the light test. The drawback of this method is that I have to be really careful when bending the large ribs. Breaking a large rib will be equivalent to breaking three ribs at once, very high waste of wood.
Here is a set of walnut guitar back and sides that I will be using.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 12:00 AM

The bending of my first large rib went smooth. I bend it dry. It took less than 15 minutes to bend the rib. The second rib I used steam to warm up the wood and make it little damp. The result was better.

When I tried to cut the large rib into 3 ribs the wood split and separated completely. The second large rib did the same. This wood is perfectly quartered so no damage was really done. I will have to glue this small part the normal way. I will try to increase the attached area from 6 mm to 20 mm area in my next large rib. I will also cut the wood and try to route it before bending it.

Here are the ribs after bending.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 03:19 AM

Hi Hosam,

looking good so far, and I'm sure from what I can see now you will make an awesom oud based on the example you picked ( Insha Allah ), I wish you all the best and you're lucky having all of this geniuses at hand and I'm sure they will be there to guide you all the way.

Good luck

best regards to all

Awad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 05:18 AM

Great start to what is perhaps the "ulitimate" oud project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and of course the outcome. There are some mind-boggling aspects to this oud, and it's difficult enough thinking about how they were made, let alone making them. Your lap-joint rib edges seem intriguing, looking forward to that too. Good luck, Hosam. :wavey:

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 03:39 PM

I can't wait to follow your project, Hosam. That bender is a great idea, and the wood looks superb.
Do you know how high you are getting the temperature of the wood for the bend?

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 03:54 PM

Hosam,

How much springback are you getting? Did you compensate for this by making your bender more extreme at the upper and lower bouts?

Elaborate on your lap joint idea, would you? Do you plan to fit the ribs to previous rib, then rout the rabbet? How will you do this?

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 05:53 PM

Thank you all for your kind encouragement!

Jonathan: I do not have a surface thermometer but the heater gets to 480 F. With the shut off thermostat and the sheet metal I think the temperature will be between 400 F and 450 F. The silicone heaters have different wattage per square inch. The one I got is 5 watts /sq. in.

Jameel: Very few people are capable of making the “ultimate” oud project. I am not one of them. Luckily most of them are members of this forum. I really wished if this was your project.

I did not compensate for the springback, the shape of the bender is exactly the same as the oud profile. For my first rib I had about ½ inch spingback on the lower bouts. I did the rib again. For my second rib I left the rib on the bending form for few hours, I had none.

I am planning to cut the ribs and rout the rabbit on the flat rectangular wood sheet before bending it. After bending I will collapse the ribs together and fit each rib to the next one.
I will take photos and post them here.
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 07:17 AM

Hello HOSAM
you will be oud maker!
it's very interessent..
good luck Akhi, i wait to hear you oud..
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 10:50 AM

This is a neat invention. It takes out the guess work from free hand bending for beginners like me.
Good luck.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 07:12 PM

I made a similar wood bender (actually, a bit simpler), and the thing is remarkably easy to use. And, each rib comes out to the exact shape that you want it to come out to. I should have thought of it sooner so I could have used it with my first oud.

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 09:19 PM

I managed to do some work in between the world soccer games :D

I planned the rest of the ribs and sanded it down to 2.4 mm (100 then 220 grit). I cut the ribs and I rough routed the channels before bending.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 09:27 PM

Here is my dial thickness caliper. I used a scrap of canary wood; the throat is a little less than 9’’. I have also made the neck and tail blocks. I used Spanish cedar.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 09:36 PM

This is what I use to steam the wood during the bending.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:03 PM

I have not finished working on this yet. This is going to be my hybrid mould/spreader. The bulkheads will be adjustable and will hopefully can be reused for my next oud project. I used ¾’’ poplar wood and ½’’ aluminum rod. The lower piece of wood in the photo is not part of mould. I am just using it to locate the position of the bulkheads. The mould will also double as a final bending form where the ribs will get the final shape.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:10 PM

Here is the super rib after bending. I just placed the rib over the unfinished form.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:14 PM

A closer look at the ribs
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:23 PM

cross section
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top