Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mail order pro or con?
kevin
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 05:00 AM
mail order pro or con?

hi all, my name is kevin and i am in the mode of buying an turkish oud. At last!

what are people's opinions and/or experience in buying thru the internet. I was contemplating in visiting the lark in the morining store in california and trying one out, but i suspect the quality will lack. There seems to be some interesting luthiers of ouds online, has anyone done this?

thanks !!
zovanou
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 12:30 PM
MAIL ORDER

IF YOU CAN GET TO ANAHEIM HILLS ,CA.
CONATCT NAJARIAN , GOOD QUALITY OUDS WHILE A LITLE PRICEY , ARE WELL
WORTH THE MONEY .
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 05:47 PM
Lark in the Morning

Kevin,

I left you a message on your Yahoo thread too.

I'm close to SF. You may want to get in touch with me.

SpyrosC.
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 05:05 PM
'Uds in the Bay Area

Gunaydin!

If you're going to be in the Bay area, you should try to get ahold of Hank Levin - he nearly always has some nice instruments.

Hank, You listening?
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 01:05 AM

I've heard not-so-great remarks about lark in the morning. I think it's more of an absolute amateur's store, someone who doesn't know exactly what to look for. As far as anything online, be suspicious. Ebay, for example, has become notorious for having somewhat not-so-well made ouds being sold. Sometimes the person gets it and just throws it away.

My advice would be to look more towards some of the professional builders website. That way, you can kind of ask for what you want and you're pretty much guaranteed a good sounding oud. Check out http://www.dimitrisouds.com for some fantastic ouds (both Arabic and Turkish). I believe Nazih Ghadban also has a site based from Lebanon. I doubt it would be very difficult to get in touch with them (especially since they have their sites up).

Keep us posted.

TP21

kevin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 04:33 AM

yeah, i've picked up on the impression about lark...
and ebay just doesn't seem the place for an oud. Like buying a watch from the guys on the street.

So I'm coming to the same conclusions, go to the makers. www.dimitrisouds does have some really cool instruments, keeping my fingers crossed - I'll let y'all know, thanks!
norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 01:17 PM

other Turkish makers with websites are Haluk Eryadin http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr/ and Sandettin Sandi http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/homepage.htm. Eryadin has been getting good feedback lately - people are really liking his instruments - and Sandi is well established. i have a Sandi, and i love it.
I ordered after Christmas a childrens size oud for my daughter from Eryadin - he was so gracious and helpful, - and based on the reviews for his instruments, etc - Im having him build me one .
Sofi's oud just arrived today, and we are uncrating it as we speak!

As to E-bay, its only worth checking because sometimes youll find a gem, if you can trace the maker. An Eraydin was just listed there a few days ago, but it didnt sell, as the asking price was about the same as what Eryadin is listing for. Im not gonna pay that dollar anount for a used instrument knowing what his direct new price is. Id stay away from the Shark In The Morning look -alikes that crop up on E bay -theyre easy to spot because they all run that some photo. I think these are all the same source as what youd also see at Mid East Mftg.

kevin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 07:33 AM

hi, thanks. Its looking like i either going with an oud from Haluk Eraydin or Nazih Ghadban . I think spending a few dollars more seems the way to go. I'm still waiting to hear from Dimitris Rapakousios, I really liked what i saw. ciao! kevin
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 08:53 AM
Dimitris Rapakousios

Hi. My friend Dimitris is not that big a computer person. If you would like to get in touch with him, please try calling or emailing Spyros Koliavasilis. Spyros is more computer oriented and helps out with this sort of thing.

Good luck with your quest for an oud!:airguitar:

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
kevin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-14-2004 at 03:55 AM
its on its way

alright! i bought an oud, from haluk eraydın in turkey. It wasn't an easy choice, but I guess I had to close my eyes and point eventually. Let y'all know how it goes. You guys have been great help, hope i can return the flavour. kevin
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 03:05 PM
affordable priced ouds

Quote:
Dear Friends,

If you need affordable priced good quality ouds,please visit (http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr) web site.We use precious woods for bowls:wenge, walnut,rosewood,maple,padouk,sapelli and especially juniper-the best wood for music instruments-,for soundboard we use best quality spruce wood,from high plateaus of Black Sea area,east of Turkey.
We use Ebony pegs,fingerboards,horn rosettes on our oud-1 and oud-4 professional models.
Regards to all.

HALUK ERAYDIN(halukeraydin@hotmail.com)
ERAYDIN SAZEVI LTD.

hi, thanks. Its looking like i either going with an oud from <B style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Haluk </B><B style="color:black;background-color:#A0FFFF">Eraydin</B> or Nazih Ghadban . I think spending a few dollars more seems the way to go. I'm still waiting to hear from Dimitris Rapakousios, I really liked what i saw. ciao! kevin
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 03:48 PM

Dear friend Kevin...
If you want to contact Dimitris you can send an e-mail by his site....
Anyway,If you would like in the future to order one of Dimitris instruments let me know....
I have some of Dimitris instruments for my profesional performances,and I am satisfited with the quality sound that they have....But,I don't like to bother every person that comes in the forum by advertising Dimitris's instruments....:)
If you want to ask me about more details for Dimitris's instruments just send me a mail or contact me directly with a phone call on my cell phone....it will be my pleasure...
Also,if you want send me a mail to send you a price list....Dimitris makes only profesional use instruments.....
Regards and respect from Greece....
Also you can see my new Turkish type oud.....and download Mahur saz semai on the forums on this site
And if you have msn messenger you can hear it directly;)
Regards::wavey:

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 04:31 PM

I bought an oud from Nazih Ghadban, and I was very pleased with what I got. He is honest, and great to deal with. Others have had good experiences with the Nile Shop (Yehia is his name) for Shehata ouds

Go To Top