Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can I remove the frets from my saz?
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 02:14 PM
Can I remove the frets from my saz?

I really enjoy playing the saz, but sometimes when trying to modulate it can become restricting because of the placement of frets. Would it be a stupid idea to remove the string frets and have a fretless saz? Has anyone tried it? I know it would become harder to play, especially because of the long neck but maybe once I get used to it I could use it to great advantage.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 09:08 PM

Even Erkan Ogur hasn't moved the frets from his saz. You can move the nylon frets up and down. You can change them to catgut which is easier to move than nylone but gives you a mellower sound.
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 11:23 PM

Thank you for the reply, but why do you think it is a bad idea? I don't really care if it is something that is commonly done or not, I am only concerened with the result.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 08:00 AM

I don't think it would be a bad idea exactly but it would give you less sustain and be more difficult to play. It probably would also be quieter. It might have a nice mellow sound, though. I am aware of a fretless bouzouki, which is nearly the same instrument. Be aware though, that fretless instruments generally have shorter scale necks, and there's probably a reason for that.

Concerning your reason for removing the frets, I think it's like gutting your house because you don't like the color your bedroom is painted. You can move the frets. You can also add extra frets; I know players who have done this with great results.

Your question was really two questions: 1) is removing the frets a good solution to the problem of intonation? and 2) would a fretless saz be a viable and effective instrument?
so,
1) Removing the frets is not necessary to play the instrument and modulate effectively; adding more frets is probably a more effective solution
and
2) probably.
Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 08:30 AM
Saz Frets, DON`t REMOVE THEM

Hello there,
I want to add that you`ll ruin your saz sound. It will not have any resonance, nor sustain. Try plaing on the body, after the last fret, you get NOTHING.
Of course, I`m biased as I am a saz player, but you shouldn`t be hindered by the frets. Just MOVE them if you want a different intonation. If you need more variety, add more, or learn to play Tambur, it has a 400 frets!
Okay, good luck.
What kind of music are you playing on your baglama?
Ciao, renato (in Chile)
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 03:02 PM

You're right, I didn't realize that it would sound like playing after the frets, which is no a great sound, truely. I don't think moving the frets is a great solution because I would like to be able to modulate while I play, but perhaps adding more frets is a better solution. Is it a very percise procedure, or will any nylon string tied tightly work?

Unrelated, but you mentioned the tanbur. Is it very different to the saz? Maybe you were joking, but none of the ones I saw pictured had that many frets! (though they all looked quite different).

As to what kind of music I am playing, beats me! I haven't been exposed to any saz music (recommendations?). I'd say my two biggest influences on the saz are definately rembetika compilations (which might use a saz, or some other bouzouki like instrument) and a tape of bedouin music that a friend of mine got from the bedouins he worked with down south, which is very basic 4/4 rhythms, a sumsumia - which kind of looks like a four stringed harp - playing pretty melodies with a constant drone and a strong beat, and a guy singing. Basically my saz playing is very rhythmic and repetetive, in a good way I feel, but I would like to be more diverse on it. The problem is that the space between the frets is a little big for it to be played like a bouzouki, but maybe I just need more practice. The whole construction of the instrument is pretty simple in terms of what it lets you play, but I am sure it is partly my lack of experience speaking. Also like I said my influences are limited (recommendations, again?). I would very much like to hear people from or not from this forum playing the saz, and to get ideas of other directions it can be taken.

Thanks for answering, please bear with my many questions. I will record myself playing the saz tomorrow if I have time, but I will wait a little before I let you hear me on the oud...
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Masel
I really enjoy playing the saz, but sometimes when trying to modulate it can become restricting because of the placement of frets.

What do you mean here by term "modulate"? what do you want to modulate to? other makams?

adam
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 01:34 AM

Yes, to other maqams, or ajnas. Like playing ajnas rast (C, D, E half flat) and changing to C, D half flat, E. But I still think the rembetika style works best on saz, though I found some videos of Cemil Bey playing the tanbur and I started playing like that a little, but like I said I always thought the saz was better equipped for playing a more rhythmic, and less "free-form" style than say the oud (taqasim etc.).

Once again, I am curious to hear other people's take on this instrument.

Go To Top