Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Left hand Technique
Red
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 09:16 AM
Left hand Technique

Hello,

I've been playing the OUD for almost two years on and off. I have never owned one of my own and never had a teacher. I learnt the oud alone when my older roomate had one. Recently i have purchased one of my own. It's a nice turkish oud, but i play Arabic music.

Anyways, I dont have any control of my little finger (Pinky) Im unable to use since it is very weak. Instead i shift the finger next to it and play the note. So far i havent had difficulties with this technique, but i realized that many of the maqamat require the use of the pinky or for me to adapt a new finger technique. Can anyone offer me any help regarding this matter?
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 04:41 PM
My advice

Hello,

This is a matter of brain registry. Your brain needs to have control over your pinky. this is why it is a weak finger.

Try to put this finger into action by playing four fingers backward "starting with the pinky" on all strings.

Long gaps between fingers will allow your brain to register that new lazy finger. Remember ... You can not fix a two years problem in two days. So take it easy on your self.

Good luck

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
blo
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 08:46 PM

Dear Red

What you have mentioned regarding shifting your fingers to replace the "pinky" finger is a school on itself ,many players use that technique and only that technique , it may even comes to using the the index and middle fingers only , but sometimes this effect of sweeping gives an undesirable result in sound when it comes to specific maqams ,so the traditional way of fingiring is still a must , practice is the only way to restore strengh to the meant finger ,the usually used limp developes.....

try practicing many pieces on maqamat the involve using the "pinky" much ,such as Saba , Hijaz ,also try Nahwand on G# , and Ajam on E ,maqamat that involve The pinky on almost all strings , as Emad Said ,it wont come in two nights, but it well come .

Take care
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 12:39 AM

Play chromatic scales in the FIRST position.
The displacement of the hand should be a voluntary act to obtain certain effect, not a necessity due to technical limitations.

Red
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 08:52 AM

Thanx guys, that was alot of help. Im thinking of purchasing this little exerciser. Hope it will help and not have the opposite effect.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 02:55 PM

Just practice playing with your pinky... its all there is to it.
this thing wont give you much help.
Good luck
MrOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 06:51 PM

Here is my two cents.
Don't use that thing man. Use it if you want to have a muscular left hand, but not to play the oud. What happens to your right hand in the meantime? You need to work them together. Your problem is not the muscle strength, it's the muscle memory.
My suggestion for your pinky:
As jazzchiss suggested, play chromatic in the first position very slowly. Put your fingers one by one on the fingerboard and keep it there so when you finally put your pinky on it, all four fingers are firmly on the board. Release them in the same manner going back. Do one beat per second with alternate picking down/up/down/up. Your picking will improve at the same time.
It takes about a month of daily practice to accomplish.

Regards

Udi Mike
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 10:22 PM

Dude, whatever you do, don't use the device you sent a picture of. It may help more advanced guitar players strenghten their fingers, but if you have a weak pinky to begin with you could end up doing much more harm than good. Just use the suggestions by MrOud, Jazzchiss, or SamirCanada. Take your time and gain your strength gradually from playing the suggested exercies, and build up the coordination between your left and right hands -- this kind of work will yeild far more benefits than any artificial grip strengthening device. My other 2 cents -- try to stay relaxed while doing the exercies. You'll get there, just give yourself some time.

Good luck...paulO
Red
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 04:19 AM

Frustrating really when I can see my finger, and i can see the area i need to press upon, but i simply cant!! Gonna keep practicing and hopefully i will grasp it. Thanx guys :)
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-21-2006 at 05:10 PM

Your pinky is not weak, it is just not trained. We are born with all the strength we need to play stringed instruments but we must practice to develop dexterity. I would also suggest training your hand using chromatic scales and the aid of a metronome. I would also suggest doing odd numbers of notes per string such as three and six... you can use middle, ring, pinky for these.

Also, the reason that the pinky feels so different is that it shares muscles and tendons with the ring finger. Developing a smart pinky is something all string players struggle with.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 7-26-2006 at 04:55 PM

http://oudcafe.com/left_hand_exercises.htm

These are some very basic exercises that help a lot.

:)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top