very good copy of tayar oud;)
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 06:54 PM

hey jameel

AMazing !!!!! whast yr next
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 03:14 PM

Thanks everybody. Glad to share....:) I'm not a master though. Still learning about this whole enchilada.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 05:41 PM

Thanks Jameel for sharing you are truly and inspiration for many people.
I love the way this oud sounds already it sounds a lot like my shehata.
Who is to say your not a master. Your are definetly a master of your own hands as you show us everytime you set about doing a project. you are way too humble but thats what defines your personality.
Keep the http://www.khalafoud.com going
its really the number 1 source for the north american oud enthousiast.
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 06:24 PM
Wow

Really beautiful work here ! :applause:

The sound is BIG! I love the open ringing quality to the notes. The sandwich top is definitely worth continued experiementation. Please keep going with this – I think you're really on to something!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 08:15 PM

Wow Jameel . . . I don't have the words to talk about this oud. Beautiful simplicity of design, great sound. I hope to someday have the honor of playing one of your instruments.
Fantastic.

ps. Nice playing, too . . .
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 07:55 AM

Absolutely gorgeous in every way Jameel! Geia sta xeria sou!

You are not only a masterful and innovative builder, but your presentation both in your playing and pictures are art in themselves.

I really look forward to playing your ouds sometime, and wish you the best and more of the same creativity and artfulness. :)

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 10:04 AM

Jameelo...you are a freakin' stud dude! I think I'm ready to order my first J.A. oud. Check your email inbox buddy! Thank goodness for tax returns and poker winnings!

By the way...got the oud stand. Thank you very much! Not only does it match perfectly with my furniture, but as usual, your craftsmanship is flawless and the oud stand is extremely functional. Much much better than the metal guitar stands and well worth the money!

Thanks again bro!

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 07:22 AM

Thanks again, my loyal followers! ;) I wish you could all play this oud so I could get a chance to stand back and really hear it. I'll post some audio/video as soon as I get this into the hands of a good player.

Thanks especially to Mike and his forum. I don't think I'd be making these things anymore if I couldn't share it with you all.

On to the next one! :airguitar:

Time
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 12:35 PM

This is amazing work Jameel you are the most generous man I have ever known. you share your knowldge with pride. thanks

The oud looks and sounds beautifull. I wish I can try it live.
akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 09:33 PM

hello jameel
could you past sound sample?
akram
akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:00 AM

thank you
it sound very good
akram
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 05:12 PM

Jameel, all is beautiful I wish you all the best for Christmas, Eid and the new year.... whasup for 2007 man another stunner?

all the best

Awad
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 07:19 PM

I have been looking at this beautiful oud over and over again, and finally I am able to hear the sound sample (computer problems). Stunning, my friend. Very rich, and even throughout the entire spectrum.
I love the look of this oud, as well. The simple beauty of that cherry wood--incredible.
How many coats of the Tru Oil did you finally put on? Did you just use the finish, or the Tru Oil sealer, as well? Whatever you did, I want to take the same approach next time around. A really beautiful, natural look.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 07:10 AM

Thanks Awad.

Jonathan, Thanks my friend. This oud is improving everyday. It's losing its rawness very quickly. It's developing a really great sound. You pick it up and just start playing Sunbati right away. It has more of the Sunbati-style sustain than a Farid-esque punch, at least at this point. I think this sandwich top is really going to pay off.

I probably did 20+ sessions of Tru Oil. Maybe a bit more. I did start with a coat of the sealer. It definitely is different than the Tru oil itself, quicker dry, less absorbtion. It speeds up the build process a bit. I'll probably use it again. After about the first 5 coats I did a wet sand with 400, not worrying if I cut through any layers of finish. I did this twice I think. (i.e. after another 5 coats) Then I just did about three coats a day, french-polished on (leaving no streaks). If there was any roughness or streaking, I sanded that out with 600 or 1000, lightly. After maybe the 15th coat it looks great and feels very smooth. I put a few extra on for good measure, then waited a week (pure agony!) before I rubbed with 0000 steel wool and buffed with a little lemon oil and burlap. The finish feels like a silk sheet. Oh yeah.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 07:41 AM

20+!! Wow. You're taking it to a whole new level!
Stunning.

Time
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 09:57 AM

Question:

I didn't see any flat sawn rips, is this intentional?

I think this is why it has a nice attractive appearance.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 10:07 AM

Those 20 are individually thin though, since applying it with the french polish technique doesn't allow for much build. You could get similar results doing brushed on thicker coats, but you'd problems with previous coats staying soft, and you'd have a less-flat finish at the end. Doing it this way takes more time, but in the end it's easier and you get better results.

Time, what's a flat saw rip? I don't understand.

Time
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 04:04 PM

Quarter sawn is how the soundboard is cut. Flat is the opposite. I am not sure if I am using the right terminology.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 05:33 PM

I see. My local sawyer provides me with 3" thick clear blanks that I can cut sequential ribs from. I generally try to pick the most attractive face to start from, quarterswan or not. Quartersawn ribs are probably more stable and stronger than flatsawn, especially if the flatsawn ribs have serious runout. But it the lumber is good quality I dont see that it matters. I honestly dont remember how well quartered this blank was originally, but judging from the grain and figure, it looks some are right on quarter, while other are tapering off a bit.

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-27-2006 at 08:01 PM

Jameel,

I only now had the opportunity to download and listen to your latest offering. A truly beautiful instrument to look at and to listen to. And your playing does great justice to this amazing instrument. You are an artist in every aspect of your work. Thank you sincerely for sharing.

Regards,

Greg
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 06:43 AM

Thanks Greg. Very kind of you to take the time to say so. I just wish I could make them faster. The best part about this is hearing people play my ouds.

excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 03:31 PM

wow- I just saw it for the first time, ya Jameel! amazing habibi! Eid milad saeed wa sanaa saeeda ya 3m!

tarik
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 03:42 PM

Hi Jameel, whos oud is that?? (the one standing on the oud stand) I have an exact same one. thanks

[img]http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=3959&pid=30313[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
You guys are too much. This is just a simple one. Jeez! (I can't wait to hear it either :D) Okay, questions.

Infamoud, this one might be for sale. Depends on how it sounds. I'll probably hold on to this one for a few months to see how the sandwich top develops, being the first sandwich top oud and all. Hmmm....maybe I'll call it the "shawarma" model. :))

Mav, the soundboard it tapping nicely. Nothing "incredible", but very good sustain and bass. The guitar maker I learned this from--his guitars have an incredible post-assembly tap. Almost like a drum, like the top is a stretched skin. Much more than an oud. I don't know if that means anything for the oud, but it's got me wondering.

Samir, I haven't hummed in the soundhole. Also, no to all your questions. Making the sandwich top definitely takes more time and labor, not to mention specialized tools like a very accurate thickness sander. In all, the sandwich top is more difficult to produce and costlier. Plus it's not forgiving. A slight miscut with a place or chisel, or even some ham-handed sanding could wreak havoc with the .5mm outer skin. I had some close calls on this one, but thank God nothing serious. Frankly, its a bit of a headache and worry to make, especially in cedar which is MUCH softer than spruce, and consequently subject to scratches and dings.

Lee, the top of the bridge is actually micarta. Its just there to prevent string wear in the walnut bridge. I normally would put two strips of bone fore and aft, this was easier and quicker. The oud stand is a prototype for one I'm working on. I'll probably have them available for sale soon. Here is a pic of a finished one in solid wlanut. I'm still figuring out materials (solid wood, veneered mdf, baltic birch ply), and prices. It has cork along the edges and where the neck rests--soft enough to not scratch, but still a bit grippy to prevent the oud sliding about. I'm also considering a strap for the neck area, but that might come later. It's not really necessary in my opinion.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 05:31 PM

That's an old oud once owned by Al Gardner. It's a Mahmoud Haddad (Sham). It's currently owned by Doc O.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6  7

Go To Top