Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: My next next oud...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:50 PM

You guys are too much. This is just a simple one. Jeez! (I can't wait to hear it either :D) Okay, questions.

Infamoud, this one might be for sale. Depends on how it sounds. I'll probably hold on to this one for a few months to see how the sandwich top develops, being the first sandwich top oud and all. Hmmm....maybe I'll call it the "shawarma" model. :))

Mav, the soundboard it tapping nicely. Nothing "incredible", but very good sustain and bass. The guitar maker I learned this from--his guitars have an incredible post-assembly tap. Almost like a drum, like the top is a stretched skin. Much more than an oud. I don't know if that means anything for the oud, but it's got me wondering.

Samir, I haven't hummed in the soundhole. Also, no to all your questions. Making the sandwich top definitely takes more time and labor, not to mention specialized tools like a very accurate thickness sander. In all, the sandwich top is more difficult to produce and costlier. Plus it's not forgiving. A slight miscut with a place or chisel, or even some ham-handed sanding could wreak havoc with the .5mm outer skin. I had some close calls on this one, but thank God nothing serious. Frankly, its a bit of a headache and worry to make, especially in cedar which is MUCH softer than spruce, and consequently subject to scratches and dings.

Lee, the top of the bridge is actually micarta. Its just there to prevent string wear in the walnut bridge. I normally would put two strips of bone fore and aft, this was easier and quicker. The oud stand is a prototype for one I'm working on. I'll probably have them available for sale soon. Here is a pic of a finished one in solid wlanut. I'm still figuring out materials (solid wood, veneered mdf, baltic birch ply), and prices. It has cork along the edges and where the neck rests--soft enough to not scratch, but still a bit grippy to prevent the oud sliding about. I'm also considering a strap for the neck area, but that might come later. It's not really necessary in my opinion.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:04 PM

About 5 coats Tru-oil. The cherry looks really nice. Its really figured. The shape of the bowl is also more apparent here. Moving more toward the Nahat shape mentioned in the early part of the thread.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:00 PM

Stunning
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 06:27 PM

dear jameel i am not even try to compliment your work u really know how i feel about it %100 top quality but i just noticed something that your oud stands they are stuning jameel you should definettly make more of those "ofcourse if you make them" and sell them on your webpage that would be a great business for you.

PS: i can not wait to see the finishing of this oud and hear it see it i am sure it will be perfect.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 04:39 AM

Hi Jameel,

again, your style is an art itself I admire the passion you put into your work and the detailed info and the step by step approach you share with others it make it look so easy and tempting to try doing what you do, its rather contagious man.

as in all your previous projects you're an asset to this forum, may God bless your hands, I'm sure all members agree you are a star and your brand one day will speak out LOUD, GO ahead man shock us again and again

I'm tempted to place my order soon :):):)

BIG UP JAMEEL :xtreme::xtreme::xtreme::xtreme:

the stool is beautiful too man very smart,

best regards to all OUD lovers, and fine art

thanks,

Awad
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 02:09 AM

Looking great....Thanks for sharing. Something to look forward to in time for Xmas :bounce:
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 02:31 PM

Hi Jameel,

The cherry is so beautiful and understated, and the "no separator strips" look is fantastic. I can only imagine what this looks like in person -- I love your work, and I echo the sentiments of others, thanks for sharing the projects, very much appreciated.

I can only say one thing about the oud stand -- I want one !!

Regards...PaulO
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 01:00 PM

Jameel,
That oud looks crazy! Now I understand why you were twisting the ribs. The bowl looks awsome. Can't wait for the completed oud. :xtreme:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 01:06 PM

Thanks everybody. The finish is coming along nicely. I've got about 15 coats of Tru-oil (very thin) on and the finish is looking beautiful.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 07:55 PM

Just beautiful Jameel, thank you!

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 05:46 PM

I just saw that GAL's issue #88, this Jan. is going to have a feature on the double top (with nomex) by Randy Reynolds. Should be interesting to read.
akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 10:34 AM

jameel
as in arabic "jamel jidan"
it is very buteful
i am wating for sound file
when you will make basher oud?
akram
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 12:07 PM

Jameel, another masterpiece, more than an oud but a work of art to add. Any installation problems or difficulties with the nomax?

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 05:48 PM

Thanks again everyone for your sentiments. I do appreciate your encouragement very much. It's a lot of fun making these things, and you all make it moreso.

So I'll wrap up the project by sharing some final thoughts about this particular oud. I started this instrument because I wanted to explore the possibility of making a bowl in the typical Nahat shape, and I thought the best way would be to just dive in and try it, instead of trying to figure it out in my head first. Building this bowl taught me a lot about non-circular bowl shapes, and set me up for making bowls of any almost shape. I wasn't as diligent as I should have been in preparing the neck block (I made the blocks rather quickly as I wanted to get going on the bowl). The neck is a bit thick towards the bowl. This is just a comfort issue, and doesn't particularly bother me. It actually makes the neck stiffer and less likely to distort over time. Other than that, the rest of oud came out pretty nice I think. After I made this "excercise" bowl, I decided I might as well finish it. Around that time a friend introduced me to a local classical Guitar maker and I was able to make the sandwich top of western red cedar and Nomex honeycomb. I don't have too many soundboards under my belt (and none of cedar), but this sandwich top definitely had a noticeable effect on the sound of this oud. Overall the oud is louder, deeper, more resonant, and has greater sustain and "echo" than the ouds I've made so far. It has a "big" sound so to speak. Now, whether these characteristics are desireable in a traditional Arabic style oud is a question that should be asked. I suppose in the end it's a matter of personal taste (and ouds are definitely subject to individual scrutiny, no doubt!). I am defintely interested in making another sandwich top oud, perhaps adjusting some of the parameters of this method to achieve different results. This oud is also less than a week old as of the following recording, so things will definitely change in the first year. To illustrate this, at the 8:28 mark in the recording, I switch to oud #2 (see 1st thread in this forum). This oud has mellowed and warmed a great deal in the year since I finished it. If this oud warms and mellows to the same extent, I anticipate this will be a very nice instrument, at least to my ears. I look forward to putting this oud into the hands of some accomplished players to get their feedback.

Another experimental aspect of this oud was the use of bone tuning pegs. In all, I'm really impressed by these pegs. The density of the bone allows a small shank for more precise tuning, as well as very smooth tuning. So far, these pegs have been more user-friendly than almost every wood peg I've used. Not to mention they look pretty unique too, but bone tuning pegs used to be quite popular in fact.

Here are the oud specs:

Bowl wood: American Black Cherry, Micarta tail cover inlay
Neck: Cherry veneered limewood
Pegbox: Cherry with Micarta end cap
Face: Western Red Cedar/Nomex sandwich
Rose: Nogale (Brazilian Walnut) ply with micarta calligraphic inlay
Bridge: American Black Walnut with micarta cap.
Face and fingerboard binding: Maple, Walnut and Mahogany tile
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Beard: Rosewood and micarta
Pegs: bone
Scale: 61.5cm
Strings: Pyramid Lute 3.5kg tension CFAdgc'

Sound sample: click here

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 05:55 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 05:57 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:00 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:00 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:05 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:14 PM

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:19 PM

brothers......:cool:

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:22 PM

Congratulations Jameel, terrific work!
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 10:50 PM

Yes....Borthers indeed, and I'm sure the sons of a very proud father:D I'm confident we can expect many more members of this unique family in years to come. Mabrouk Jameel on another outstanding effort. Just I'd like to also note the beauty of the "simplicity" of this new oud - definitely my cup of tea ;)

Samer;
Melbourne
INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 12:17 AM

Man...That Oud is a Beauty..And wow the sound has so much to it..I cant believe a new Oud can push sound out like that..You have blessed hands..Looking forward to more of your masterpieces..Thankyou for sharing..
riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 05:09 AM

it 's a beauty...
you are a master jameel:)
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top