Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Safety Tips and Tools
Hosam
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2006 at 10:33 AM
Safety Tips and Tools

This is a new thread where safety tips, equipments, techniques and tools can be posted and shared for the growing numbers of amature oud makers. I though the oud projects form will be more suitable than the advice form so everyone involved in oud projects can access this thread.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2006 at 11:24 AM

Dr. Oud dedicated a section at the beginning of his book to safety. I followed his advice and use this essential tool.
Here is the very basic safety tool that I use: basic dust mask, safety glasses, rubber work gloves, toxic dust respirator and ear muffs.
Maybe Dr Oud and other oud makers can share some of their tips here.
Any links to toxic and irritable wood will be very useful even though different people will have different reaction to this exotic wood.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-30-2006 at 02:17 PM

Way to go Hosam!
More basic safety-
Use a vacuum system or a fan to exhaust dust away from your lungs when sanding any wood. Be especially careful with Dalbergia species (rosewood, ebony, African blackwood) These can be toxic and are at least very irritating.
Regarding power tools - never push into a cutting tool with your hand any closer than 1 foot, (or use your foot), or better yet, use 2 scrap wood pieces to push the work piece, one pushing against the guide, the other pusing into the blade. I have a short finger myself from learning this one.
Keep your tool edges sharp - dull tools slip out of the wood, but are still sharp enough to cut flesh, and don't push a blade toward your own self. You can use a workbench stop or block or something.
Be extra careful with belt sanders. Sanded skin takes longer to heal than a cut and hurts a lot more meanwhile.
Keep first aid nearby and bandage up immediatel when injured. The longer you wait the longer it will take to heal.
Think safety!

Go To Top