Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Two beginner questions
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 10:25 PM
Two beginner questions

I've been playing the oud for a week now and I really enjoy it, plus I feel I've improved a lot. It is a wonderful instrument.
What I wanted to ask is whether vibrato is produced by trilling the strings up and down (like I am used to do on the guitar), or is it back and forth, like a small series of rapid slides.

The other question I had is more of a request: can anyone point me to a free recording software so that I can record a taqsim to upload to this forum? I want to get feedback on my playing from people who know the oud, not just my friends.
Thanks.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Masel

What I wanted to ask is whether vibrato is produced by trilling the strings up and down (like I am used to do on the guitar), or is it back and forth, like a small series of rapid slides.?

Yes is it like a small series of rapid slides. But be aware that using too much vibrato won't sound realistic. Try to carefully choose the right spots to use it. Also check the videos page.

Quote:

can anyone point me to a free recording software so that I can record a taqsim to upload to this forum?
Thanks.

Check this thread ...

http://www.arabicouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2924#pid1...

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 10:30 AM

Thanks. My vibrato on the oud doesn't sound too good yet, but I will record a short taqsim, I can't wait.
cshrem
Oud Maniac

Mood: feeling oudy

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Masel
The other question I had is more of a request: can anyone point me to a free recording software so that I can record a taqsim to upload to this forum? I want to get feedback on my playing from people who know the oud, not just my friends.
Thanks.

Hey, I would try Adobe Audition because if you are using a cheap mic then theres a feature (I can show you how to use it) where you can cancel the noise out in the background to make it sound better and more pro.
I think there is a trial for it and it costs like $300

Charlie S.
cshrem@gmail.com
NYC NY,USA
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 02:59 PM

Try Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) for free (Windows) recording software. You can do a search on audacity in the forum for further discussion. There are also a bunch of discussion threads on microphones, recording, etc.

Happy hunting!

Nathan
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 04:04 PM

hello,

As I am usure if you are using a pc or mac I cannot say if the software that I am suggesting to you might wish to use, but think about this anyway. If you have a cd burner on your computer (most do these days) and if you have the nero burning software than try using their recorder built in. I believe it is called nero wave editor or something similar like that. If not look at what the others have posted and choose the one you like best. Good luck in your recording and looking forward to hearing what you have learned. I've been learning this instrument for two years and it is both frustrating at times and yet wonderfully relaxing in other momments. Welcome to the list.

dennis

Go To Top