Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the great iraqi player Ali Al-Imam
oistrach13
Oud Addict

Mood: es geht

[*] posted on 7-4-2006 at 12:52 AM
the great iraqi player Ali Al-Imam

Well, I just put this up. what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdv-nz-Lsaw
Khanabat
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2006 at 03:41 PM

It is a great Taqseem; It is mainly influenced by Maqam Hijaz Diwan from the Iraqi Maqam repertoire. Especially the beginning and then he goes into different other phrases. His technique has an Iraqi flavor (Sherif Muhhyiddine Haydar school).
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 12:24 AM

Yes I do agree, Hijaz Diwan is there, especially in after the first 20 seconds, but it keeps coming back really. The whole taksim has flashes of it hidden somewhere, but it is obviously intended as a taksim, not an introduction for a maqam singer.

Do you smell any madmi in the high pitched part? I'm not sure, but I got that impression.
Khanabat
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 04:07 PM

I thought so too, but I think he made a point not to make it sound like a madmi. He made us feel the Hijaz but was ambiguos about the phrasing.
Yes, Hijaz Diwan was the main theme of the Taqseem and of course it wasnt intended as an intro to a maqam. It comes back in differnt flavors that is one of the reasons I really like the Taqseem, it is really grounded in a theme.
by the way how did you start following Iraqi maqam? you seem to have good knowlege . I have been trying to find people who are into Iraqi maqam and they are very few. Iraqi maqam has been almost all what I listen to for a while now. It is an amazing world/philosophy.
best,
omar
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 03:18 AM

Well, I heard about it while reading stuff on the internet, and slowly I developed a liking for it. As for what I know about it, it isn't that much, everything I know came from the zeryab forum where there is a member (by the name of Awj) who is an encyclopaedia of maqam, and his uploads have been a great help.

It is a pitty that nobody listens to it these days, I understand your feeling in trying to find somebody here who listens to it, but from my experience, it's going to be difficult.
mjamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2006 at 08:35 PM

it would be great if we can find some mp3s for Ali Imam

I digitized an old tape i had for him i'll try to post it in the clips section when i get time

have you got anything for him?
oistrach13
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 05:36 AM

I don't have any mp3s of him unfortunately, I have another video or so, but not as clear as this one, it is originally from a yousef omar maqam reading. I don't have the maqam, just the oud bit, but bear with me, I'm trying to get the whole thing.

Go To Top