Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 6- vs. 7-String Ouds -- Recommendations?
Wheeler
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 03:04 PM
6- vs. 7-String Ouds -- Recommendations?

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I have played a variety of string instruments, including guitar, mandolin, and bouzouki. I briefly owned an Oud (inexpensive, Egyptian 6-string), which I enjoyed playing at the time. I would like to purchase a decent, high-quality Oud and focus on developing my playing skills.

I am wondering if there is a strong reason to consider buying a 7-string Oud as opposed to a 6-string? The opportunity for a greater range of notes in the first position seems appealing on the face of it. So my initial feeling is to lean towards the 7-string instrument.

On the other hand, I am aware that a lot of incredible music has been played on the 6-string, so is the 7-string "overkill," a needless luxury? Is there any kind of consensus developing in the Oud playing community that the 7-strings are the way of the future?

While I can see the obvious advantage of having a greater range of notes, are there any compelling reasons why one would NOT want the 7-strings? (Technical limitations, playability issues, instrument structure caveats).

One thing that seems clear is that the 7-string Ouds are less common and, therefore, more expensive (it seems). Also the strings may be a bit harder to obtain.

What I am asking myself is: Is ordering a 7-string Oud a "no brainer" in that there are only positives and no drawbacks? Or is the extra string a nice to have but possibly not worth it in the long run?

I realize this is largely a preference issue also, but I would enjoy hearing from anyone who has thought about this.

Thanks in advance for any comments ....

John
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 09:00 AM
7 strings or 6

I own both types. The extra range of the 7 courses is nice for some things but it's not a huge deal once you get used to playing up the neck. The only diasadvantages are you have to get used to a wider neck, you have to buy custom string sets and you have to tune an extra set of strings.

Playability is probably the biggest issue. I'm used to playing classical guitar which has a wider neck and much higher tension strings so a 7 string oud neck isn't that big a deal for me but a narrower neck IS more comfortable. I don't think you'll find that the extra strings offer that dramatic an enhancement of the ouds musical capabilities and, as you point out, they are more expensive – consider it carefully!

Right now I'm experimenting with unusual tunings for the 7 course oud to take advantage of extra drone string or chordal capabilities but I find myself picking up the 6 string a bit more for most of my current playing needs.

Its something I would consider only if I had a good 6 string oud already.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Wheeler
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 10:36 AM

Lee,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your taking the time to reply and share own experiences with th 6- vs. 7-string topic.

My sense is that the 7-string is a "nice to have" but there is not really an overriding reason to prefer it over the 6-string.

It sounds like the 6-string is really the foundational instrument and fulfills most of the musical needs for most playing situations for most players and is the place to start.

Thanks again.

Any other comments appreciated from others who have looked at this issue.

John
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 11:19 AM

Also john, depending on where you are located, you may be limited to 6 strings becuase of oud availability. I don't recall ever saying a 7 course oud for sale here on the forums. You probably have to go custom for such a oud which will involve more time and expenses.

Go To Top