Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TAQSIM..TAQSIM--TAQSIM
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 05:31 PM
TAQSIM..TAQSIM--TAQSIM

Hello Fine people :bowdown:

I'd like to start a new topic to talk about taqsim. what does it mean? and what is it based on? should the oudist tell a story through his taqsim? :shrug:

Let's talk

Emad from Sydney
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

Mood: in LOVE

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:28 AM

hi Emad. nice topic.

i will start with ur last question.
should the oudist tell a story through his taqsim ?
well, not neccessary, the oud player should express his emotion he has at that time, he could be happy, mad, angry etc..
and this is also the answer of ur second question, the taqaseem is based on the oud player emotions, sometime the oud player ply the same taqaseem many times, but u can feel there is somthing differnt, the feeling of the oud player at that time.

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
zeyad
Oud Addict

Mood: love the oud

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 06:36 AM

Hi elrabee3,
I agree with you that Oud players express their emotions and feelings. They also tell stories when they play... because when you express your feelings and emotions, you actually tell us about them :) ..... so they are stories to listen to, and to tell about, too. And after all, art is all about expression.
PS: I heard some clips of you guys "elrabee3 and Emad" playing Oud , you rock. You both have really different but beautiful styles. We have not hear from you for while.. busy??
Zeyad
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 12:21 PM

Hello fine people

Thank you guys for joining in this topic.

In fact I agree on what you said about showing our feelings when we play taqsim. for sure we need to remember that we are to go by the rules of returning back to the maqam.

I have noticed that some of us does it the other way around which is something I disagree with. Going by the rules for the sake of coming up with a taqsim is in my opinion like a fake thing. a story must be told or a stream of emotions should be shown. what you guys think?

I was busy lately and did not have time to be able to post taqsim or I should say I was not ready. Maybe soon.:shrug:

Best regards,

Emad
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 02:39 PM

zeyad, r u sure it s me, i'v never played oud in my life, NEVER. :shrug:

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 02:55 PM

i want to add somthing, i think there are two types of taqaseem.
1. taqaseem played by reading the music notes.
2. i dont know the english transalaton of this word, but it is called "Ertijal".
i like the seond type, becuse it shows the imgaination of the oud player, how he can trnslate his current feeling into tunes, nothing can limit him if he is talnted.

from what i see know, most of the oud players play without feeling, thats what is missing these days, not only in taqaseem but in mueic in general. somthing like the tarab.
i rarley listen to these days oud players and say "allahh" when they finish.

i am not saying playing by reading the music notes is not good thing to listen, but i think there are boundaries for the oud player, he cant go further , it is like listeing to abdulhalim singing mawaal :D :D :D

i like the unexpected in the taqaseem, things make u think, how the oud player did that. like this taqaseem by the king, specialy the part in 3:36 and 4:09.
i also like when the oud player interact with the audience, like in farid ghosn taqaseem.

there are many GREAT oud players, but sometime i feel bored when i listen to their taqaseem (like Muneer Basheer). :rolleyes:

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 03:18 PM

Hi Jaber :wavey:

Ertijal or Improvising is best type of taqsim that is for sure because it is more touching and it has got more feelings in it.

I agree with some of what you said about being bored by some of the great musicians taqsims. it is true that some of them go by the rules only.

I also think that taqsim starts with at least a little idea.

Regards,

Emad
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:38 PM

Hey guys,

Nice topic. I once talked to a guy who is an excellent oud player. He told me that he didn't know how to do a real taqsim until after around three years of playing. I'm going on four, and I still don't know how. :shrug: Anyway, check out Mav's site for a good description on Taksim.

http://www.oudcafe.com/part II of lesson dec.htm

Take care,
Mike

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:52 PM

hi guys. i don't know who you mean is boring, it doesn't really matter though. i think you're right, there needs to be emotion. otherwise, it's like a conversation without any meaning. the character or 'rules' of the makams are very important of course, but like you've all said, we need to give some of ourselves to make it personal/emotional.

by the way, i'm glad when anyone visits my site, but remember, listening to great taksim is the best way to learn to play great taksim. books or a website only teach you so much. listening to the masters is most important.

later guys.

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
zeyad
Oud Addict

Mood: love the oud

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 06:07 PM
to elrabee3

HI elrabee3,
I am sorry I think I was confused between you and ra7aal_14. I think you both are from Dubai, UAE, right? why not learning the Oud ? :)
Have a nice day.
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 10:01 PM

hi all,
while relativley new to the oud, ive been playing guitar for 30 years - and most of that in a solo improvisatory context, in the avantgarde or freejazz spheres. its not random, however, and most practitioners in the filed develop a pretty rigourous methodology.
For me, music is a spiritual path that entails some responsibility: We have all been blessed with a talent or passion for music, and in return for that gift, we have a responsibility to treat that gift with respect, with gratitude, and use it to connect divine grace with those who care to listen.
So we're the go-between, the vessel.
When I go to a concert, Im looking for transcendence, Im looking for the love of God to be transmitted by the vessel of the performer, I want to be transported ; - So my goal as a performer is to do that. Not always easy!
:)

elrabee3
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2004 at 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zeyad
HI elrabee3,
I am sorry I think I was confused between you and ra7aal_14. I think you both are from Dubai, UAE, right? why not learning the Oud ? :)
Have a nice day.

hi zyad, i am from Dubai, but ra7aal (saad) is from Jordan, but both of us are big Abadi fans.
why not learning the Oud ?
no time my friend, no time. cuse i have somthing bad in me (or it could be good), when i want to do somthing, i have to do it in the best way, so to be able to be good oud player, i have to spend hours learining everyday. and i am this kind of guys who like to learn everything by themselves. so, mybe later this year, i may buy a good oud, and spend somtime with it.

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2004 at 05:20 PM
to norumba

norumba, :wavey:

You seem to have a better understanding than me which I gladly admit. But since you are that good with words, is it possible for you to let us listen to what your oud says too?

Please .. Please .. Please .. Please .. Please

Emad from sydney
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-16-2004 at 07:37 AM

youre too kind...:bowdown:
I posted a bunch of streaming mp3s on the general 'players taqsim thread, on page 1...you can also hunt and peck threough my main site for them at http://www.norumba.com....
Ill be posting on ther rast thread over the weekend - i have a piece that im working on that cant make up irts mind between rast or ajam:)

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2004 at 12:48 PM
great

Hi norumba:wavey:

I do appreciate your kind reply, I'll visit your web site and get back to you for sure.

I look forward to listenning to your rast/ajm. All the best man..

Oh by the way.. what a pretty little girl you have got there. very cute oudist ;)

All the best

Emad from sydney
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-18-2004 at 03:15 PM
About the taqsim

.....The taqsim is based on the maqam,and ussually is the introduction to a song-piece on the maqam....But,the taqsim is something personal,the soul of the man,the voice of the soul,there are many taqsims that great udis have played and they are on 'piece of paper'';),classical ones,but....as my teacher says,the taqsim is the mirror of our lives,and it change with the pass of the years,at the beginning is strong,quick,with many words[mizraps],but as you getting old,it becomes more distilated,like the good old wine.......
regards

Go To Top