Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What if it's true! So your buying an oud?
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 06:47 PM

Brian this oud is good , I had the same problem when i got my first oud..You can ask Mike and Greg ..I was wrong since i was used to Cordoba Guitars machine made where they are about to be perfect. This is a hand made oud and Jake doesnt want to undestand that this oud is PERFECT . The parts he requested are waiting to be shipped .But he doesnt realiase that there is a WAR in Lebanon.That guy is crazy..People are daying there and everything is shut and he is naging about a stinky oud... He is driving every one crazy and doesnt want to wait till the war stops and solve this problem..But he is done and thats it..I will not help him or anyone anymore and the parts will not be send to him..I could have send them to him from the USA..But he has been a crazy guy and i will never respond to him niether my friend..He is a history.......END OF IT..I m Mr. nice but he wants the oud and all his money back..Well that oud was only $1450.00 and not $1650 as he says...That guy is CRAZY...Sorry but this is the end and nothing is wrong with the Oud .........He will find out one day ..He herd that oud for a while over the phone before he bought it ..Is that right JAKE???????
Regards to all sorry i do not want to waste my time anymore and respond to you Jake..Good Luck.....
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:33 PM

Are you guys kidding me? Jake I am with you 100 percent. If I pay $1600 for a oud and get that thing in the mail, I would be devestated. Guys lets step back here, $1600 is a huge chunk of money. You talk about established standards and comparing oud to guitar, I payed half that amount for a shehata and don't have anywhere near as many blemishes. I've seen construction of ouds on this website by Jameel and others and never noticed that many scratches or gaps under the bridge. I've seen beginner turkish ouds that look like they're in better condition than this. I'm not saying this is a "garbage oud" or is not playable; Certainly Not! But it seems to me that any oud being sold at such a price should be held to a higher standard.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:58 PM

In case someone misinterprets my comments, let me make it clear that I do not own a Ghadban oud and have never seen one in person. I am also not as experienced as some of the guys who have already commented on this. I am only comparaing Jake's experience of buying a first professional oud to mine.These pictures come as a surprise to me becuase most people who purchase his ouds are very very pleased with them. I am sure that Jake would not have considered spending $1600 on this oud had he not read such great comments made about these instrumetns. Also, there seems to be some debate here about the subsequent offers that have been made to jake so no one should take these discussions as an ultimatum.
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 03:59 AM

LOOKS LIKE TOO MANY DOCTORS IN THIS FORUMS..YOU ALL SHOULD BE MAKING OUDS..I THINK THAT THIS IS ALL BS....THIS DISCUTION IS CLOSSED.. JAKE IS WISTING HIS TIME AND OTHERS TIME...
REVALDO LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE AN EXPERT. YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK..
Ghalikum ethanu mayi....bunch of hiblane...........................
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 05:24 AM

hey revaldo 29
i will buy it first when it comes out ;)
thx sammy
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 08:12 AM

Hi Folks,

My experience in buying ouds over the years.

1. Built to order ouds are a gamble, there might be something with either the cosmetics, or sound that dissapoint you. I have been lucky that the pegs and playability have always been great on the ouds I've orderd.

2. The makers I have experience with - Peter Kyvelos, John Merjanian, Richard Hankey, and Viken Najarian have all been great. But I was fortunate enough to either be able to drive to their shop, or had seen several examples of their work before commiting to a purchase.

3. Pictures of ouds are nice, fun to look at, and speculate about. But pictures do not show if this particualr oud suits the person who purchased it, either in playability or sound. If Jake likes it, fine -- if I like it, and Jake hates it -- bummer. There are hundreds of things about an oud that could turn a person off, including odor (this oud stinks-literaly).

4. I am an expert in picking out ouds that I like; a complete and utter failure in choosing ouds that somebody else would like. revaldo 29, please put me down for a copy of your book :cool:

Cheers..paulO
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:39 AM

Firstly, I think a comparison in the price of Ouds purchased from the Middle East to guitars made in the west is absurd. Things (including labor) are cheaper in the Middle East than they are in the west. If a comparison needs to be made it should be made between Ouds by other makers in the same region. As another member noted, a sheheta with that price would certainly not have problems to this extent.
Secondly, let me express my deepest sympathies and prayers for the people of Lebanon. However, the purchase a 1600$ “Professional Quality Oud” from supposedly honest people should not require one to end up with an instrument of poor craftsmanship and an extra month of waiting around for the maker to do what he should have done BEFORE sending the instrument out. If Jake-being a beginner, had not noticed these flaws and complained they would have gotten away with it which causes one to speculate whether this was the thought behind this act.
Lastly, Syrianoud, in your previous abusive posts you mentioned nothing of supplies being sent to Jake which brings doubt to the veritably of the claim that supplies were to be sent in order to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, as seen with this situation, for many people attainment of wealth comes before offering a quality service which causes them to claim that their instruments won first place prizes in festivals when they really didn’t, to sell an instrument purchased for 50$ for $850(more than what the maker charges) and to censor others when these issues are pointed out.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 10:36 AM

Jake joined this board 2 weeks ago.

So far, he has been called “crazy”. He has been told that he is full of “BS.” At least one of you thinks he should be banned from the board. His words have been twisted and taken out of context, and he has been made fun of.

Take another look at the bridge, and the gap under it. Take another look at the binding. If you guys want to argue that it is worth the price he paid, fine—I don’t know whether it is worth it or not. Personally, I would not pay it, but that is only my opinion.

The oud is "perfect"? Really?

I think the level of hostility that has been directed at him has been uncalled for.

I have no idea who Jake is. But, I somehow thought that, as a community, we were above this petty name-calling and ridicule.

He asked for help. Instead, he is insulted.

Revaldo takes a different opinion than most of you, and he is mocked and told he should write a book. He didn't claim to be an expert--he was offering an opinion.

Finally, some of us have longer memories than others, and find the whole issue here reminiscent of a similar episode that happened in the not so distant past. It's a pity that those posts were deleted.

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:11 AM

hey jon
do you want revaldos book or not
:Dthx sammy
DJdog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:48 AM

Perhaps when the current horrors in Lebanon are past, and when there is time for reason and civility...perhaps then Monsieur Ghadban would add his comments to this thread.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 12:59 PM

I don't know Jake but I am shocked to find out that the oud claimed to be Mr. Ghadban's own work.

I think Jake has been very nice about this whole thing. From the pictures of this oud I would have been outraged even if I paid $ 500 for it. There is no excuse for selling a tourist quality oud at a professional oud price. Could it be that this oud was made by someone else and being sold as a Ghadban oud (anyone can sign an instrument)?

This is unfortunate because it ruins the reputation of a good oud maker, especially when under the current circumstances we are unable to hear Mr. Ghadban's side of the story.

Jake, was this oud shipped directly to you from Mr. Ghadban?
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 03:12 PM

This is getting a little out of control so Im closing the thread.
Im sure once Nazih has the opportunity, he will respond
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top