Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oh no! Not another builder-repairer
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 05:16 PM
Oh no! Not another builder-repairer

Yup, yet another player is becoming a dabbler.

I have purchased a couple of unfinished model 3 Haluk ouds that were shipped to South-Australia. Haluk wanted to do the buyers a favor by giving them better quality woods than what they had ordered. But they didn't want the upgrade, so the two ouds were begging for a new owner.

As they are unfinished, except for a filler coat, I intend to do the Tru-Oil thing.
I note that the best finish is obtained by rubbing between coats with fine steel wool. I would appreciate it if one of the experts could advise which grade of steel wool I should use.

BTW, this will definitely be a one-off. Don't expect to see me buying a saw bench and breaking up old pieces of furniture for fine old woods. I don't have the skill or inclination required for that sort of activity. :)
I have taken on this project more as a favor to Haluk than for any other reason.

Once finished, these ouds will be up for sale if any of the Australian forum members are interested.

Regards,

Greg
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 07:30 AM

Welcome to the asylum, Greg. You'll want to get the finest steel wool, 0000 grade, and don't use a lot pressure, just let the wool cut the bumps down.
I wouldn't bother with a bench saw (whatever that is?) If you do want a power saw, a good bandsaw is what you'll use most.
some tru-oil liks:
chuck's
LMI articles
Jameel's

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 01:24 PM

Thanks Richard.
Much appreciated.

Regards,

Greg