Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to remedy action being too high or too low?
nasers
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 11:30 AM
How to remedy action being too high or too low?

Hi, everyone. I would really appreciate some guidance on how to remedy action being too high or too low. I have one oud with each problem and only know of one trick where you push the string knot up or down on the bridge to get some relief.
For the high-action problem, is it advisable to drill another set of holes lower on the bridge or am I basically looking at a neck job?
And for the low-action problem (buzzing sound when I play a little hard), I tried higher tension La Bella strings which helped a little but don't know what else to do.

By the way, if anyone knows of a oud repair talent in Northern California, I would appreciate it.

Peace, naser
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-8-2006 at 12:36 PM

Here's my take on this subject. High action is most often due to the neck angle. This can be remidied 2 ways. 1- remove the neck and re-set the angle. 2- add a fingerboard on top of the existing one, tapering it to adjust the action.
Low action can be fixed by raising the top surface of the bridge with a shim - a flat stick of wood, then tying the string loops near the top of the bridge.

nasers
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2006 at 09:43 AM

Great tips! Thanks Richard.

Naser

Go To Top