Printable Version  
Author: Subject: carrying the oud in transatlantic flights
umut
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 07:28 AM
carrying the oud in transatlantic flights

hello all,

i wanted to get forum members opinions on how to carry an oud in a transatlantic flight (to us)... i normally would have it with me on board but with the latest security crises, it seems that nothing will be allowed on board except for a small plastic bag.

do you know if musical instruments could be an exception to this?

if not, do you have any tips in carrying the oud in the main cargo section of the plane? i would hate to do this but if i am out of options i would consider doing this...

thanks for any suggestions

umut
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 02:42 PM

Are you serious about these new regulations? Where are you flying to and from? It would really suck if instruments weren't allowed.
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 08:35 PM
ouds in transatlantic flights

Hi all,

I was thinking of this same thing, as I'm planing to bring an new oud from Cyril Vas in Kuwait.

I guess it will be impossible to carry on our ouds in flight any more. Think about it for a minute... this instrument in a leather case for somebody who knows nothing about world music, looks like a weapon of mass destruction and combine that with our middle eastern/ Arab looks, we're doomed.

I think to avoid unecessary hastle ( we're already hastled as it is!!) probably safe to ship in a secure hard case. I personally think a good oud should not be risked in cargo. if you are rich you could do just book a seat for your oud!!

for me no more dreams about a new oud I have to stick with what I have for now.

Aldokhi
umut
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-14-2006 at 11:34 PM

hi again,

i think the restrictions apply to flights that make a connection in british airports. so anyone flying from uk must be careful in making plans. i will be flying from istanbul turkey to new york, us, and my original reservation was with british airways now i am seeking other options.

i first thought that the restrictions applied to all flights that end up in us airports but i was mistaken. sorry for "false emergency".

still, however, it is difficult to get accurate and reliable information about the regulations right now. for flights that go through britain though, the restrictions will be in place for a while. i heard in the news that they will allow small briefcases but something like an oud is out of question.

other airlines (that fly from other countries) do not seem to have such strict regulations at this point and they would probably allow musical instruments on board.

umut
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 02:56 AM

So does anybody know where to buy a oud case for an long syrian oud (made by Mohamed Sukar from Aleppo)?

I fear it will be more expensive than the oud itself, but apparently there no other solution..
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 07:23 AM

The New York Times has a piece today about the problems of air travel with instruments ("Tighter Security is Jeopardizing Orchestra Tours"). We are not alone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/arts/music/15tour.html?ex=1313294...
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 02:41 AM

My experience is very simple.
I bought my oud last year in Istanbul.
I took the plane from Istanbul to Brussels only a few days after the bombs of London. Then a lot of controls and nervosity in the airport.
But the Turkish customs officers know what an oud is.
And I think they found me more sympathetic than any other tourist ! I took the oud with me in the plane.

Same think last month from Brussels to Nîmes and back (hello Zalzal). But in Belgium and in France, the customs officers asked me : "what is that... box?"
Renato
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 05:48 PM
American Airlines DESTROYED my instrument

Well, one year ago, I had my Flamenco guitar with me on a flight leaving Seattle going to Chile on American Airlines. They denied it entrance on the plane. After much commotion, it was grudgingly "check on" and put under the plane with the rest of the luggage. Well, it arrived, smashed beyond belief, with about $600 in damage. It was a $2000 instrument which quickly became firewood. They of course claimed NO responsibility and do not guarantee ANYTHING on their flights. I argued and took it up with the Better Business Bureau. After months, they said that they couldn´t do anything. They said "we´re sorry about the unfortunate incident and assure you that on your next trip we will try and be more careful" something like that. I lost. Unfortunately, I live in Chile and couldn`t wring their necks in the States!! I brought my oud from Seattle and Lan Chile told me that it wouldn`t fit in the overhead. When I pulled it out of the case, after 30 minutes of delaying the flight and having an argument, they finally stuffed it in the jacket closet with the First class flyers, telling me that it really shouldn`t be allowed on and that i should have bought another seat for it, blah, blah! So, take you risk. If you put it under the plane, build a sold, wood enclosure, like a coffin.
AMERICAN AIRLINES SUCKS AND I WILL NEVER FLY THEM AGAIN!!
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:27 PM

Is that your oud Roy? That's a real shame. Tell us more. Was this checked?

You can click on edit and upload a smaller version.

Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:42 PM

Oh man that made my stomach turn
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 08:06 PM

No, it is not my oud. It certainly is a shame to see it like that. I have today sent an e mail to Calton cases in Alberta. They make the best guitar cases in the world. I asked if they would be interested in making oud cases. I have one for my Manzer guitar and I feel reasonably secure checking it on a plane. You can jump on the case and probably even throw it on the ground with the instrument in it and it would be OK, although I haven't felt he need to do that. They cost around $600, but if the instrument is valuable it is worth it. Hopefully they will respond.

Roy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 08:54 PM

Iam not feeling well either Jason...
upset stomach to say the least.

What a shame... a priceless loss
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 02:39 AM

notifying or seeking advise from the airline beforehand is no help either - it's entirely up to the discretion of the check-in and boarding staff.

i'm not saying it would be a tremendous instrument but wouldn't it be possible to devise a traveling oud? ... one that can be disassembled and safely stored for travel? ... slot-in sound board with shallow bowl and detachable neck?

... sounds horrible.

we could call it the "interesting times" oud.

- bill
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 03:16 AM

shame for this crushed oud, we should do the same to the people who refuse letting the oud be taken on board:bounce:
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 09:57 AM

I spoke with Calton Cases and they said that it costs too much to tool up for the mould for oud cases; about $5000. They didn't think that there would be enough orders, which would have to be 100 just to cover the initial cost.

Roy
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 10:38 AM

Kingham cases of England makes cases for many lute makers. They have prices for lute cases on their website, I think it's around $500. http://www.kingham.co.uk/

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 11:37 AM

Not sure if this policy applies to international flights, but to my knowledge United is the only US carrier with explicit written carry-on exceptions for musical instruments, listing the larger dimensions for musical instruments that are allowed. ouds and guitars are both clearly permitted by their policy.
Everyone else has a vague policy that leaves it up to variously, the check-in agent, the security screeners, the gate agent, and the flight adttendants.
Except Delta, which has an explicit policy that they hate musicians and wish to see all instruments destroyed. I believe they are affiliated with the Taliban.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 01:04 PM

wow man i am so sorry
thats crazy hope you gwet all ye money for it
i iwll take it if you dont want it anymore ;);)
thx sammy
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 03:26 AM

you think you got troubles carrying an oud on board ...

Go To Top