Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Desert Island Recordings
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 04:20 AM
Desert Island Recordings

I posted this question in another topic area in Oud Questions, but it got lost in the shuffle. Since it is more of a duscussion topic than a simple question, I thought I'd post it again here as a separate topic in the hopes that it will be of interest.

There are 3 or 4 recordings that I suggest to my jazz guitar students that I feel are important to really know well. These are recordings that are to be studied and listened to over a period of years that represent essential concepts of jazz guitar playing. I wonder, if we had to choose 3 or 4 oud recordings what they would be. These should not be simply favorites, but recordings that represent and define the essential concepts, vocabulary etc. of modern oud playing. For example, I suspect that there must be a recording of Farid that is essential to know. The problem with this is that we all have our favorite recordings and artists, and the list becomes very long. Perhaps I am being unreasonable to suggest this, but it could be fun and educational at the very least. So, here are the guide lines for suggesting 4 essential oud recordings for study:
[1] it must be a solo oud recording
[2] the recording must represent a particular concept that is important to the oud playing tradition (You must say what is important about this particular recording. For example, this recording....is important because it established a unique way of developing taqseem that set a standard for all oud players. Or, this recording....is important because of the innovation in right hand technique etc.)
[3] It is generally accepted that a particular recording or artist defines a particular style better than any other. For example, this recording....defines the Egyptian style, the Iraqi style or Syrian style etc. better than any other)

So, there you have it; 4 desert island solo oud recordings. Can we do it?

Peace,
Roy
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 04:33 AM

Many may disagree, but to me, two artists define Turkish ud playing: Udi Yorgo Bacanos, and Udi Hrant Kenkulian. Bacanos had a brilliant approach to the oud, often with rapid fire phrases with just perfect intonation. His influence is still heard in Turkish music today (Yurdal Tokcan, and others). Hrant's music is as soulful as any oud music ever recorded. He was also one of the first (or, possibly the first) to introduce bidrectional picking to the Turkish ud tradition. For me, though, it is the vibrato that he achieves with the left hand that moves me the most.
Two indispensible cd's:
Udi Yorgo Bacanos, 1900-1977
Udi Hrant--The Early Recordings Volume 1
Sadly, some Hrant gems are available only on tough to find 78s and lps. However, the cd listed above contains many of his most important recordings.

journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 08:09 AM

Thanks Jonathan!
This is perfect! Lets get some more of this going! It would also be great if we can include sources for purchasing any of the recordings, catalogue numbers etc. I'm definitely going to look for those two recordings.

Roy
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 09:23 AM

Roy,

You may want to start with the lists at:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2609#pid167...
and paring them down from there. Not an easy task, but it will be interesting to see how this thread develops.

Regards,

Greg
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 04:07 AM

Hi Greg,
That is a great list, but a bit long. I'm hoping a few more oudists will suggest recordings and then get a discussion going to narrow it down.

Roy
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 04:59 AM

For Arabic oud players, I would have to narrow it down to these 2 cds -
1) Farid el Atrache http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IHYV/102-1634661-4992122?v=g...
-live recordings of some of Farids famous taqasimat - Farids playing still influences musicians today, especially his right hand technique and tremolo
2) Riyad el Sunbati http://www.aramusic.com/htmls/sid049.htm - studio recording of some of Riyads taqasimat, very different from Farid, his style emphasizes development of maqamat and modulation.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 06:16 AM

It's tough for me to recommend a CD, since there are great cuts on many mediocre CD's, For example, Victor's recommendation of Sunbati's Taqasim is of course one I would pick too, but his taqasim at the beginning of the Ashwaq CD is simply monumental and epic, while the rest of album doesn't feature any solo oud. I think a better question would be to pick maybe 25 individual tracks/performances for the desert island. Another example would be Simon Shaheen. Without exception Simon's greatest taqasims I've heard have all been live or from live "bootleg" recordings. In fact, I can't think of a single solo recording of Simon on oud from any of his albums. So we'd have to eliminate him from the desert island picks.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 06:32 AM

1. Udi Hrant Kenkulian (the album 'Udi Hrant on Traditional Crossroads)
2. Simon Shaheen- Turath
3. Richard Hagopian- Armenian Folk Music Through The Ages
4. George Mgrdichian - The Oud

Wow...its very difficult to decide which albums should go on this list, but these are 4 that I could not imagine being without.
So thats my contribution...
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 07:14 AM

This is fantastic guys! Thanks so much.

Roy
umut
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:49 AM

I agree with Jameel that it is difficult to name recordings. It is rather certain individuals who changed the scene and most of the time it is difficult to name an album or a recording for them. if there is a recording (album) it would most likely be a compilation of different recordings anyway (as is the case with yorgo bacanos or hrant kenkulian recordings.)

having said all this, i would still name a recording. serif muhittin targan (haydar)'s recording "music of the prophet's grandson" which can be reached at:

http://www.kalan.com/english/scripts/album/dispalbum.asp?id=3013

it has unfortunately not been issued outside of turkey if i'm not mistaken.

i think it must be in a list like this because serif muhittin is the first oud player who wrote solo pieces for the oud and these were mostly in classical western music modalities. he is also influential in terms of writing quite difficult etudes for the oud, which helped systematize oud playing.

my second pick would be munir bashir and his recordings in general not because he introduced a totally new technique or anything special about his playing (although i like it a lot), but because he is one major figure who introduced the instrument to the non eastern world and opened up a space for the oud in (what later became) the "world music" circles.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 03:24 PM

OK, so far we have these on the list.

Farid El Atrache, King of the Oud
Riyad el Sunbati, Taqaseem Oud
Serif Muhittin Targan, Music of the Prophet's Grandson

We need now to pick one Munir Bashir CD if possible. Thanks Amos, but could you say whay you feel those titles should be included? I ask this because I'm trying to compile a very small list of essential recordings as per the criteria in the first post on this topic. For example, I love Anouar Brahem's playing, but I wouldn't include his recordings on this list.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 05:46 AM

Since the cd of Serif Muhittin Targan is out of stock, and than unavailable, my opinion is that it is good for humanity (and for oud lovers like us) to share the existing cd.
What do think our moderator ? And the members of the forum ?
Our modern society has decided that art belong to commercial company.
That phenomenon is relatively recent in the story ans is not present everywhere in the world. Sharing music (and art in general) is a natural and healthy behaviour.
I DON'T WANT TO START A DISCUSSION ON THE SUBJECT !!!
I simply would like to hear and know the music of Serif Muhittin Targan.

Excuse me, Journeyman, to disturb your post.
But maybe you'll never listen to that cd.

Robert
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 06:10 AM

Thank you microber. As an educator, I generally support sharing archival material, and this is for educational purposes. I have ordered the King of the Oud and Tasakeem Oud CDs already but couldn't find any or the others listed. We are still waiting for someone to sugest one Munir Bashir CD. Anyone?

Thanks,
Roy
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 08:26 AM
Album for Munir Bashir

I'd suggest Munir Bashir's "The Art of the Ud"

A good recording of solo oud that shows his unique taksim style.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 09:34 AM

OK, here is a list of 6 essential recordings for all students of the oud to study.

Farid El Atrache, King of the Oud
Riyad el Sunbati, Taqaseem Oud
Serif Muhittin Targan, Music of the Prophet's Grandson
Munir Bashir, The Art of the Oud

That is probably enough work for the next 20 years or so. Are there any to add to this or does anyone disagree with the choices? Omissions? If not, I'll go with this, although someone might want to pick up the thread later. Thanks everyone for this great information. The Sherif Muhittin Targan recording doesn't seem to be available through retail, but I'll dig around for it. Good pickin!

Roy

Go To Top