Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old Turkish Oud 1970
Hagop
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 12:28 PM
Old Turkish Oud 1970

Hello everyone,

I've been a silent observer on this forum for quite some time, but this is my debut post! Exciting. Anyways, Im posting because I found this oud at my uncles house and I wanted to ask the masters on this forum their opinions on restoaration. Im not sure who made it, ill post a picture of the label. There is a name penciled in but i cant make it out. The date reads 8/9/970. There is absoutely nothing spectacular about the decorations, its merely a sentimental piece. The bowl is intact except for a large separation between 2 of the ribs. The pegbox is in good shape put the pegs are old,missing, and worn. The nexk is well intact, but the main problem lays in the face. The rosettes are pretty well intact except for the middle one which has a few cracks. The entire face (I think) needs to be replaced. You will see in the photos that as a result of the poor climate it was stored in, it has unfortunately cracked in many places.

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

PS- What methods can be used for reparing the crack in the purfling between the ribs...and also for "splicing" in purfling in places around the face?

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 10:07 AM

You might consider giving this oud to a professional to restore and learn some wookworking on a cheap oud first. I would repair the cracks in the face rather than replace it. The age of the wood will make a better sounding oud in the end. You can fill open cracks with slivers of spruce, and rub hide glue into hairline cracks. The inside should be reinforced with strips of parchment paper. The back crack just need some glue push it together and hold it with masking tape until the glue cures. Buy some viola pegs and re-fit them in the peg box. They will be a bit larger than the original ones, but you won't have to fill the holes to fit them.

Hagop
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 12:17 PM

Thank you very much Richard, that was extremely helpful. I'm seeing Mr.Kyvelos tomorrow so I think I'll take this one with me so he can take a look at it.

Regards!
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 01:40 PM

Hagop, I see from the label you have an Islyen oud. I own one too, you can see it on my site. Good luck with it.

Go To Top