Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Just a couple of shots
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:25 PM
Just a couple of shots

I wasn't going to make a thread on this, but I really love the way it is turning out, so I thought I would put up a couple of shots of one I am making now.
I am not going to bore you with a step-by-step on this, but I will post a couple of more shots when she is done.
I am trying to get it to look like this oud, which is from the late 1940s, and which I love. It is a hanum oud, though, and I want something a bit more full size. In fact, I am shooting for Arabic size on this one.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:26 PM

Cool, huh?
I know that the points at the base are not perfect, but they are really pretty close. I am going to put a small little inlay in there at the end.
The bottom maple ribs still have to be trimmed back.
So, this is going to be oud #2 for me. 5 million times easier for me than oud #1.
And the bowl is super light. Much, much lighter than oud #1 (that oud ended up weighing 2 lbs 15 oz--not too bad, but I am shooting for 2lbs 8 or less this time, I hope).

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:29 PM

It's a quilted maple, which will get a lot more noticeable at the end. It is just sanded to 80 grit for now. Still a few glue spots to get off.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:32 PM

And, I guess, while I am posting pics, I might as well put one up of my oud holder thing.
You can rotate the oud into any position you want, and secure it in that position. It is adjustable so that it will also work when the neck is on, and when the pegbox is on. Not that much help yet, but it might be when I get a little further on--fitting the braces, putting on the face, putting on the purfling trim. We'll see.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:37 PM

Just one more shot, so you can see that the thing can rotate.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 03:47 PM

What an honor to be the first one to reply!

This bowl is looking great Jonathan, I can see a big improvement from the first one. You are getting some great skills working with the alternating woods. (I'm not so brave) And I really like the lack of spacers. Can't wait to see it finished. Your oud-holding fixture is also very clever. Can we get a wider shot of your workspace? I see some interesting looking objects in the background.

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 04:30 PM

Jonathan,

This is great, man! The choice of alternating wood types matches one of the ouds that I have from Fathi Amin, and is also the same as one on which Riad el-Sunbati played on in a video interview. Both are great ouds, and, God willing, this one will be even greater!

Hopefully, we'll get to see this progressing project this coming weekend.

TP21

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 08:26 PM

Way to go Jonathan! I love the look of the bowl. This maple is going to look great when finished. Please take more than Just a couple of shots :)
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 03:20 AM

Jameel, I will try, but there is nothing to special to show. There are a few oud forms you can see lying around--just different shapes I have been fooling around with. And, if I pulled back a little more, you would see a couple of bowls I started and, for whatever reason, was dissatisfied with and abandoned.

I've been fooling around with that idea of curving the rib a couple of degrees accross its width, but I did not put it into practice on this one. It is not that tough to do, but I am not sure how much of a benefit it will be, especially when there are a lot of ribs. Maybe next time.

Part of what made this bowl so easy was the way of fitting the ribs, which I learned from your thread. Rather than tapering both sides of the rib blank to rough shape, I finally realized that only one side had to be tapered. The other side could be left as a straight line, relatively untouched except for some fine tuning. That made all of the difference.

I sort of like the oud holder thing. On my first oud, I always felt like I was a couple of hands short. That's why I initially made that foam padded simple holder that you can see behind that new holder I made. But, that was limited in that I really could not rotate the oud--it was only good when the face was straight up.

This new holder I made will lock the oud into any position (that's what those small capped dowels in the lower left do by locking the large dowel in the rack), and hopefully will make the fitting of the face and braces easier (and, perhaps, the purfling). I made a sleeve that will fit around the peg box and secure it, and rotate it, when it is finally placed on the neck).

Hosam, TP, thanks a lot. I am just trying to improve a bit with each. I think this bowl, though, is going to look pretty cool. My next one, though, is going to be all dark--either all walnut or walnut and rosewood. I am bending the wood now.

I will post some shots when I am done, but this is going to take a while.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 12:49 PM

Keep going Jonathan. Iam so proud of you. Since Iam trying to get started with my first bowl too. I had a few ribs in but its really hard to fit them. Iam going to study Jameel's way of doing it. I just recieved Doc O's book witch is going to help for the dimensions. Thanks.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 04:48 PM

This is looking great JV. I can't wait to see it this weekend.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 06:19 PM

Beautiful Jonathan! Man, it's so great to see you guys building your own instruments. I'm looking forward to seeing your work close up this weekend. :)

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 08:44 PM

Looks good Jonathan. That maple is going to look great. Is there any reason we don't see more flamed maple necks on ouds? Most guitar builders claim the wood isn't stable enough but it works fine for violin family instruments. Would it work for oud?
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 06:42 AM

Good job Jonathan
The first picture of the oud you are trying to inspirate yourself, looks pretty much like..my oud (from Syria)
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 06:44 AM

I'm just amazed to see people here making their own oud. If I would try that I'm sure the oud would buzz or will fall in parts after one taqasim..
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 08:37 AM

If I can do it, anybody can, Benjamin. T
Thanks

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 04:11 AM

I used spruce for the neck, with a small rosewood stringer, and maple and mahogany veneers. Nothing is attached yet, but it is looking OK. That's not the stringer you are seeing in the middle of the neck--just ebony veneer.
A lot of work still to be done on the peg box. I'm going to carry that banded pattern of maple and mahogany into the scroll cap on top of the peg box.
On the back of the pegbox, in the middle, you will see a larger white (maple) spacer, where I thought I would write in "2006". It's all a bit rough now, but I think it will shine up very nicely at the end.
My next goal is to inlay some contrasting wood strips into the top portion of the peg box, rather than just have the maple sides. Probably just a thin band of dark purfling, and some mahogany. That should give it a little more of a completed look. I hope.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 05:18 AM

Looking good Jonathan.
Good stuff!!
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 05:57 AM

Hi Jonathan,:bowdown::bowdown:

beautiful looking oud mate, since your last project everyone can see your sense of creativity and passion in your approach to your projects and its fine details, as your previous oud ( which still decorates my desktop ) this one is a master peice too.

Big up, Jonathan and please don't stop and amaze us more and more..

best regards to you and all,

Awad
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 07:30 AM

jon
I am liking man keep it up
thx sammy
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 04:44 PM

Finally some time to work on it. I remade the neck. Remade the pegbox.

Still needs a lot of sanding down, but I think the wood is going to look really nice at the end.

There were a couple of things with my first oud that I was not happy with.

First and foremost, the neck was a little thick. This neck is much, much slimmer.

This oud is also a lot lighter. The last one weighed in at 2 lbs 15oz. I want to shave at least 8 oz off of that, if possible.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 04:50 PM

I'll have to smooth out the inner surfaces of the holes, but its coming along.
The face isn't attached yet, but at least it is largely finished. I like the face really simple like this. I was even hesitant to do that little inlay at 12 o'clock.
I used a router for that outer ring on the central hole. Before, I used a circle cutter and a blade to dig out the channels for the purfling strips. I used the circle cutter/blade on all of the other locations. Way too much work. The router makes it a whole lot easier. I am actually looking forward to doing another face down the road.

That little bit of ebony/m.o.p at 12 oclock--I dug out the rectangle from the face with a blade. Is that how it is done, or do people generally use routers for stuff like that? I'm a newbie at all this woodworking stuff.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 05:01 PM

Not sure what I am going to put on the top of the peg box. I used a Turkish-looking scrolling top on my last one, but this time I might just put a cap of bone on top of this one--a little more Arabic looking, I guess.
I should have cleaned this up a bit more before posting the pics, but I am not going to be working on it again for a few more weeks.
May 1. That's the goal for finishing it.
Now to start working on the rosettes. I want to come up with my own pattern this time around.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 06:34 PM

Looking very nice Jonathan. I was wondering how you were coming along with this project. Sharp label, btw.

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 06:40 PM

Looking good Jonathan, I like the newer version of the neck more!
For routing cavity for inlay work a Dremel tools with small router base will work just fine.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top