Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 06:46 PM

Cool. Thanks. I'll try that.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 06:32 AM

Great work Jonathan! Looking forward to hearing this oud. :)

Keep it up my friend,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 09:14 AM

Dang! Coming up with a rosette design was tougher than I thought. But, here's what I came up with, just drawn on paper. Seems like it ought to be easy to come up with a design, but it was not.

On my first oud I stole a pattern off of another oud's rosette. Actually, it was an oud that my grandfather made, so in my mind it was rationalized as being a "tribute." But, this time around, I wanted my own pattern.

Now I am going to just glue the paper onto the rosette material (mircada this time), and start using the scroll saw. Then, I will remove the paper at the end.

That bird at 11 o'clock on the central rosette might be a bit much--I might end up deleting that.

Was there a computer program that would have made this all a bit easier? The central portion is geometric, although the scrolling vine on the perimeter is all free-form, so I am guessing that it would not lend itself all that well to a computer program.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 09:42 AM

Jonathan

Check this old thread, I'll be adding some stuff tonight

http://www.arabicouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=5157&...
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 09:21 AM

Thanks for the link.

I just realized how much I hate this part of the project. I've decided to give the laser cut method a try this time around. If anybody happens to know anybody in the Los Angeles area that does this type of thing, please let me know. Thanks!

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:42 AM

This is the third bowl that I have applied a finish to. The first was to the oud that I made, then to one that I restored, and now to this one. Each time, I used something different for the finish.
With the first, I used Tru Oil Sealer and Tru Oil Finish. For the second, I used Tru Oil Sealer and Polyurethane. For this one, I used Pore-O-Pac grain sealer and shellac, and I am happiest so far with the results this time around. I used pre-mixed shellac, both the brush on stuff and the shellac in an aerosol can. Incredibly easy to use, and it gives the wood a richness that I did not see before with the other finishes--although, admittedly, that probably has a lot to do with technique (or, more accurately, lack of technique).
So, not nearly done, but there's two coats of sealer on here, and 3 coats of shellac. The shellac is dry, but not yet rubbed down.
I wish I got a better shot of the quilting on the maple--you can sort of see it on the far ribs.
The shellac gave it all a very slight golden color, which I like a lot.
I am tempted to put a coat or two of polyurethane on at the very end, just for protection. Is this ok? Polyurethane over shellac?

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:51 AM

Still haven't put the finish on the neck or pegbox. Not really happy with the pegbox, and I am tempted to knock it off and do it over.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 05:10 AM

Pretty wood. So is it done? Let's hear it.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 05:25 AM

Nope. Not done yet. Hopefully, by the end of the year.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 04:21 PM

OK. I have one week that I can devote to completing this oud. I hope to have it done before the first of the year.
I did this in an unorthodox manner, I suppose. I put the finish on the oud before putting on the face, or fingerboard.
On my last oud, I had a tough time adequately masking the oud, and I got a spot of tru-oil on the face that I could not get off--small enough that most people won't notice it, but enough to bug me.
This time around, I figured I would do all the finish work first, then put on the face.
So, if it looks different than the last time around, it is because, after 2 coats of grain sealer, and 8 coats of shellac, I put on 5 coats of polyurethane. I sanded between each coat, then let the whole thing sit for a couple of weeks before I used pumice and rottenstone. Finally, I used some paste wax. It got a really nice, rich finish. I'm sold on shellac--I love the slight warmth that it imparts to the wood. I like the look a lot better than what I achieved with tru-oil on my first oud, and much better than what I got using only polyurethane on that refinish I did a while ago.
In the background, the face--I hope to put her on in the morning. And, finally, bowl number 3 (no need to critique the finish on that one--it's just got a little bit of shellac on it).

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-26-2007 at 06:37 AM

Looks beautiful Jonathan, great work!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2007 at 11:59 AM

Thanks, Mav.
Not done, but the face and fingerboard are on. I have a single string on there to hold the nut in place while it glues. A lot of volume. Can't wait to play it.
Still have to do some touch ups--some sanding of the edge banding, some little re-touches to the finish. There's a bunch of blue tape on the bowl, just protecting the finish a bit until I am done.
I hope to have it strung up in a couple of days.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-26-2007 at 12:45 PM

Looks beautiful JV. Old school looking oud. Very nice. The rosettes came out killer too. You should be proud buddy!

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 12-27-2007 at 03:02 AM

Jonathan Congratulations...i cant wait to hear the sound of your creation. Mike has right rosettes are very nice and authentic too..
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 04:20 AM

Thanks, guys. Very much.

New Years Eve, and she's all done. Sounds very good to my ears--very full, tons of volume. I guess I attribute that primarily to making the face a whole lot thinner this time around. I'll post a sound sample next week when the strings settle in a bit.

If you take a look at the very bottom of the face, you will see a very thin band of tiled-edge purfling just inside the edge banding. I trimmed a bit too much of the face when I was fitting it, and this band made up the difference. I sort of like it, though. It contains pink ivory, mulberry, and ebony--the woods I am using on the next oud (sort of a foreshadowing). For my next oud, I'm toying with the idea of going a little further with this--a thin band of tile edge purfling all around the face, then the solid black band on the outside.

The action is really low--intentionally. It took me forever to sand the fingerboard down to get rid of all the buzzing, but I finally got there. The bowl itself has a really nice dip in it--I was a lot more aggressive with the dip this time than I was the last time. I wish I could get a picture of it, but I haven't really been able to capture it.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 04:24 AM

I wish I had more of this maple.

So that's that. My second oud. Finally done.

Jesse Frank
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 05:19 AM

Looks great! I really like the rose!
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 05:39 AM

Congratulations Jonathan! Looks fantastic. The bowl woods are, again, beautiful. The finish looks very nice too. Can't wait to hear it.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 07:35 PM

Thanks!!
OK--now for the disaster follow up.
I finished the oud on 12/31. I had to travel by plane on 1/1, and I decided to take the oud with me.
You know where this story is going. . .
I have an incredible hard case that I like to use. It's just unbelievably strong. I think you could drop an oud in this case from several stories and the oud would live through it without any problems at all.
So, when the airline told me that I could not take the oud on the plane with me, I was upset, but figured I would be OK.
But of course, that was not the case.
Security went through the case (the only thing in there was the oud, of course), and, apparently when they went to return the oud to the case, they did not put it in properly.
This is one of those cases where the shape of the case is custom made to the shape of an oud, so the oud has to be tilted at a slight angle, and the tip of the peg box has to be inserted first. Otherwise, it just won't go.
Somebody apparently could not figure that out.
And it arrived with the neck broken off.
To make matters worse, the back of the neck was broken for about 1 cm. I had two dowel rods joining the neck to the neck block, and the dowel rods were more resistant than the mahogany neck. So the dowel rods stayed perfectly intact, but the back of the neck broke.
I can post pictures, but I think you get the idea.
So, I have spent the past couple of days doing repair work. I hope that the neck can be saved--I think it can. I glued it all back together, and then reset the neck.
I had originally gotten an incredibly low action, but it rose slightly when I reset it. After waiting for 24 hours, I tuned it up, played a quick song, and was worried that I might be stressing out the neck too much, so I took the strings out of tension for the time being. In a couple of days I will tune it up again. I know the glue is dry by now, but there is no need to take any extra risk.
Fortunately, the bowl and soundboard escaped without any harm.
The sound is fairly great. My playing remains fairly miserable.
Hopefully, this post will contain a sound sample

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 07:43 PM

What a disappointment, Jonathan. Glad you got it fixed though.

I can't believe this has happened to both ouds now! I would be fuming. I mean, breaking something in your own shop (I broke Mike's soundboard just a about an hour ago--and am still nauseated from it) is one thing, but when someone else does it? I would like to ring their necks. You should write your Senator. These airlines get away with anything with no responsibility. I would sue them. Grrrrrr!

On the other hand, I hope you've learned. Take your oud in a soft case on board with you, and never let your oud out of your site. Sad to say, but what a great example of how even the toughest case can be worthless, and even harmful.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 07:50 PM

The cool thing is, though, Jameel, that the sound on this thing is pretty wonderful. I haven't been that impressed with the sound I got on my first oud, or on that restoration. But this puppy just rings out forever. As much volume as any oud I have ever heard, and really a brilliant sound. Very full throughout. The high end is just super shiny bright, and the low end is really really full. Planing down the soundboard some more really helped out a lot.
I can't seem to post the sound sample, but I am going to keep trying. I've got it down to 1 MB, but it just won't post.

The thing that bugs me, though, is that I spent forever when I was making the oud to get the action just right. The action was so low, but clear. It rose just a bit this time, and I am not happy with it, so I will probably reset it. But, as you can understand, I am angry a bit, and I just can't do the job decently when I feel like that. I'm probably going to let the oud stand for a month or so until I re-attempt it, if I do go ahead and reset it. I am just hoping that the neck holds. We'll see.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 08:06 PM

OK, let's try this again. I just cut the sample off at the end, so there's now just a minute of playing here, but at least you will be able to hear something from it.
There are no effects on here, just me and a recorder. Wish the playing was better.
I know I am biased on this one, but I really like the sound. My first one did not have anywhere near this volume, nor this tone. The result on that one oud that I restored was slightly better than my first oud, but this one is much better. There's really no comparison.
I'm trying to figure out what I did differently this time around, but I can really only come up with the face being thinner. Also, I put a much more pronounced dip in the face this time around. I've seen some of those old Karibians that have just a huge dip in the face--this isn't that pronounced, but it is definitely noticeable.
Final weight, with the strings, is 2 lbs 6 oz. the first oud was 2 lbs 15 oz. A little better.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 06:00 PM

Sounds great Jonathan. Definitely better than the last. I'm the same as you regarding fixing things. Let it rest for a while, and your enthusiasm will return. I always do better work when I cool off for a while.

For example, there was one issue with Mike's oud that was giving me fits, I was at a point where I didn't know what to do. I let it go for a few days, then when I went to take care of it, the solution took all of 5 minutes, and was quite easy. I know that if I'd worked on in an agitated state, I would have just made it worse.

So yeah, let the oud live for a while and maybe you'll decide that the action is just right...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top