Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microphone questions (Samson)
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 04:56 PM
Microphone questions (Samson)

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a Samson C01U or C03U microphone, for recording my oud in my room (not for live playing) and the difference is that the C03U has three patterns for recording cardiod, omni, and figure 8, whereas the C01U has just cardioid, but they both have the same frequency response. The specs for both these microphones can be seen here for the patterns and frequency response.
C01U Specs
C03U Specs
I'm getting one of these because it is USB interface for my computer and I don't want to spend the extra money on buying a PCI interface for the traditional microphones.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:20 AM

If you just want to record the sound of the oud, the C01U would be okay, but the omni and figure 8 settings on the C03U would let you get the sound of the room as well. This could be a good thing if you have a nice, quiet, echoey space, but a bad thing if there is a lot of street noise or babies crying in the next room.

I'd go for the one with more options - that way you can set it on cardiod for noisy times and omni for quiet times.

Of course, you could always record with the cardiod mic and add reverb to the recording later.

Happy recording!
Nathan
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:00 PM

Hi,

I have a CO-1 and I tried recording on it. Infact i compared it to an AT-4040, a Behringer B-1, and to a Russian MK-319. The CO-1 has a high background noise. These other options are much better, especially the Mk-319, which you can buy off ebay.com. Many people say that the MK-319, is a poor mans neuman, which is the best microphone out there. Since we have the other ones, we never used the CO-1 again. It's just in storage now, but I will keep it just incase.

Prices:

AT-4040 (new 450 USD, I paid 220 USD on ebay)
Behringer B-1 (new 70 USD, which I paid)
MK-319, the best one for the vaule (new 100 USD).

Chris
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:19 AM

the c01U is a usb interface, i haven't noticed any noise, its actually pretty good, I bought it already for $80.
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 02:21 PM
hi

It definitely good for the value, but the background noise is definitely higher than what you would notice with the mk-319, or the Behringer B-1. MK-319 always has a suprior quality recording most of the time. I am not sure if the others are USB also.

Chris

Go To Top