Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 Pyramids strings... help!
FloydB
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 02:36 PM
3 Pyramids strings... help!

OK... here comes a really newbie question....when I ordered my oud, the seller sent me a set of 3 Pyramids strings as extras. (The oud came strung with 11 strings) I went to put them on the oud today and am confused. There are 10 strings in all.... four double pairs (marked 1st through 4th) and a single for the fifth. In the first envelope, there was a really light string that is lighter than the pair marked as 1st. I had gone ahead and ordererd a couple more pairs of these strings (jsut so I would have extras on hand ) and I checked them and they are the same.

Can someone help me clear up this confusion?

Floyd
nasers
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 03:42 PM

Floyd, That is the way some string packages come. That is why you have to be careful when ordering some. Another important difference is whether or not you want the 3rd pair be nylon or wound. Anyway, I believe you can just use a guitar 6th string for oud and it will be fine.

Naser
FloydB
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 06:42 PM

Boy, do I feel like a dope..... After looking at the strings again, I noticed that a couple of them (like the ultra light string) were double length so, after cutting them, I had my 11 strings. *blush* LIve and learn, eh?

Now if I can just get the thing to hold tune. I have applied some peg dope and will try again in the morning...... Sorry for disturbing you with my squealings (though I had forgotten the sense of acconplishment that comes with learning to string a new instrument...:D )

Floyd
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-21-2006 at 07:11 PM

It will take a few days for the pegs to hold well with new strings Floyd. Does the peg dope seem to work well? I've thought about trying it but once the strings settle I usually don't have much trouble
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 11:14 AM

Hi Floyd,

Be careful if you decide to use a Guitar 6th string on your oud. Many classical guitar 6th strings are fairly high in tension. So in addition to putting additional tension on the oud that it might not be designed for, it might sound lousy to boot. Good luck, glad you found that extra string !!

Cheers..PaulO

Go To Top