Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish oud players--vote for your favorite strings
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 05:11 AM
Turkish oud players--vote for your favorite strings

Strictly Turkish ouds here. What brand set do you like the best?

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 10:27 AM

My three favorites:

Custom Pyramid Lute strings from Germany with PVF trebles

John Bilezikjian's Special light tension La Bella sets (only available through Mr. Bilezikjian)

Hank Levin's sets with the PVF trebles

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
MrOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 04:47 PM

I've only used D'Addario and LaBella. I thought D'Addarios were terrible so I stuck with LaBellas.
I get my custom gauged strings from Haig Manookian a.k.a the string professor :)

Regards,

Udi Mike
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 07:49 PM

Pyramid strings...i like them so much. I don't know that I've tried the PVF, i don't think so.

I really think Pyramid is the only string that has this kind of elasctic quality that i really like. other brands feel stiffer and have less sustain.

probably also depends so much on the instrument.

a couple months ago when I was with Necati Çelik in Vienna, he had 3 uds by the Istanbul Mustafa (amazing instruments!) and i think he told me the strings were Küschner (not sure how to spell that) and i loved the way they felt.

adam
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:23 PM

Ah, Mavrothis.

I have just ordered a couple of sets of hank levin. I have only used La Bellas, they sound great to me. What are hanks sets like, do they last longer?

A friend of mine here who plays oud, can't find out what strings orignally came on his oud. They are really light in tension, and he is trying to find a set to match these. Lighter than labella and pyramid.

What are the PVF's like?

Regards,
Paddy
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:23 PM

Hey Monty,

Hank's are pretty nice, especially if your oud needs a little higher tension to avoid extra fingerboard buzzing.

They seem to last pretty long, and I like the sound. PVFs are great for giving a very bright and strong tone with less tension than equivalent nylon strings.

Each oud is different, just like each player. See if you like these and go from there I think.

For nice, light sets, maybe combine PVF trebles (.50 for D, .60 for A), and the light La Bella sets from Bilezikjian or Haig Manoukian...

You can always go the best/pricier route and order Pyramid Lute. I'm happy to share my preferred gauges to anyone who's interested.

:)

mavrothis

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 05:57 PM

Can you let us know what guages you use mav (or anyone else)?

So far I've only used La Bella which I really liked. I have a new set of D'Addario I'm getting ready to put on. I also have some slightly used Pyramids someone was generous enough to give me that I'm looking forward to trying.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 05:24 AM

Hey,

My Pyramid Lute string recommended gauges/IDs for tuning d a e B A E are:

.50(d) .60(a) 1009(e) 1016(B) 1020(A) 1026/1028(E/D)

The Pyramid Lute string types I use for the following tuning are:

.50(d) .60(a) 1009(e) 1016(B) 1024(F#) 1440(C#/B)

For the trebles, I wouldn't go higher than .52/.62 respectively, on Turkish tuning.

Feel free to experiment a little with all the gauges I've recommended, but I think that these give a balanced (on the light side) stringing for your oud. :)

More info here (I recommended slightly different gauges before, I think the ones above are a little more accurate):

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2774#pid17796

Take care,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for chiming in, for those of you who haven't, please do.

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:45 AM

am i too late?

I use the last 6-7 months custom lute strings from Kuerschner (german manufacteur http://www.kuerschner-saiten.de/english/start.htm ). Very loud and clear and they totally match with my Faruk Turunz oud.
I tested them once after i spent a serious amount of euros experimenting with different gauges from Pyramid(perfect quality too) but i was not soo lucky. With Kuerschner was a bit easier.

Nikos
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 04:58 AM

Well the D'Addario's are wretched. My year old la bellas were louder and had more even tension than these things. I'm going to put these Pyramids on in a few days and if I like them I'll order a new set.
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 06:21 AM

Peter Kyvelos designs a great set with combinations of la bella strings...his shop is Unique Strings in Belmont, MA.
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 08:13 AM

Hey,

I forgot to mention the Kurchner strings (can't remember how it's spelled either). But they are very nice too, I agree with other guys who posted about them.

Right now I'm using Pyramid lute strings on my Faruk Turunz, and La Bella wounds on my Dimitris oud with Pyramid PVFs for the trebles. The Dimitris is still very new and has super low action, so I probably need to change the .50/.60 gauges of PVFs to .52/.62 respectively.

You can get these trebles from Pyramid Lute, Kurschner (try another spelling), and Hank's Music caravan strings. :)

When it comes to nylon trebles, I don't like the thick ones you usually get with a set from most of the string companies...they seem too thick for my taste, and affect the sound too much. I feel the PVFs allow the sound of the oud to really come through, though lighter nylons will have less of an influence on the clarity of sound.

mavro

--Edgard Varèse
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 08:20 AM

mav,

Where do you get your strings? The only place I found with Pyramids was a European site. I'm sure there are places stateside to get them
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:30 AM

Jason,

If you look above at my first response, I've linked a thread where I talked about how to order Pyramids. There is a supplier here in the US, in Massachussetts, but I prefer to get them straight from the factory.

I find they are easier to deal with, and more willing to help (and also are comfortable with using emails, etc, for orders). They even accept US personal checks, so there's really no discouraging factor involved in ordering from them, especially if you make a larger order.

If you personally don't need a lot of strings, group up with some other players and make one bulk order, you'll probably even get a discount if you purchase above a certain amount.

Take care,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 04:41 AM

Note to Mike: the quick reply feature at the bottom of post pages is not working. 2 times I've lost messages I typed there!

I use Kirschner and Aquila here. It's hard to get Aquila in Istanbul, so I bought a dozen sets of Kirschner here.

LaBella's quality control has been ATROCIOUS since 2004. In the 1990s I used HUNDREDS of sets of their strings, and found about a 10% failure rate for new sets, but now it's over 50% - sets with 2-3 unplayable strings or differently gauged strings right out of the packet. Until I have evidence that a new quality control system is in place at LaBella, I will NEVER buy any product directly or indirectly (Labella strings with another brand) from them. I hope that LaBella reads this message and realizes they have slipped in quality, and hope they return to their prior quality someday.

My classical guitarist friends never have this problem - if they buy a $15 or $20 set of strings it's going to work as expected. Why should oud be any different just because it has a bent neck?
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 08:33 PM

Hey guys question here.

Right, I originally had labellas, and the sound was nice. Quite nice actually.
I recently put a set of Hank Levin's music caravan strings on (tuning EABEAD) and I love them. They are just a little bit higher in tension and make my oud sound nice. Also with those strings I ordered a set of the Necati Celik ones. Now when I inspected the Necati strings, I compared the plain nylon strings of the two types of sets.

The thinnes D strings from both sets were the same in appearance (plain, clear nylon)

But the plain nylon A strings differed slightly. In the Armenian tuning set, the A strings were the same clear nylon as the D strings, but in the Necati Celik set, the A nylons were a slightly SLIGHTLY milkier colour. Now I don't think they were PVF, because I would think both the Ds and the As would be that colour, and I didn't order them anyway.

So, I had tried the armenian tuning strings and loved them. The problem I have always had, is that the A strings (plain nylon) have never been as bright as I would like them to be. My oud is a nice intermediate instrument, nothing crap. With the labellas, the As were OK, not bright enough still, and on Hank levin's sets, the A's were pretty much the same sound. The D's from both sets were both the same, nice and bright sounding. It is the A's that I want to try and get a more trebly sound out of.

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) put the milky-coloured A's on from the necati set to see if they sounded different. They sound pretty bad right now, very dead and no ring to them. I might have to put the other ones back on. I have a new set of labellas as well for emergency but who knows.

THE QUESTION: Mavrothis, Eliot, Adam,

What strings have the best sounding trebles? I've heard pyramids on my friends faruk turunz, and they sound great. What are pyramids like in terms of life span, tension etc.

Regards,
Paddy
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 08:33 PM

Hey guys question here.

Right, I originally had labellas, and the sound was nice. Quite nice actually.
I recently put a set of Hank Levin's music caravan strings on (tuning EABEAD) and I love them. They are just a little bit higher in tension and make my oud sound nice. Also with those strings I ordered a set of the Necati Celik ones. Now when I inspected the Necati strings, I compared the plain nylon strings of the two types of sets.

The thinnes D strings from both sets were the same in appearance (plain, clear nylon)

But the plain nylon A strings differed slightly. In the Armenian tuning set, the A strings were the same clear nylon as the D strings, but in the Necati Celik set, the A nylons were a slightly SLIGHTLY milkier colour. Now I don't think they were PVF, because I would think both the Ds and the As would be that colour, and I didn't order them anyway.

So, I had tried the armenian tuning strings and loved them. The problem I have always had, is that the A strings (plain nylon) have never been as bright as I would like them to be. My oud is a nice intermediate instrument, nothing crap. With the labellas, the As were OK, not bright enough still, and on Hank levin's sets, the A's were pretty much the same sound. The D's from both sets were both the same, nice and bright sounding. It is the A's that I want to try and get a more trebly sound out of.

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) put the milky-coloured A's on from the necati set to see if they sounded different. They sound pretty bad right now, very dead and no ring to them. I might have to put the other ones back on. I have a new set of labellas as well for emergency but who knows.

THE QUESTION: Mavrothis, Eliot, Adam,

What strings have the best sounding trebles? I've heard pyramids on my friends faruk turunz, and they sound great. What are pyramids like in terms of life span, tension etc.

Regards,
Paddy
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty88

Paddy do you mean best sounding treble strings like...the D and A strings? or do you mean best sounding treble like...brightness or producing higher frequencies/overtones?

best sounding D and A strings? I dunno for sure since i haven't tried a million things but, my Pyramids work juuuuuust fine. i like the way they feel. (I'm about due for a string change now and have a set of Küschner at home, dang how do you speel that. I'll put them on next and try to give a report)

and if you mean treble like upper partials ok, now this is coming from someone who really likes to hear LOTS and LOTS of overtones ringing out in his stringed instruments. and again, Pyramids are doing the job really well for that. In other words, I don't like playing instruments that have dead sounding strings. Some people love it, I think Ara Dinkjian likes it and he gets an amazing sound. guitarist Pat Metheny for years used flatwound strings that were up to 1 year old or something and his sound was great. somehow as dead and quick to decay as that was, he got some sustain. it's probably one reason i like tanbur so much, the zzzzzing and the strings are so long, you get so many overtones. i love the natural reverb.

adam
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 07:10 AM

Hi,

I prefer PVF's for my treble strings, and I also like Adam love lots of overtones. There are lute strings from LaBella that Haig Manoukian recommends, and also custom D'addario strings, which are more earthy in sound.

It takes some experimentation, but heavy, nylon strings generally seem to hurt the sound of an instrument in my opinion, whereas if you can get something lighter, and of better material, than it allows the sound of the instrument to ring through.

mavro

--Edgard Varèse
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 12:19 PM
What does Al use?

What strings does Al Bardezbanian use?? what a sound. I've only used Aquila Nylgut which have a very rich sound on my Haluk oud (which is loud and getting louder!!)but I think I would prefer a slightly more resin-like sound - a bit dryer and earthier.

What suggestions do you have for this.:airguitar:

Leon
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 03:11 AM

I picked up Kyvelos' special lute set for Turkish ouds, and I love them. They are actually a special LaBella lute string--I know a lot folks don't like LaBella oud strings. I actually liked them, but agree that quality control was a problem, particularly on the wound strings.
Kyvelos' lute set sounds nothing at all like LaBella oud strings. The trebble strings have a great punchy sound. They're a bit thicker than you might be used to if you play the regular LaBellas. The sound is rich and even throughout.
He also has an Arabic set that I am going to try shortly.
Well worth the money.
If you are interested, his phone number is:
617 489-1254

Go To Top