Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking to buy an OUD
TheProfessor
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 10:09 AM
Looking to buy an OUD

Hello,

My name is Anthony and I am from Montreal Canada, but from Lebanese Decent. I am a guitar player and looking to buy my first oud and learn to play.

I have found this one on ebay and was hoping for some feedback. From what I have been reading over the past few weeks on the forums and other websites... I am interested in an Arabic Model with 11 strings. I found this

Egyptian Oud

Please let me know some feedback.

Thanks,

Anthony
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 11:00 AM

Nooooooooooooooo!

Do not under any circumstances buy this oud! These heavily ornamented "instruments" are suitable for hanging on a wall and nothing more.
Most of the ouds on ebay are not good. If you are of Lebanese descent and still have family connections in the middle east, I suggest you visit or try get someone to get something for you there and ship it here. You'll be better off. Also, if you already play guitar, you should probably buy a good instrument and not a beginner one.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 11:01 AM

Although sam81dc from this forum is selling a Syrian Sukar oud on ebay; those are good instruments generally.
TheProfessor
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:22 PM

Really,

See good to ask questions.....

I emailed Haluk Eraydin concerning his Turkish OUD's, from what i have read around, this guy seems to know his stuff and others are very happy with his business ethics and quality of his instruments.

Are there any others that have any comments about Haluk's OUD's ?

Let me know guys,

Thanks a bunch!

Anthony
TheProfessor
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 08:36 PM

Can anybody vouch for these?

Mid East Onlline Store

Thanks,

Anthony
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 10:54 PM
Haluk Ouds

Hello there

I have an oud from haluk Eraydin since last November - if you go on his website it is the professesional model, normal quality for $379. I've had no problems with this at all - it sounds good - in fact the sound is getting better partly because I am improving but also the top is maturing.

I know he sells 'beginner' ouds for $300 at the moment and I am not sure if these are the same as the model I have - from what I have heard from other members these seem very good but Haluk will tell you himself.

The oud came well packed and the service was first class - Haluk is great to deal with VERY honest and obliging. These are not factory made ouds but hand-built instruments made for playing. This is important as many ouds out there are really for decoration. I am in the UK and my oud has not buckled, bent, bowed or split in any way. The strings don't buzz and everything that is meant to be stuck down (ie bridge) is still stuck down!

These are Turkish ouds and if this is what you are after I would definately recommend them.

PS - Hello to Haluk if you read this, hope you are well.

Regards
;)
Leon
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 04:35 AM

I would avoid all those ouds on Mid-east. Haluk's beginner oud is really, without a doubt, the best 'cheap' oud available today. The only way you could get an oud as good for that price would be to go to the middle east yourself. What is your budget for this oud? Once you get into the $600-700 there are some more options you can look at.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 06:04 AM

Hello there...
I have a couple of ouds for sale if your interested. Including one Iam finishing restoration on it in a couple of days. (I'll be putting up pictures soon guys ;) ) The good thing is Iam in Ottawa so I can drive the oud to your door... or you can comme down to see and play them.
I'll send you pictures of the ouds I have for sale if you send me a mail at samir_nassif@hotmail.com
Just so you know. The ouds I have are in a higher range (quality and price) then the beginer ouds you were looking at.
TheProfessor
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-25-2006 at 07:55 AM

Thanks alot for the feedback.....

Well thing is I'd like to approach the OUD the same as I approached the guitar. I bought a learner model classical guitar for 100$ and said to myself....If I like the instrument and get good at it ill invest in a professional guitar. Since then 15 years ago lol... I have 5 guitars including a dual neck Gibson SG.

I figured i'd do the same with an OUD just in case. I am really interested in Haluk's learner model Also for now 300-350USD is all I can afford right now. But I have some questions like..

- Because I am interested to play popular arabic and debke songs with the OUD....can a turkish model accomadate contemporary arabic music.... like Ragheb Alama's music

- Because it is a turkish OUD, do strings have to be modified to play in arabic tuning? Do I have to change the strings? or ask Haluk to string it with arabic strings?

I have been spending the pase 2 weeks reading almost every website and luthier's site So i am really trying to learn before buying....

Thanks friends,

Anthony
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 06:53 AM

Hello Leon,

Thank you I am fine.Enjoy your oud.
Regards.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your nice comments.
Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 06:54 AM

Hello Leon,

Thank you I am fine.Enjoy your oud.
Regards.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your nice comments.
Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
gokceengin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 04:51 PM

ouds.atspace.com
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 11:53 PM
my oud-1 Wenge-Juniper combination

This is my oud-4 $799 priced,Juniper-Wenge combination.

I use Spruce for soundboards on my all ouds.Fingerboards and pegs are Ebony on professional models.

Regards all.

ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 12:01 PM

hi Anthony, check you're U2U
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 02:11 PM

hi anthony

i have 4 turkisch ouds made by 3 different makers they are all fine instruments
and i use arabic tunings CEAdgc on all of them with normal La Bella, Pyramid and
now Aquila Nylcut Strings it works fine.

even my cheapest oud from ALTO (Izmir) witch I use in my summer-house in morocco
is a nice one. i have bayed less than 100,-Euro on e-bay germany and it was new.

regards
mourad

Go To Top