Printable Version  
Author: Subject: distance of positions from 1/2 to 6
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 07:32 PM
distance of positions from 1/2 to 6

hello all,

Whilst checking on the lists previous topics I could not locate what I was looking for, although knowing my luck it is sitting probably right in front of me, so here I go. What is the distance from the 1/2 position to the sixth one? I mention this since although I have been playing for two years I still don't really know where they are per se. My goal is to get to know where they are so that I can get a better feel for the notes that I want to be able to play. Any help is greatly appreciated in this matter.

dennis
todda
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 07:43 AM

Hi Dennis -

I'm a beginner also and had no referance for the whole note and mico-tonal note positions. The location will depend on the distance between the nut and bridge ( I have 3 ouds - 1 Bashir style and 2 traditional fixed bridge styles that have diffenent string lengths ) this has made it hard to go from one neck to the other and be off.
To learn the location of the note postions I used a Korg electronic tunner and marked on the side of the neck with a small white dott of "white out" when I hit that note. I'm basically setting the "fret" position of the whole notes and then have a guide to refine by ear as I memorize the locations.
This has helped because I find I'm sharp in my interpretation of the correct "sound" postion and the sight marker helps me to check.
This is the same concept that violin and cello students learn by adding tape to the back of the neck.
The electronic tunner was the biggest help - it guides my postions and ear training for the sharps and flats and micro-tones - worth the expence.

Hope that helps

Todd

Go To Top