Printable Version  
Author: Subject: east coast concerts
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 04:24 PM
east coast concerts

hey all
can someone tell me some oud concerts on the east coast in nj or even ny that would be great.
thx sammy
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:09 PM

Simon Shaheen is doing a concert at Cornell next Thursday the 7th, but I think it's sold out. He's also doing a couple of shows in Philly and NY in early Nov. but I don't know the details yet.
There's stuff happening in NY all the time; get on the Arabic Music Retreat mailing list and you'll hear about stuff (arabicmusicretreat@yahoogroups.com). Also check Alwan for the Arts website, they have concerts there frequently.
Mavrothis plays in the city a lot as well; he's terrific.
Sufi Books, Columbia University, and The Museum of Natural History sometimes have events. A lot of events are sponsored by the World Music Institute or the Center for Traditional Music and Dance, so check them out. Symphony space has a lot of great (but often somewhat expensive) concerts.
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:18 AM

Richard Hagopian's annual Kef concert is happening in November in Hartford, Connecticut...he will be joined by some AMAZING musicians playing mostly Armenian and Anatolian music...its definitely worth the trip for this 3 day event...Dr. Jonathan Varjabedian is a good source for info on this...
amos

Our music is like an ocean...
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:49 AM

hey amos and brian
thx for the info i will lookinto all of these place and hope to be at a bunch of them
thx sammy
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 01:52 PM

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the compliment, I'm looking forward to your next performance, please announce it here when it's coming up.

There are several Middle Eastern themed nights going on every week here in NYC, with oud players like Haig Manoukian and other greats playing, even our own MrOud (who played in my neighborhood recently without telling me!).

If anyone is ever visiting Queens/Manhattan/Brooklyn, feel free to contact me and I'll see what I can find out about the scene the time of your visit.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
MrOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:30 PM

Oooops. Mavro, I sat in for Steve Boghosian on a very short notice that evening. I am sure Andonis will confirm that. I even asked him if I should call you, but he said that you were busy.
Sorry brother, next time hopefully.

I play regularly on Wednesday nights at MAIA Meyhane in East Village. Its on Avenue B Between 6th and 7th.

Regards,

Udi Mike
ishkandar
Oud Lover

Mood: happy being miserable

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 10:06 AM

Natacha Atlas is going to be playing in New York on Friday, September 15, 2006, at 8 PM. The teather is on Broadway, way up at 95th Street. She has several songs with an oudist playing in them. I think tickets are going for $32.00 a piece. I bought my tickets so long ago I can remember! Where the heck did I put those tickets?

I'll be the good looking, fat, and hairy Lebanese kid dancing with his shirt off! Look for me, if you attend. (Hopefully, just joking!) ~~Alex

Go To Top