Printable Version  
Author: Subject: i broke my hand!
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:15 AM
i broke my hand!

hi everyone,
i am typing with one hand today brcause i broke my 5th metacarpal on my left hand last night. i am incredibly depressed right now and i have lost several gigs due to being unable to play for several weeks...about three weeks probably. anyone know about these injuries and how theyy affect oud playing later on? its a very small fracture and the dr.'s say it will heal well but i am so bummed out. guess i just have to study maqam theory for a couple weeks...all the best to everyone,
depressed in maine, usa,
amos

Our music is like an ocean...
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:29 AM

I don't know much about injuries, but I sincerely hope that you get well soon, and that you get back to playing as good as you were, if not better.

Regards,
Hamid
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:04 AM

hey amos
due i feel so bad for you i know how it feels last year i broke my thumb and i cound not play for about 6 to 8 weeks and it killed be i healed great and now i am playen beter i hope everythig goes weel and hope you get back on yr oud soon.
and all i have to say is refuah shelamah which mean get well soon in hebrew
feel beter ttyl
thx sammy
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:40 PM

bummer - my worst nightmare. believe it when i say i'm thinking about you and hope you heal soon.

- bill
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:43 PM

Hi Amos,

I hope you will recover soon.

Best wishes.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hanibal
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 01:41 PM

Hey Amos,

The fracture you got is likely the common variety called a boxer's fracture. The reason is that someone who knows how to throw a punch knows that the second and third knuckles are supposed to land the punch, but most people not trained will end up hitting whatever they're aiming at with the fifth and sometimes fourth knuckle, and since those knucles are not lined up straight with the forearm, they have a higher rist of breaking. The good news is that your fracture can handle a significant amount of "angulation" deformity. That is the angle the two broken pieces end up in, up to 30 to 40 degrees without having any significant effect on function. The important part not to miss is having any rotational deformity, where the two broken parts are rotated along their long axis. Even a small amount of rotational deformity can have large effect on the distal tip of the affected finger. You can test to see if you have any rotational deformity by holding both palms toward you, and slowly flexing, bending that is, you fingers and observing if the broken finger points in a different direction as the same finger on the other hand as you slowly flex them. If that turns out to be the case, your doctor, or an orthopedist should reduce the fracture. One other point to bear in mind, is if the fracture involved the joint space, then an orthopedist needs to look at it to determine if any other measures need to be taken.

Just so you know, I'm an emergency physician, so you can count on the information I just wrote.

One other thing though. The idea that most of these fractures that have no rotational deformity, and some angulation deformity will heal well without significant functional problems applies to most people, but as a musician, it's hard to say how much angulation would be tolerated. I hope you mentioned that to your doctor. If not, you should let him or her know. I'm assuming you're right handed here. If you're left handed, then that shouldn't affect your oud playing as long as you pick with your left hand.

Heal well,
Hani
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:21 PM

Hi Amos!

You'll be fine! Last yeas a friend of mine felt on my left hand when we were moowing the apartment (3rd, 4th finger). I was not able to play with 3 and 4 finger for 2 months, but I played just with 1st & 2nd, and after some time, it was over, and I don't feel any problems. :))
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:32 AM

Hi Amos, perhaps sometimes it's better to imagine that it could had been worse, so as to feel lucky in fact, rather than thinking it could have been better.. I mean: ok sure you broke your left which you won't be able to use temporarily. But within a few weeks you'll play as before, whereas you could have been prevented of playing oud again in your life if maybe something worse had happened to your hand, as it sadly happens at every second to somebody in the world..

Ok I'm maybe not a great psychologist, but as Sammy wrote I wish you a "refoua shelema"

Benjamin
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:30 AM

thank you all SO much! i really appreciate everyone's supportive and informative replies....i am all splinted up and trying to relax and heal, and all of your positive energy helps more than i can say.
thank you all and i will be thinking of all of you!
amos

MrOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 05:05 PM

Amos,

I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't wish that to happen to anyone, especially a musician. I know it's no consolation but maybe you can take advantage of the situation and practice your tremelos in the mean time.
Hope you feel better soon.

Regards,

Udi Mike
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 05:41 PM

Hi Amos,

I like Mike's suggestion about the tremelo's, or your's about studying makam theory. Just don't rush back into playing, giving yourself a little extra time to re-adjust to fingering, you know instead of practicing for 2 hours the first day...:rolleyes: Just a suggestion !! Hope the healing goes well, and take care. Oh yeah -- during the down time you could also listen to tons of tunes and work on your vocals. Take care man, all the best.

PaulO
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:43 AM

thanks mike and paulo, good advice and good suggestions...thank you for your genuine concern guys.
amos

Mascun
Oud Maniac

Mood: Top of the world !

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:25 AM

Hi Amos,

I'm a classical guitar teacher in SW France, and in 1988 I broke three fingers on the left hand : the pinky, the ring and the middle. I can well imagine your state of mind :wavey:

I went without playing for many years (I also played the renaissance and baroque lutes), then a very distinguished 85-year old american virtusoso cellist, Bernard Greenhouse, talked me back into playing again, and by jeez am I glad I took his friendly advice. I'm back to the guitar again, and for the past year, the 'ud, and I just don't think about the slight deformity of my fingers and their occasional stiffness :)

Hani's advice seems very sound, so just sit back and enjoy whatever life has to offer you now. And you'll probably be surprised at how your musical feeling has evolved once you get back to playing again !

Best of luck,

Alan
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 03:21 AM

mascun,
i am so happy that you have begun [playing again after so long. thank you for your kind advice. i played the oud last night, as my new cast leaves my first two fingers free. it was clumsy but felt great!
thank you all and i will keep you posted.
amos

Go To Top