Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who can tell me more about my Oud (Ali Khalifeh)
fbassman
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 05:11 AM
Who can tell me more about my Oud (Ali Khalifeh)

Hi All !!

I am Franck a new forumer from France.

Yesterday, i bought a Oud who was manufactured by Ali Khalifeh and sons (there is a label inside the Oud with a picture of Ali, i guess).
It is in mint conditions execpt a sticker trace on the face of the instrument.
It's a very nice piece.
Who can tell me informations about this Syrian luthier ? Any ideas about my instrument, year old, value ? I bought it 90 euros (= 90$).
Which kind of stings must i buy for it ? Anybody has a scheme about the way to fix the strings at the keys (wich one goes to wich key), and how can i chord it ?

Many thanks.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 08:40 AM

fbassman -

like me, you are the happy owner of an inexpensive, slanderous, tourist quality oud from damascus. i understand that when he was alive, ali khalifeh himself was an excellent luthier but that his nephews took a quantity - as opposed to quality - approach to the market after assuming control of their uncle's business and cash in on his good name.

other than price, the main advantages associated with this oud are:

- its slightly wider fingerboard (more comfortable for guitarists)
- its projection (tone's not great but people can hear it)
- its light weight (you can play for hours while standing or strolling around, as i do)

its disadvantages will no doubt reveal themselves shortly (denigrating comments from fellow oudists being high on the list) but neck warp will probably be the most dramatic.

for strings, try aquilacorde:

http://www.aquilacorde.com/catalogo13.htm

... hands down, all-time best oud (and other) strings, ever.

as to the order of strings, have a look here:

http://www.oudcafe.com/stringing_and_tuning.htm

.. a site full of interesting and informative material for the oud beginner, generously supplied by the generous mavrothis.

"my" luthier had a go at the khalifeh oud my wife bought for me one xmas and he turned it into something special. here's a thread with photo:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3716#pid245...

... if i were you i wouldn't waste money on reconditioning yours. mine was a gift, so i didn't mind the expense but imho - should things go wrong - you would do much better to save your pennies and buy a quality oud elsewhere.

any oud is better than no oud.

regards - bill
fbassman
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 09:12 PM

Many thanks for all those informations.

Regards,

Franck
TAFTAF
Oud Lover

Mood: cool

[*] posted on 4-24-2010 at 01:03 PM

sorry never heard of him :D:D but any oud lover would tell what I don't want to say in public but you can see the rips ending and the shape and I don't want to say more. of course I will say my father is www.faikfadhel.

MFMF
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-24-2010 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TAFTAF  
sorry never heard of him :D:D but any oud lover would tell what I don't want to say in public but you can see the rips ending and the shape and I don't want to say more. of course I will say my father is www.faikfadhel.

Doesn't the son of faikfadhel know who ALI KHLIFE is!?!?!?!???????????????????????????????????????

fbassmann, I have two Ali khalifes.
1- One is from the 90's. Nice looking, good finish, but OK sound. Good enough for a beginner.

2- the second from the 80's. Extreemly bad on all the finishing. But sounds like a million dollar, with a base sound that can shake the pyramids.

And I paid around 100$ for them (each)

So you never know! Hope yours is a good one.

P.s. I don't like the way some oud makers are pushing the prices up to the sky (with good help from some super rich average players.)

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.

Go To Top