Printable Version  
Author: Subject: electric ouds
dizzywood
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 03:26 AM
electric ouds

Hi,
since seeing Radio Terrifa in concert, I've been looking out for an electric oud. I've noticed Sukkar ouds for sale on ebay, but, buying blind, I have no idea of the quality. Has anyone tried one?
I have also come across Najouds, but their email address doesn't seem to be working.
The acoustic oud I have sounds fine, but is terrible to tune, so I'm keen to know how good the tuning pegs are on these electric ouds.
Any advice or warnings would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 05:41 AM

I don't know what your budget is but the Najarian electric oud is widely considered the 'best'. There are a couple of people in Turkey who also make them... they're around $500 I think.
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 08:40 AM

Hi Jason,

My electric ouds beginning from $759,cutaway or normal type.

Best wishes.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 06:09 PM

I've heard Haluks are very good instruments. He could put guitar pegs on it for you, but if your a purist, just have him make it with good quality ebony pegs. Then you should be right.

Also, Cankaya muzik evi make very good electric ouds, I tried them out when i was last in Istanbul. They make one with pegs, and one with machine heads. Both are good makers, try these guys out.
dizzywood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 09:48 AM

Thanks for these replies, if only there was an oud shop down the road where I live! Recommendations are the next best thing.
Tommy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 07:40 PM

I had liked the oud for years, but seeing Radio Tarifa finally pushed me over the edge and made me actually go buy one. What an amazing band! It's hard finding other musicians that want to play that kind of music though...

With mine, I commissioned a builder to make a custom acoustic oud with a pickup and a jack on the bottom bout. It sounds good... but feedback is a huge issue. I can't be within about 8 feet of my amp
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 09:41 PM

Dizzywood,
I have an electric oud made by Viken Najarian. As stated in this post, it is the "best." I am no oud master but, having purchased my electric oud a year and a half ago, I play it way more than I play my acoustic oud...it's that fun to play! I would, in my opinion, save up your money and purchase the Najarian electric. It has an amazing tonal quality and has a very impressive sound when I run it through my Alesis Sumo 300 amp. Anyway, just thought I'd give an honest opinion of how much I love the Najarian electric oud!
Bartolus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 03:35 AM

Hi,

I already bought (also because seeing it by Radio Tarifa :)) an electric oud from Haluk Eraydin. The quality is ok, but i dont use this, beacuse i dont like this piezo-like sound.
If you play traditional music or you need to get a natural sound of the oud, I wouldn't use an electric one.

My is casually on sale...

L.
dizzywood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 03:18 PM

Thanks Bartolus,
I haven't been able to find any independent info on the net about the kind of pickups Haluk uses, so thinking of saving for a Najarian which seems to be the one to get (if you lived down the road, I'd definately be interested in trying it out!)
I've also started to sway towards the Godin glissanter. It's definately uglier than an electric oud, but I've read that the possibilities for the sounds you can produce are more versatile on it than on the electric oud.
Tommy, nice to hear from another Radio Tarifa fan!

Go To Top