Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: boring topic, but....D´addario strings for Turkish
Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 01:58 PM
boring topic, but....D´addario strings for Turkish

So, I`ve searched all over this site for the specs, but can`t find them. I`ve a Cankaya Ud, and have Daddario strings. Are they too high tensioned, or what?
Also, I`ve tried, and tried, and have had the worst time getting the non-wound strings to stay on the bridge when I`ve replaced them. They keep slipping. I`ve not had any problems with my Shehata or Baris (Turkish ud), but maybe due to the flat and smooth design of the bridge, them un wind and slip out as i tighten it. I`ve tried everything. Ideas?
teslim
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:50 PM

I usually melt the end slightly with a lighter to form a little ball so it will catch under tension. Be careful to cover the oud so nothing gets on the face or do it before putting the string on. also it just takes a very little touch with the flame to melt . hope this helps.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 04:39 AM

I put D'addario's on my Turkish oud a month or so ago. The unwound strings slipped a bit on me as well. They eventually held though. All in all I really dislike these strings. I had a set of Pyramids on before this, I actually received them used from another board member. They had better volume and tone than the new d'addarios.
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 09:01 PM

A friend of mine put D'Addario's on his cankaya oud before a concert.

The sound was REALLY REALLY brigth on the wound strings, like REALLY bright. Almost as f they were steel strings! Was unusual. And there was close to no buzzing at all, so it almost sounded like they were high tension. I'd be curious to try them. I'm using Hank Levin's strings right now and they are great! Nice tension, good clean sound.

Go To Top