Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: building an oud
nadir
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-22-2004 at 12:05 AM
building an oud

i was wondering how long it takes to build an oud?? also, does it matter whether the oud is professional or not?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-22-2004 at 08:33 AM

Building an oud takes from 4 weeks to 2 years. It depends on the experience of the maker and the complexity of the oud. Elaborate decoration adds time. The most important thing in building an oud is patience and determination. If the part isn't right, take the time to correct it or do it over. The end result will justify he extra time taken to make it right.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "professional" oud. This term is used by makers to indicate better materials and/or more decoration to attract the "professional" player and command a higher price. Any oud that is well made using good materials could be used by a professional player.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2004 at 10:18 AM

I spent about 3 months building my oud working a couple hours in the evening and Saturday. Plus a dozen or so full days. Dr. oud is 100% correct. First thing I decided when I began my oud was that I wouldn't worry about how long it was taking me. That will kill your quality. I meticulously analyzed every step before I did the work so I knew, to the best of my ability, what I was about to do. If you want to reduce the amount of time it takes to make the oud you can do the following things and it shouldn't effect the quality or sound at all (imo).

-Use minimum ribs for back (13), all of the same wood, with no purfling between ribs.

-make only one sound hole

-just put simple one-piece purfling around sound hole and edge of top instead of tiles or anything fancy

-no inlay anywhere

Your oud will be simple, but if you use a pretty wood, very elegant. I plan to make my next oud this way. I would recommend it for the first oud in order to not focus on the decoration. I fell into this with my oud. I didn't let it hamper my quality, but it took much longer than I anticipated. Good Luck.

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-22-2004 at 11:59 AM

Good luck my friend.....is a wonderfull thing to make a new oud....is like a child.....
Regards :wavey:

nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 12:59 AM

do decorative rosettes affect the sound as well??

Go To Top