Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hi... I post this help plea again
ayarfarhan
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 01:53 AM
hi... I post this help plea again

Hi everyone

I am just new on this forum, originally from Iraq, it is great to be a member and share the experiences of everyone. I am actually a Guitar player for more than 27 years, playing Arabic and Maqam Music on my several of guitars. However I have two Ouds started to practice with them about two years ago, One is old Egyptian 1932 and one from Syria- student style, I don’t like the sound on them both, however they done the job for me so far.

I went to Egypt this year, but did not like any of the Oud I saw there, they don’t give a sound that I am looking for. My cousin has Iraqi 1974 Oud made by Mohammad Fadel & Sons, the shape is very classical. Once I touch this Oud, my fingers start to play so soft and the sound is brilliant.

I have two questions:

1- I am now ready to buy the perfect Oud; however being in UK is hard to find one, which I need to try first, any recommended one to buy from the Internet. I do like the Al-Tayyar new Oud. How do they sound? Any body knows? Or any one can recommend quality Oud that I need to buy from a Musician not a just sales person.

2- What about the Electric Oud? Made by Sukar in Syria? Has anyone tried one, and how much is it in the market? Playing the guitar gave me a good experiences in this side, in which pick ups I use, or amplifiers or pedals that goes with it ...etc?

Any help will be appreciated,

Regards to all
Ayar
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 05:28 AM

start saving now for a fadel oud. the life expentancy of human beings gets more promising every day and - who knows! - before extreme old age and death you might be able to afford one (just kidding!)

you might also try talking to a luthier and describe the sound you're looking for.

the trouble with "bespoke" instruments - unless you're fortunate enough to "click" with one right away - is that it takes a long time to realize its uniqueness; its potential ... to play and hear "it" and not some illusive sound you have in your head.

if this is what an electric oud sounds like ... forget it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJYjdv7QQM

i'm sorry but other than that, i can't help you, ayar.

regards - bill
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 09:52 AM

i'm sure that the bad sound of the e-oud in the film
comes from terrible recording equipment
most of the cheap recording microphones of some cameras and mobiles etc.
have to much from frequences between 500 Hz and 2 kHz
no chance for them to catch the bass.
and the hall is to big (to much reverb) to get a good recording this way

regards
mourad

Go To Top