Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Connecticut Kef
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 06:10 AM
Connecticut Kef

I've been looking forward to this all year, but I just had to cancel my trip because of a couple of unexpected things that came up.

Every year, there is an Armenian kef in Connecticut. (is Kef a universal middle eastern word?) 3 days of live music, which always includes oud. Mostly Armenian and Turkish folk music. The oudists there are some of the best Armenian American oud players and one of them, Hagopian, is probably the most influential living Armenian player there is. To my ears, all of them are brilliant.
So, I guess it would be of greatest interest to my fellow Armos, but I think just about any fan of the oud would like the event.
This year, the 36th Annual Kef Time Hartford is at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Cromwell, CT.
Here's the schedule:
Friday, Nov 10 at 9PM: Michael Gostanian Ensemble.
Saturday, 12 noon: Kef with Mal Barsamian and Harry Bedrossian
Saturday, 8:30 PM: Richard Hagopian, Hachig Kazarian (my favorite clarinet player of all time), Kanuni Jack Chalikian.
Sunday, 12 noon: Harry Minassian

I wish I could be there. The Saturday night show will probably go on a long, long time, and everybody there will wish is went on even longer. It will be a great weekend.

If anybody tapes it, I would love a copy, and would be happy to trade you good quality tapes of shows from other years.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 09:43 AM

hi jonathan,
i'll be there! i am so disappointed to know that i will not see you there and get a chance to meet you...i hope that everything is alright. i will try and get some good photos at least and share them with you. take care,
amos

Our music is like an ocean...
Hagop
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 12:01 PM

If you live on the East Coast, Kef Time is essential. Hagopian, Kazarian, and Chalikian rarely come out this way as an ensemble. I've gone the past few years and its just excellent music and a great time. The main event (saturday night) usually ends at around 4am. Its amazing how they play constantly from 8 to 4 without hardly taking any breaks. I have to agree with Jonathan, Richard is definitely the most influential living Armenian player today. Also, Mal Barsamian is something to see too, definitely one of the most versatile and Armenian musicians out there today. He'll be playing the Clarinet on Saturday afternoon, and guitar with the Kef Time band that night.
RA_Oud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 04:17 PM

Jonathan:

I recorded part of the Saturday night show. If you want, give me your address and I will send you a copy.

Go To Top