Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Little music
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 04:59 PM
Little music

Hello - here's a little music recorded late at night. A bit dull sounding due to mic - I still can't get the hang of this.

Regards
Leon
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 06:19 PM

Sounds really good. very relaxing :D

What kind of mic are you using? And where are you placing it? And did you change the strings on your Haluk oud (if this is the same oud)?
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 01:08 AM
Hi Jason

Hello Jason

My mic is an m-audio nova - a large capsule condenser mic and I have it right in front of the sound hole.

My strings are quite new aquila nylgut so no problems there. I do use quite a soft risha - the thick white plastic ones.

I have to say I am looking to get a new oud next year when I can afford one and your Ghadban has the sort of sound I like - bright and resonant - how have you tuned yours? What other ouds have been recommended any Turkish ones?

I kind of want to move to the next stage but can't at the moment get enough practice in (work, courses, small children etc). Patience isn't so much a virtue as a neccesity.

Have a good week

Leon
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:07 PM

Hmm, are you doing any kind of processing once you record the file? I run a bit of compression and then normalize the file once recorded. In the past I've had to EQ recordings too... a lot of mics color the sound.

I have the Ghadban tuned D G A D G C... I have a set of strings on the way for F A D G C F and I'll probably drop the F to E so it matches the tuning I use on electric bass.

I don't think it's ever too early to move to a better oud if you have the money. A nice oud will only make you want to practice that much more.

I looked for a nice Turkish oud for awhile... there are a lot of good luthiers out there. Mr. Farouk Turunz has a very big and avid following. His ouds are very expensive but I've never heard anyone dissapointed by his instruments.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:32 AM
Good advice

Thanks amine - really useful advice the more the merrier - I don't think there are any secrets either but still look for them !!

best wishes

Leon

Go To Top